So i just bought a guitar online and found out that it is a lefty guitar, I play right handed. It's an acoustic and I honestly don't know if i could just restring it a n play it the other way. Anyone with input would be awesome!

This is it
I'd either return it or se-sell it and try to recoup my losses.
I have restrung a full dread for lefty. had to turn the saddle around of course as it had a compensated B string. it didn't sound perfect, it threw the intonation off a bit. but it was OK for strumming basic chords.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Where did you buy it from? Are you able to return it?

If so, I would. Re-stringing it to play right handed, while possible, is a hassle. It will also make the cutaway unusable.
Last edited by tom183 at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by agianone
So i just bought a guitar online and found out that it is a lefty guitar, I play right handed. It's an acoustic and I honestly don't know if i could just restring it a n play it the other way. Anyone with input would be awesome!
You know, it almost seems impossible to make this mistake. I think something under 5% of all guitars made are left handed. I think maybe10% of the population is left handed. So basically, you snatched the guitar right out from under the nose of some needy lefty, and then ruin it by making it right handed.

The pick guard will be on the top.

The cutaway will be on the top.

The AE controls will be underneath.

The grooves in the top nut will be backwards.

The intonation compensation in the saddle will be backwards, which will most like ruin the tuning tracking on anything over the 7th fret.

Even the upper bout strap button will be in the wrong place.

And before I forget, the side position markers on the neck will be on the bottom. So you'd have to stick your head under the guitar to read them, while you were playing. That's no mean feat, let me tell you.

Since you're not Jimi Hendrix or Dick Dale, I'd send it back if you can.
restringing an acoustic backwards is a huge undertaking.

You have to get a new nut, a new saddle, and either fill and re rout the bridge or actually replace the bridge. All this must be done in order for the guitar to play in tune.

Something else to consider is that most guitars use similar bracing as Martin guitars and it is not symmetrical. By stringing the guitar up side down you put the wrong amount of stress on the wrong parts of the bracing. It's not something that will damage your guitar, but it will make your guitar so that it doesn't sound as good as it would if it were strung the right way around.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW

Something else to consider is that most guitars use similar bracing as Martin guitars and it is not symmetrical. By stringing the guitar up side down you put the wrong amount of stress on the wrong parts of the bracing. It's not something that will damage your guitar, but it will make your guitar so that it doesn't sound as good as it would if it were strung the right way around.

that's something else that I hadn't considered either.... thank you.
and Cranky..... stop thinking so left-handedly !!!!!
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
...[ ]...and Cranky..... stop thinking so left-handedly !!!!!
"Cogito ergo sum..... ex manus sinestris".....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 25, 2014,
It's easy to tell if a guy is left handed.
They are always extremely handsome.

And yes, return the guitar.
It's hard enough for us lefties to find a guitar to play without someone turning one upside down and spoiling our fun.
Quote by OneOldGuy
...[ ]...It's hard enough for us lefties to find a guitar to play without someone turning one upside down and spoiling our fun.
I said that already, and the other children were rude to me about it....