I have a Randall 2x12 that I bought awhile ago. I want to replace the speakers in it because the ones in it sound like garbage but I just want to make sure its really going to fix it. This is the cab I have http://www.zzounds.com/item--RANRT212RC
I want to put the Eminence Swamp Thang and Texas heat in it because thats what my 4x12 has and they sound awesome but I just dont want to take the risk of buying new speakers and still having this cab still sounding bad. I believe the cab has Celestion Rocket 50s in it and there is absolutely no bass response in them unless I exaggerate the living shit out of it on my Mark 5s eq or if I use the extreme setting. Every other setting sounds really thin through the Randall.
If it's ply and a decent size and decently made it should sound at least decent with good speakers. I haven't tried your cab, nor the rocket 50s, but I think rocket 50s have the rep of being, er, garbage.

It also might be partly your ears- that eminence combo is very chunky-sounding and if you're used to that most things will sound a bit bass-light.

Maybe you have a good reason for wanting the same speakers (maybe the same sound for smaller gigs) but i'd go with different speakers in the 2x12 for some variety. Totally up to you, of course, just throwing that thought out there in case you hadn't thought of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Eminence in my 4x12 are definitely more chunky for sure. But the Rocket 50 speakers just sound like pure garbage. I'm just afraid if i change the speakers I won't be satisfied with the result but I guess theres no way to tell unless I try.
http://celestion.com/product/20/rocket_50/ This is the Frequency Chart for the Rocket 50 and Here is the Eminence http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Swamp_Thang.pdf (Swamp Thang) and http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Texas_Heat_16.pdf (Texas Heat).
Rocket 50s low-priced speakers that enable manufacturers to fill a 4x12 or 2x12 and keep the price down. Because their sensitivity is low compared to, say a Vintage 30, it'll take about four times the power to produce the same volume.
I think you should try the EM12 which is a very good EVM12L which works excellent with Mark amps. They have plenty of low-end.$149

The WGS12L is also another EVM12L clone, but it is $199
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by thrash232
The Eminence in my 4x12 are definitely more chunky for sure. (a) But the Rocket 50 speakers just sound like pure garbage. (b) I'm just afraid if i change the speakers I won't be satisfied with the result but I guess theres no way to tell unless I try.

(a) yeah they definitely have that reputation

(b) Yeah that's about the height of it, unfortunately. you can do all the research you can but eventually you'll either have to bite the bullet and buy new speakers, or sell the cab and buy a different cab (or else put up with the rocket 50s).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. At least you'll know for sure, and have something to compare them to. If you hate them in that cab you can always keep the TH and ST and sell the cab and then put those speakers into a new, better cab.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thrash232
So do you think buying the eminence speakers would be a good decision?

The real question is (as you know) how they'll sound with the smallish cabinet you've got. On the one hand, I have an open back 2x12 combo that sounds great (but doesn't have a lot of bottom end. On the other hand, I have a closed-back 2x12 cabinet that has a lot of bottom end. But it's also ported and is about 2/3rds the size of a 4x12.