(Also posted on Seymour Duncan forums)

I probably need a logic lesson for this one, because I'm thoroughly torn between what I want to do...

Ok, quick rundown of the scene; I've recently graduated (yay me) got some gift monies from multiple sources, friends, family and whatnot... Now you can look up how much a new iPod touch costs, and I'm almost to the point to where I can pay for one myself...

Now here's my dilemma... I am completely undecided on what I want to do with the money... Usually this wouldn't apply to a guitar forum, but here are my options qualify this here

Reasoning for iPod: There's a very good reason I want this iPod. My phone sucks, I never need to make calls, and even so, I could always use Skype or some other voice/video messaging app. I am a very frequent music listener and practice off of YouTube videos very often. I would use this iPod for waaaaay more than a normal person would, and it would make my life very easy. If I were to get this item, it would be worth it for me because of its capabilities and versatility without having to pay a service and network plan with a smartphone. I'll probably eventually buy and pay for my own smartphone once, I have steady income, which I do not have at this point.

Reasoning for Guitar: I am in desperate need for a new guitar. I've just gotten to the point in my practicing career where I am constantly changing strings, tunings, intonations, amp settings, playing styles... it's beginning to drive me crazy having to sacrifice a good setup for the sake of versatility, which my instrument can handle fine, but I'd much rather take the stress of handling all of those changes off of my only guitar, and take some time to give it a breather, work on it, clean/change its guts, and make it better than it is now... but I can only achieve this if I can occupy my fingers in the meantime. My girlfriend isn't there yet, so I'm out of luck there... Also, I've done all my homework on where and how to find a decent guitar around that price range, and I've had my eye on a few of these wonderful machines (less than expert quality, but great nonetheless). I wouldn't have any problem choosing one if I were to take this route.

Reason to Save: ... that's obvious.

If I've left out any part of my situation that'd make this easier to give advice on, please let me know, and I'll clarify further... thanks in advance!
You should just buy me a shed load of games on Steam
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Why not just get a cheap ass used Ipod

There's no reason to get an ipod in 2014, especially a new one at that
Quote by darkcheef
Why not just get a cheap ass used Ipod

There's no reason to get an ipod in 2014, especially a new one at that

well I'm not in the market for a cell phone right now, but I need a reliable device that can handle everything I want to do with it... That goes far beyond games and movies and instagram (which I don't even have), and all that useless crap...
Gleaning from your post I think we can assume that the guitar you want and the iPod are of equal value, otherwise you wouldn't be having this dilemma.

iPod touches are what; 200-400 new? A guitar of equal monetary value is pretty shitty as far as guitars are concerned; used guitars of better quality in the same price range probably won't be worth it either.

Buy the iPod.
I would rather play music than listen to it so guitar
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Have you considered that what you need to do is buy a new amp?

Peavey Vypyr VIP II... amp situation covered a long time ago.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Which is why you need a new one.

Eh... that wasn't even part of my post, but whatever...
Don't 'whatever' just get a new amp
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Get a used ipod and save yourself some money. A guitar that'll cost about the same as an ipod is going to be an awful guitar.
Check out my band Disturbed
Anybody here every heard of Positive Grid apps? Or am I on the wrong forum?
Quote by Godsmack_IV
Which is why you need a new one.

i wouldn't listen to this guy. if your current guitar can barely stay in tune then i would get a new guitar first

but that bird is right if you only have like 200 or 300 bucks. unless you find something really nice used i would save up

edit: i misread, you want a new guitarfor different tunings etc. id still rather have a new guitar than an ipod
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jun 23, 2014,
Do you absolutely need an ipod touch? Because I got a Ipod classic 80gb from gamestop for $80 and I'm all set on music.

You say you practice off of youtube videos often but most people would practice at home and considering you're posting here I'm assuming you have internet and a computer?

I would get an older used ipod and save the rest for a better guitar.
Well if you've just graduated, saving it might not be a bad idea...
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Ok, based off of what I've heard s far, I should buy a used iPod (or none at all) and most definitely save up for the guitar... (The one I REALLY want costs nearly $1000, Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1. Currently I only have $240)

On the other hand I'm definitely not going to have the time to use my computer all the time to use for practicing... Four person family, and three laptops, two of which I cannot use, and I have the crappy cell phone for all my needs.

I'm probably going to end up revisiting this question much later if I've saved up more money. Thanks for all the suggestions!
you cam get a used 2013 ipod on ebay for like a hundred bucks or so, apple products don't actually hold their 'used' value well. I have an ipod touch 3rd gen and tbh it does absolutely everything i want it to, and can handle apps such as instagram you so desperately don't require. all i really do is load it with music and plug it into the car ipod connector and off i go but it can handle all apps if i require it to. (i have a samsung galaxy S5 as a phone so generally do everything on that)

guitar wise as everyone else said, you're not gonna get a top quality guitar (unless you get very very lucky) for $300 but if it's something you so desperately need then you need it.

obviously you're asking in a guitar forum here so answers will be biased...

i personally would buy a used ipod online (ebay is often cheaper than second hand shops) and then either save the rest or blow it on hookers or something.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
give it to your mum or whoever you're gonna be living with now don't piss it away on crap
Quote by Dempsey68
obviously you're asking in a guitar forum here so answers will be biased...

I personally would buy a used iPod online (ebay is often cheaper than second hand shops) and then either save the rest or blow it on hookers or something.

Well that's precisely why I opted to ask on a guitar forum... in a small way, I needed people to talk me out of buying the iPod. I knew full well I needed a new guitar, but at the moment, an iPod, something that was specifically mine, and no one else had the right to touch, sounded like the greatest thing ever based on what I could get out of my phone. I expected that I could do even greater things with a new iPod. But like I said, I'm going to hold onto it, and revisit this situation later.
A tablet would be better than an ipod.
"Being honest may not get you a lot of friends, but it'll always get you the right ones."
^this. A small tablet will be way cheaper and way more useful than an ipod. An even better solution would be some sort of a laptop. If you dont really need it for gaming and stuff, you can easily get one for 300$ that will run GuitarPro and youtube, with the added benefits of programs like word and powerpoint that you can use for school.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Last edited by gorkyporky at Jun 23, 2014,
save, more money means guitar AND iPod
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day