Page 1 of 2
Hello all .
Never played guitar and just recently now i started to learn some notes. In 2 weeks im gonna get my wage for work and planning to buy guitar for that money.
I have budget of up 200 euros. I like metal/rock. Have small hands. Was thinking about buying les paul special 2 but then poeple say i shouldn't and tons of youtube reviews say it's a good guitar so im confused.
I also not planning to buy big amp im gonna use vox amplug and headset because i don't have private room to play guitar and i wan't to also play at nights.
So what guitar you suggest for small hands? and what headset maybe for voxamplug?
Quote by matiss.gutans
(...) Was thinking about buying les paul special 2 but then poeple say i shouldn't and tons of youtube reviews say it's a good guitar so im confused. (...)

I've played many Epi LP Special II's (they're somewhat common among beginners in my area), and they're crap. They look cheap, they feel like a toy, and they sound pretty bad.
Good reviews on those guitars usually come from people who aren't very knowledgeable about gear yet, and/or are still in the "honeymoon phase" with the guitar.

Get a Yamaha Pacifica 112.
They're well-built, very reliable, and sound good. It has 2 single-coil pickups and a humbucker, so it's versatile enough to fit multiple music genres.

Quote by matiss.gutans
and what headset maybe for voxamplug?

I wouldn't spend much money on headphones just for using with the Amplug. Any ordinary headphones will do.

Maybe look into the Philips SHL3000. They cost less than 20€, and are good.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by Linkerman
I've played many Epi LP Special II's (they're somewhat common among beginners in my area), and they're crap. They look cheap, they feel like a toy, and they sound pretty bad.
Good reviews on those guitars usually come from people who aren't very knowledgeable about gear yet, and/or are still in the "honeymoon phase" with the guitar.

They're well-built, very reliable, and sound good. It has 2 single-coil pickups and a humbucker, so it's versatile enough to fit multiple music genres.

I wouldn't spend much money on headphones just for using with the Amplug. Any ordinary headphones will do.

What about vox amplugs? They are alot of them? should i get metal one? because i want kinda metal but a bit something else too
Quote by Linkerman

I have to agree with the whole Yamaha. Even though when it comes to electric guitars, I prefer fender and so on, I have to say one thing I saw in Yamaha guitrs that I always respect.

Yamaha guitars, no matter what the price are build not in the "a **** it, just use spit instead of glue here" mentality. You still get what you pay for, but it still feels like they tried to make the best they can with the budget, which is always nice, especially for a beginner.
Quote by matiss.gutans
What about vox amplugs? They are alot of them? should i get metal one? because i want kinda metal but a bit something else too

I think it'd be MUCH better if you could get a Zoom G3.

You can play with headphones as well, and it has many effects and amplifier+cabinet models. Plus, the sound quality is really nice.

The Yamaha Pacifica 112 + the Zoom G3 (with headphones) would be an excellent setup to start playing, with a low budget.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Checked g3 and it costs like past 100 bucks. That is NOT my budget XD . Btw what about yamaha Pacifica 012 RM and bm and vl. Because cant get anything else.
I have an amplug. They're better than nothing but just barely. If it's all you can afford then go ahead and get one but you should know that it's money that you'll never get back. A zoom pedal is like all of those amplugs combined into one, plus it has other features that you don't even know that you'll want yet.

Amplugs - 100 dollars will get you three mediocre amp models.
Zoom g3 - models 22? Different amps, plus effects, plus etc.....
Quote by paul.housley.7
I have an amplug. They're better than nothing but just barely. If it's all you can afford then go ahead and get one but you should know that it's money that you'll never get back. A zoom pedal is like all of those amplugs combined into one, plus it has other features that you don't even know that you'll want yet.

Amplugs - 100 dollars will get you three mediocre amp models.
Zoom g3 - models 22? Different amps, plus effects, plus etc.....

maybe something cheaper amp and also with headphone jack?
If you can't afford the zoom then just get what you can afford, but the realistic answer is that you're not going to get good products for less than 100 dollars. Get what you can. The Pacifica is probably a good choice too for you. It gets lots of recommendations around here.

If you're creative and diligent about checking the classified ads then you can sometimes find a deal. There was an interesting hybrid tube amp for 50 bucks near me recently, and i've seen a brand new Roland Cube modeling amp listed for 60 bucks. They're rare though. You'll have to be patient.
Quote by paul.housley.7
If you can't afford the zoom then just get what you can afford, but the realistic answer is that you're not going to get good products for less than 100 dollars. Get what you can. The Pacifica is probably a good choice too for you. It gets lots of recommendations around here.

If you're creative and diligent about checking the classified ads then you can sometimes find a deal. There was an interesting hybrid tube amp for 50 bucks near me recently, and i've seen a brand new Roland Cube modeling amp listed for 60 bucks. They're rare though. You'll have to be patient.

But still.. how bad is les paul sp 2? since i want to try out if guitar is "my thing" and it catches and i don't quit it. if i really will start to love it i will upgrade in months
^ They don't get a great rep. (I don't think I've tried one )

I appreciate what you're saying but this is the big paradox most prospective players go through- you don't want to spend much in case you quit, but spending too little increases your chances of quitting. It's really up to you, but it's worth bearing in mind.

You don't have to spend a fortune, but you can go too cheap too, kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by matiss.gutans
But still.. how bad is les paul sp 2? since i want to try out if guitar is "my thing" and it catches and i don't quit it. if i really will start to love it i will upgrade in months

A little tip from personal experience, a bad guitar can really screw you up when starting, since besides learning how to even pick notes, you might end up simply battling the instrument itself. And that is the last thing you want to be doing.

If needed, it might be best to save up a bit and wait then, and get something that would suit your needs, rather than any thing that can be plucked. : )
Whatever you get just be sure and do a little research on how to set up the guitar. There's tons of tutorials and it's not rocket science. Being on a budget, you probably don't want to pay someone to do it and it's almost certain that a new guitar is not gonna come set up very well. A few hours of research and time and you should be able to get it close by yourself with minimal tools. The only part that would require special tools is if the nut slots need filed and that would be rare for an electric(although common in acoustics). Setting up the guitar includes setting neck relief, setting the string action(height) at the nut and bridge, setting intonation and setting pickup height. It's time consuming, tedious work that might take half a day but well worth it. Even a budget guitar can be a joy to play and sound decent if it's set up well.
I started learning just this last year and bought the Squier Affinity Strat pack that comes with a small amp for $200. While it may not have a very good sound to the discerning ear, the noise coming from the amp sounded fantastic to me and gave me the NGD bug. I still have my Affinity Strat and play it on occaision, but have added 2 guitars, a used Mim Strat and a PRS SE 245 that I got on sale for $400 new, and a used Pro Jr amp. Take the plunge with whatever you can afford and get started NOW while the desire is strong. You will upgrade soon thereafter because of the joy it brings you. Whether you buy within the budget you have now or wait until you can afford better gear to start off with does not matter. Just go for it and you will not be sorry.
Went to guitar shop and messed around with guitars.. boyy guitar playing actually so hard but i kinda like though because it gives a challenge though..
You should be able to find a used guitar that cost twice as much brand new. I'd say go used, and check out the zoom g1x. $50 bucks, tons of amp models, effects, and a looper. I have the g1xon. Its great for headphone practice.
Quote by Linkerman

They do sound bad stock and feel somewhat cheap. But I have a friend that had one and changed the pups, tuners and stuff. After about another 100$-200$ into it without the $$ of the guitar, it won't sound as bad, but will still feel like a toy.

I've never tried a Yamaha Pac. but Yamaha makes some decent stuff. And from what everyone is saying here it's good. I got a Squier Affinity Strat pack as my first. It was bad compared to my Fender. But I got compliments on how smooth the neck was. But go for the Yamaha.

1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Quote by matiss.gutans

Coincidentally, I wanted the Les Paul special 2 when I bought my first electric guitar about half a year ago. I was certain that was the guitar I would buy. My advice is, listen to the reviews on youtube, but don't think that just because they play guitar well they know what guitar you should buy. The number one fact about guitar players is they will be biased as to what guitar to buy (including myself).

So when I did buy my guitar, I walked into the store, talked to a guy there and said I'd been looking at that Les Paul. I was sure I would leave with it. So I tried it, a Squier strat and an Ibanez. I left that day, to my surprise with the Ibanez. It was a lot more versatile and could make a lot more different sounds than the Epi

So what I'm trying to say is keep an open mind as to what guitar you want. Try everything because you have nothing to lose. Although some guitars are better than others in terms of build quality, etc, you might like a $300 squier more than a $1500 Gibson. BUT! Like many people have said in this thread already, a bad quality guitar is not good to learn on. Maybe bring someone who you know who plays guitar with you or ask one of the people at the stores opinion and see what they think, to save yourself accidentally buying a piece of crap.
Quote by Dcat1000
They do sound bad stock and feel somewhat cheap. But I have a friend that had one and changed the pups, tuners and stuff. After about another 100$-200$ into it without the $$ of the guitar, it won't sound as bad, but will still feel like a toy.

I've never tried a Yamaha Pac. but Yamaha makes some decent stuff. And from what everyone is saying here it's good. I got a Squier Affinity Strat pack as my first. It was bad compared to my Fender. But I got compliments on how smooth the neck was. But go for the Yamaha.

I don't think you can go that wrong with a Squier Strat as an entry level guitar.
Quote by Dcat1000

How about shecter or ibanez?
If I had around 200 and wanted a led Paul, I would automatically buy an agile al-2000. It can be bought at rondomusic.com. I think they destroy any epiphone I've ever played. So if you have to save a bit more and get one of those, you won't be disappointed
My advice:

1. Go Cheap and Used - you can buy "twice the guitar" with the same budget, even 3x if you haggle But go as cheap as you can. When I first decided to learn guitar, I was such a noob - I went to a pawn shop and I was appalled that used guitars could cost $200+, lol. Told the guy to give me the cheapest they got, he sold me some Ibanez (I think it was "G something") for ~$80... Lots of water under that bridge, but even though it was the cheapest thing you can find - it did nothing to curb my enthusiasm.

2. Buy what you want and what feels comfortable, nothing else should matter at this stage. At the 200 EURO range (VAT is probably involved) - all guitars are low quality. ALL of them. Go to the store, see which guitar shape is most comfortable to you (Strat, LP, Ibanez, etc.) and look for that shape in the used guitars.

3. Look for a used multiFX pedal like DigiTech rp355, if you don't want to go with an amp. I recently got one and have been messing around with it. It works great for headphone use, PC use, customizable tones, drum kits, etc, and most importantly - you can plug in speakers to it, because even though you don't realize it yet, you will want to play your guitar through some big speakers, even if it's not a guitar amp.

4. Buy an amp, though Something used with effects and headphone jack. They all have volume knobs
I though about buying Roland Cube 15X amp i heard it sounds good and has headphone input too and its like 50 bucks on ebay. Should i buy it?
Last edited by matiss.gutans at Jul 4, 2014,
I haven't tried that Roland amp, but I do have the micro cube and it is a great practice amp. I'm bringing it out tonight for a little fireworks jam session with another guy. If it sounds as good as the micro cube which is smaller you will be very happy to learn on it. $50 sounds like a good deal for it, I just like the smaller one for its battery power portability.
problem with the 15x is it doesn't have many amp models (i think it actually has distortion stompbox models, which don't sound as good). the microcube has the amp models- not as many as the bigger cubes, but some. you really have to go up to the 30 or 40 watt cube models before they start getting good, I think (microcube excepted).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I just want some amp that can be played on headphones but isn't limited to only one musical style i want metal but also could play something else and looping would be nice feature too but i don't wannt to spend over 100 bucks for an amp
You can get a used micro cube in that price range. A blackstar idcore 10 has models and effects for $100 and is also plenty loud.
^ yeah a microcube, vox mini3 or something like that would be worth considering. I haven't played my mini3 with headphones but it has a socket for them (and has tons of amp models).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im thinking to buy Ibanez IBZ10 its 40 euros is it good for metal you think and headphone use?
I haven't tried it, but I doubt it. You can cheap out too much.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok im gonna actually buy Ibanez GSA60 because its cheaper but you all said ibanez are good for all prices. And this seems very good for metal n shit.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried it, but I doubt it. You can cheap out too much.

Then define "good"? I need sound coming from it. same quality i would when i listen with my headphones that costs 20 bucks some music on my computer. Will it be up to that quality? because that's what will be enough for me
Quote by matiss.gutans
you all said ibanez are good for all prices.

I never said that

you want to avoid the cheaper ibanezes with locking tremolos

Quote by matiss.gutans
Then define "good"? I need sound coming from it. same quality i would when i listen with my headphones that costs 20 bucks some music on my computer. Will it be up to that quality? because that's what will be enough for me

well i don't have your headphones, so I dunno for sure But i imagine probably, yeah.

if you can get up to the roland microcube/vox mini3 they sound very nice, and are very versatile. but if you can't, no worries.

the other thing is, if you have a half decent computer already there are things you can buy to run your guitar through your computer, which might be worth considering (even some free programs). I have no experience with them so you'd need to get someone else on here to help with that. But if you're on a really tight budget it might well be worth considering.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez GAX30 is 140 euros and fender squeir is 130 euros. Which one should i buy? i want metal and rock. What you suggets?
which squier is it?

I'm guessing the ibanez would be better for metal and rock, though, but i haven't tried that exact model.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Rcj520
If I had around 200 and wanted a led Paul, I would automatically buy an agile al-2000. It can be bought at rondomusic.com. I think they destroy any epiphone I've ever played. So if you have to save a bit more and get one of those, you won't be disappointed

This. I have both the Yamaha Pacifica and an AL2000 and while they're both fine entry level guitars the AL2000 is fine for all levels and just destroys stock Epiphones that cost 3-4x more. Imo Agile is an anomaly in the guitar gear universe.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by matiss.gutans
Ibanez GAX30 is 140 euros and fender squeir is 130 euros. Which one should i buy? i want metal and rock. What you suggets?

I have owned both. The GAX30 is ok if you have a good amp (which you don't... yet) and if you only play metal. (I play no metal so I sold it on after a few months). The biggest advantage of an Ibanez Gio is that they are built well and supposedly have similar quality control etc. to top end Ibanez guitars.

Squiers are COMPLETELY different. If you plan on playing metal, don't get one of these but I can't remember what genres you play. Some of them feel cheap and some of them are excellent but it's luck of the draw.

Please buy a Yamaha Pacifica. They are the ideal rock beginner guitar because they have both main types of pickup and they are extremely versatile. They feel nice and are built much better than other guitars in the same price range.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Two Piece band's Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TerrorpinBand

I just like to imagine that my neighbors enjoy their free, nightly concerts.
Page 1 of 2