Since I'm now making the switch from acoustic blues to playing metal rythym guitar, I'm putting big focus on getting the techniques correct and crisp. Down picking, palm muting, alternate picking etc. And practicing them correctly with a metronome. I'm seeing good progress so I want to learn a song that helps further develop good rythym playing while being slightly challenging to push me a bit. Any good suggestions?
I'm not sure what level you are at already so I'll just chuck you a few ideas.

Plenty of Metallica and Megadeth and Iron Maiden.
Unholy Confessions by Avenged sevenfold was one of the first downpicking riffs I ever tried and struggled with.
Parkway Drive's early stuff is pretty easy.
Trivium - Like Light to the Flies, and Rain.
Sylosis - Teras

Really though you say that you're making the switch to metal rhythm guitar. So just try and learn whatever it is that you really wanna play. It's hard to give good recommendations without knowing what sort of metal you want to play. What bands/genres do you like?
I just started practicing this genre about 2 weeks ago so I'd consider myself pretty beginner. I love a7x, pantera, disturbed, megadeath etc. Not really a big death metal or neoclassical metal kind of guy. And I should probably learn what all the metal genres are. There's so many!
Anyone learning metal rhythm should have a good crack at the Rust In Peace album by Megadeth.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Check out Metal Rhythm Guitar volumes I & II by Troy Stetina.
I think that Master of Puppets is considered a classic from this genre, and it is indeed quite tricky to play. Basically, i think that younger Metallica is what you looking for.
Quote by Rcj520
Since I'm now making the switch from acoustic blues to playing metal rythym guitar, I'm putting big focus on getting the techniques correct and crisp. Down picking, palm muting, alternate picking etc. And practicing them correctly with a metronome. I'm seeing good progress so I want to learn a song that helps further develop good rythym playing while being slightly challenging to push me a bit. Any good suggestions?

Well since you're switching to metal I assume you have metal songs that you like?
I'd recommend some Killswitch Engage for beginners and some As I Lay Dying and All That Remains (their stuff before Overcome) for some challenge. This stuff really gets your right hand up to shape (considering you use the right technique).