Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah buddy

Got me a 6505 2x12 Combo! After a week with an Eleven Rack, I found I liked it much more than the POD HD I had. So I went out on the hunt for trades on Craigslist, and came out with this bad boy! (Plus $100 on my end.)

Except for the 5150III, I had actually never had a good sit-down-and-play with a 6505/5150. All I knew was they're notorious for their brutal high gain & mediocre cleans, and now that I've really played one, that couldn't be any more correct. In both weight & sound, this is the heaviest thing on this side of the Mississippi (or the heaviest thing that's ever come out of Mississippi... Get it, because it was... made in... never mind...)

The first thing that hit me was how pronounced the pick attack is; I think that's really what makes this "brutal." It's unlike anything I've ever played. There's this huge thump when you pick, but it immediately disappears to let the note rig out, where if you tried to achieve that on another amp by turning up the bass or resonance, everything would turn to mush. But speaking of resonance, that control on this amp is incredibly powerful. It targets the exact right frequencies in the low end to make it sound "huge" without getting overly boomy. With the turn of a single knob you can cover quite a few different essential metal tones, from tight & "djenty" to big & thick.

But as far as downsides, this thing is STUPID heavy. Like 80 lbs. at least. If I decide to keep this, that will go along with a purchase of casters. If you're considering this amp, you need to get casters. Don't question it. You'll thank me later. Otherwise, I wish this amp were a bit more versatile for the heck of it, but for what I exchanged for it, I can't complain at all. For live situations, it should go well A/B'd with my other master-of-one, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Sound-wise, the highs are a wee bit fizzy; this can be solved easily with an EQ in the FX loop, or I imagine with a speaker or tube swap. My amp in particular came with a warning to not push the master past 7 unless I want a blown fuse, so the output transformer might need a change. But this amp gets plenty loud before 7, so I think I'll be OK.

Here are some riffs!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p_wp1mWSPU
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
You need more than casters. Casters are ok for rolling it from one side of the stage to the other but to move it around you want a trolley/dolly/handcart (whatever they call them in your parts).

HNAD

And replace those shitty Sheffield speakers with something decent.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cool video dude! Can't beat the 6505, I'm missing mine and I think my next module will be 5150 based.

HNAD!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
You might love some Vintage 30s in there.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Sweet vid and story.

I can vouch for V30's kicking ass in combo with them. I saw the \m/ and new I had to click. I love me a 6505.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Cathbard
You need more than casters. Casters are ok for rolling it from one side of the stage to the other but to move it around you want a trolley/dolly/handcart (whatever they call them in your parts).

HNAD

And replace those shitty Sheffield speakers with something decent.

Thanks for the tip! I think I've got one of those

Quote by dementiacaptain
Cool video dude! Can't beat the 6505, I'm missing mine and I think my next module will be 5150 based.

HNAD!

Thank you!

Quote by lemurflames
You might love some Vintage 30s in there.

Quote by R45VT
Sweet vid and story.

I can vouch for V30's kicking ass in combo with them. I saw the \m/ and new I had to click. I love me a 6505.

I think if I keep this I'll go for a V30/K100 combo, which will allow me to mic up both speakers and blend them to my liking.
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
V30/K100 is what I would have suggested too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'd also suggest An Eminence Swamp Thang/Governor combo if you want a lower cost alternative. They sound massive in my 412 cab.

Nice playing, by the way.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I'd also suggest An Eminence Swamp Thang/Governor combo if you want a lower cost alternative. They sound massive in my 412 cab.

I think I have the same set-up in my 2x12 cab. Love it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by KailM

Quote by R45VT
I think I have the same set-up in my 2x12 cab. Love it.

Thanks, I'll consider it!
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Nice photos. HNAD!
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Awesome amp. If Peavey ever manages to make a really great clean channel on them (or on the 6505+), I'll be at the factory door waiting to buy the first unit to come out.

HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
brootal \m/

Awesome

LOL at your vid with the jazz at the start
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by The Judist
Nice photos. HNAD!

Quote by Linkerman
Awesome amp. If Peavey ever manages to make a really great clean channel on them (or on the 6505+), I'll be at the factory door waiting to buy the first unit to come out.

HNAD!

Like if they took the clean tone from the Classic series... Oh man...

Quote by gregs1020
congrats!

Thank you!

Quote by Dave_Mc
brootal \m/

Awesome

LOL at your vid with the jazz at the start

Haha gotta get some Weather Report in whenever I can!
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch

I thought it sounded vaguely familiar. I was gonna say it sounded a bit like jaco
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bassmastamitch
Like if they took the clean tone from the Classic series... Oh man...

My thoughts exactly.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by bassmastamitch

Are you Howard Moon?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Congrats on the new amp. Have a 5150 2x12 combo myself.

If you want more usable cleans, drop a Tung-Sol in V1 (and good delay and chorus pedals). It will smooth out the gain too, but add an OD808 or OD9 in front and you're good for brutal riffish. Or fool around with the red channel and set it up as your cleans and the green channel boosted as your main gain. You'll be surprised how well this works.

Also recommend the JJ power tubes.
Nice!

Now have fun toting that heavy mofo around
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Paroxysm
Congrats on the new amp. Have a 5150 2x12 combo myself.

If you want more usable cleans, drop a Tung-Sol in V1 (and good delay and chorus pedals). It will smooth out the gain too, but add an OD808 or OD9 in front and you're good for brutal riffish. Or fool around with the red channel and set it up as your cleans and the green channel boosted as your main gain. You'll be surprised how well this works.

Also recommend the JJ power tubes.

Thanks for the tips, I'll look into it!

Quote by MatrixClaw
Nice!

Now have fun toting that heavy mofo around

Thank you! I'm not looking forward to it
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter