Are the LTD specs literally IDENTICAL to the ESP one? So I ordered a brand new LTD snakebyte today, I looked over the specs of the LTD and ESP and they are IDENTICAL! Actually, I take that back, the ESP version (yes the version that is 3 grand more) does NOT include a case while the LTD one does! Lol what am I missing here? Im a big ESP fan and also own a ESP M-II, I admit, im usually a ESP snob and look down on LTD, but come on. I would feel like a complete moron spending 3 grand extra for the esp version in this case

ESP specs; price $3999.99

Body Type Snakebyte
Left-/Right-handed Right-handed
Body Material Mahogany
Top Material Not applicable
Body Finish Polyurethane
Color Snow White
Neck Material Mahogany, Set
Neck Shape Thin U
Scale Length 24.75"
Fingerboard Material Ebony
Fingerboard Inlay JH
Number of Frets 22, XJ
Nut Width 1.654"
Bridge/Tailpiece Tonepros locking TOM
Tuners Sperzel locking tuners
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup EMG JH-N active humbucker
Middle Pickup No middle pickup
Bridge Pickup EMG JH-B active humbucker
Controls 1 x volume, 1 x tone, 3-way pickup toggle
Strings (.010-.046)
Case Included No case included ( like seriously?!)
Manufacturer Part Number ESNAKEBYTESW

LTD version specs; price $1099.00

Right-handed
Body Material Mahogany
Body Finish Polyurethane
Color Snow White
Neck Material Mahogany, Set
Neck Shape Thin U
Scale Length 24.75"
Fingerboard Material Ebony, 13.7" Radius
Fingerboard Inlay JH
Number of Frets 22, XJ
Nut Width 1.654"
Bridge/Tailpiece Tonepros locking TOM
Tuners Locking
Number of Pickups 2
Neck Pickup EMG JH-N active humbucker
Middle Pickup No middle pickup
Bridge Pickup EMG JH-B active humbucker
Controls Neck Volume, Bridge Volume, 3-way pickup toggle
Strings (.010-.046)
Case Included Case included
Manufacturer Part Number LSNAKEBYTESW
Last edited by Metalguy5784 at Jun 23, 2014,
They probably use a better cut of wood for the ESP. This compounded with the better name plus higher paid employees at the ESP factory vs the LTD factory accounts for the 3 grand markup.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
They probably use a better cut of wood for the ESP. This compounded with the better name plus higher paid employees at the ESP factory vs the LTD factory accounts for the 3 grand markup.

Maybe, maybe not. Both do list mahogany and ebony for the wood and fingerboard, i still cant get over the esp doesnt even include a case lol, cracks me up. I usually hate LTD almost as bad as I hate line 6 amps but after hearing the praise and excellent reviews on the ltd model and watching vids of it, I actually opted for the LTD route this time.

I use to own a KH-2, now spec wise that was a pretty big difference from the LTD 602.
Dunno why you'd hate LTDs, they're very solid guitars. Even the cheapest ones, in my experience. But yeah ESPs are made with better quality parts and better care in Japan while the LTD would probably be made in Korea.

Where are you located and where are you buying from? Cause those prices and the hard case issue seems very out of whack. The LTD shouldn't come with a case and the ESP should and the ESP shouldn't be THAT much more expensive. That price says to me that it's a custom shop model.

For reference, the best ESP dealer in Aus has the Snakebyte at the following prices (AUD)
LTD: $1599 (no case)
ESP: $2799 (w/ hard case)
Custom: $5129

Scaled back to US prices that would probably make the ESP version around $2K, maybe $2200 or something??
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
ESPs are made with better wood and more attention to detail.

Also, usually ESPs come with cases and LTDs don't!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
My LTD bass couldn’t have gotten more attention to detail and the wood is excellent. If you buy a Japanese model you’re just paying a premium for Japanese labor and a premium for the name.
Quote by TheStig1214
They probably use a better cut of wood for the ESP.

Gold-infused wood?

A tiny ampule of Japanese School Girl DNA hidden in the neck heel?
^ lmao!
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

I traded in my ec-1000 for an eclipse and the difference was noticeable right away the quality and detail is just on another level. Which isn't even to say the ec1000 isn't a high quality guitar but its not an eclipse
My Shit:
ESP Eclipse, ESP Horizon III, PRS Mushok Baritone
Laney Ironheart Studio, Blackstar Ht-40
I've owned 2 ltd's so far a cheap ec-100qm (my 2nd guitar wich was pawned) and then the kh-602 (04' model dual emg 81's) and its a beast!! I'm no trying to sound biased, but this thing is a workhorse, its been dropped, banged up, scratched up etc, and it still stays perfectly in tune. The neck is great, fast and smooth. No rough fret edges (my gibson has rougher fret edges lol) and it sounds great! No doubt the Japanese models are gonna be of "higher quality" I say that in quotes because its subjective.. Alot of the signature models get a price hike due to them being..well you guessed it signature models. And they were onced made in the custom shop (not sure about now)

The quality ltd's have for the money are great!!! and the hardware is top notch! I have had nothing but great experiences with ltd's... Hell, i even see alot of bands with ESP endorsements using ltd's live! Honestly i'll be damned if im gonna pay over $3,000+ for ANY GUITAR Unless its custom built to my specs and not somebody else's... They make great guitar's and are truely road worthy. I don't see why you don't like ltd's, IMO you're missing out on some quality guitar's. Try the ltd you might just love it! $3,000+ could be invested into a new guitar AND amp's or other equipment (Mesa mark V!) my kh-602 at the time was around $900 even. its my main axe still to this day! (the v is gonna be overhauled soon, new pickups, wiring, tuners, etc.)
Gear

ESP/LTD Kirk Hammett 602
Gibson faded cherry V
Johnson (cheap ass) acoustic
Boss Gt-3 (old)
Peavey 6505+ 1x12
Last edited by kado.brown.18 at Jun 24, 2014,
You're paying for both the ESP name and the Metallica stamp of approval. All of the Metallica ESP proper models are in that price range. I guess they can get that price for them otherwise they'd lower the price and I'm sure they're made in limited quantities as well. This line of pricing isn't unusual for signature models compared to asian made counterparts. Gibson and Epiphone do the same thing as does PRS USA vs PRS SE, also Ibanez Prestige vs there Chinese stuff.

So, yes the LTD is probably going to sound and play 90% as well as the ESP model but it says LTD on the headstock and to most that's fine but a few will pay $3,000 for what they consider the 'real' thing.
2002 Gibson Les Paul Studio
2014 Fender Strat (American Nitro Honeyburst)
2003 Ibanez Acoustic
Digitech RP500
Blackstar HT5R
My only reason for paying that much for a guitar, and I would if it was that good, is it felt right and sounded right. Usually with guitars you always have something you don't like out of the box feeling wise, something you can't put your finger on. Maybe the difference is that the LTD will have something you won't like, and maybe the ESP will be absolutely perfect. If you have a chance, try em both out. The difference is in the details.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
To my knowledge LTDs in this price range are basically just mass produced versions of their ESP counterparts. Maybe with bit lesser grade piece of wood and less strict quality control but otherwise they are very, very similar. You pay a lot just to have more, better paid people and less machines churning out the guitars.

...plus having an ESP logo on the frontside of the headstock instead of the backside, this is really important.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Both seem to use ebony and mahogany. Do they really have that many different kinds of the same wood and if so, is if really a big difference?
Quote by Metalguy5784
Both seem to use ebony and mahogany. Do they really have that many different kinds of the same wood and if so, is if really a big difference?

There is a difference of using a good piece and a bad piece of wood. Wood is organic, alive material. Not every piece is equally good, one piece of equal size can be heavier and/or resonate more than the other etc...

Plus there are different kinds and breeds of mahogany. Often cheap guitars that say they use Mahogany actually use asian mahogany, also called Nato, where african and south american are the ones more sought after stuff for expensive guitars.

Now if this latter part really matters a damn is another subject and may even turn to cork sniffing but point is, just because it reads mahogany or ebony does not mean much on its own.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3