Hi guys!

I've been contemplating trading in my Schecter Omen Extreme for a 7 string version.

How difficult is it to get adjusted to a seven string if you've never played one before? I will try one soon, but I'm pretty sure I'm not instantly gonna get used to it.

And are there any downsides of this switch?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
It took me about two weeks to adjust myself to 7. But I switched from 4 to 5 string bass before so it wasn't that hard for me.
It's not much different from playing a six-string. You just have to get used to the idea that the E is not the lowest string anymore, especially when playing six-string songs.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
One thing I kept in mind all this time is that I really shouldn't look as it as a six-string with an extra string but rather a purely new instrument. Because then I'll feel more comfortable and be able to use the new range more effectively.

Is that the wrong way to look at it? I ask this because I feel that in the process of learning to use it properly, I might botch up the sound of music written for six-strings.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by shawnkenneth
One thing I kept in mind all this time is that I really shouldn't look as it as a six-string with an extra string but rather a purely new instrument. Because then I'll feel more comfortable and be able to use the new range more effectively.

Is that the wrong way to look at it? I ask this because I feel that in the process of learning to use it properly, I might botch up the sound of music written for six-strings.

It's really not different enough that I think looking at it like a whole new instrument is going to be particularly useful; not like with an 8 string where the low F# does need to be approached differently. It really is more of being aware of the extra options you now have available to you.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I wouldnt trade in your only 6 (dont know if you have others or not) for a 7 string.
Id make sure id have a 6 and a 7 string guitar.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
I wouldnt trade in your only 6 (dont know if you have others or not) for a 7 string.
Id make sure id have a 6 and a 7 string guitar.

Totally agree. It isn't the only one I have though.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by shawnkenneth
Totally agree. It isn't the only one I have though.

Ahhh cool cool. Sounded to me like you just had the one.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Just go for it and view it as a new instrument. It took me a total of 2 days to get used to my 7, and I haven't looked back since!

7s (And 8s, 9s, 10s, etc...) are beauties in their own way when compared to normal 6s. The amount of new content you can easily play is just amazing.
Took me about a week to get adjusted. The harder part is going back to 6 afterward My only tip is have a lot of 7 string songs lined up to learn once you get it, you'll learn how to use the lower register and will be able to get accustomed to it.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The recommendation I would have...practice songs by bands that use 7-strings. Dream Theater, Korn, etc. Just pick a band in a genre you enjoy that you know uses 7-strings. Why? Because that will get you used to using that lower register and open your fingers and mind to the new options you now have.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The recommendation I would have...practice songs by bands that use 7-strings. Dream Theater, Korn, etc. Just pick a band in a genre you enjoy that you know uses 7-strings. Why? Because that will get you used to using that lower register and open your fingers and mind to the new options you now have.

Actually, the reason that I even considered the 7 is because most of the music I listen to these days is written for 7 strings.

When I wanted to start jamming to them, what I did was mimic a 7 string tuning on the 6 string using BGDAEB. Terrible but functional.

*Some will argue that you could easily play the same stuff on EBGDAE. I'm aware of that. Most of the songs lose their effect because of the high pitch though.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Last edited by shawnkenneth at Jun 25, 2014,