Page 1 of 2
Oh hai. I'm gonna go out there and buttsecks the world. LOL!

Not really.

It's about damn time I move out of my parents' house, I need help/tips/stuff.
Here are my stats:

Monies: Around 160€ (money saved if I need to go back)

Destination: Lisbon, maybe.

Current plan: Rent a place with other people, preferably students. Busk. Try to get a part-time job.

If you're a negative nancy I won't give a toss about your negative-nancyness, unless it's well-founded. Then I'll take notes.
Someone tell me how much 160 fake dollars is in american money.

Are you going with a house, apartment? Try to room with people you know or you might end up hating your life.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jun 24, 2014,
I do house moves.

Many people are surprised that all of their worldly possessions will fit into one van.

Other people are idiots and are shocked at how much stuff they have.

"Oh there's stuff in the loft as well. Oh we have garden ornaments, who knew!?"
Save up for a car and live in there.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
That's around 217 dollars.

Apartment.

EDIT: @Joshua Garcia
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Jun 24, 2014,
you're not going nowhere with that much mate. most places require you to put down one month's rent as a deposit and in a city like Lisbon that's gonna be maybe twice as much. And then after that you still need more money to live on until you get yourself sorted

Sit tight mate, get a job and save
Wait, is that all you have saved? I dunno how it is over there, but here that's not even enough money to put down for a deposit. If 200 is what you plan on spending a month on rent/utilities, highball a little bit more. You need to take into account for food/transportation/bills/leisure activities.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by guitarxo
Yeah you def need to save more money

I was thinking I'd pay a month's rent (people told me I could find a place for ~150&euro, then busk and try finding a part-time (or full-time, but I think that would be difficult) job.

In the end I can always go back, defeated by life, but I think it would be a great experience if nothing else.
Yeah you're definitely not going anywhere with that kind of money. That's enough for maybe a month of groceries.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
I was thinking I'd pay a month's rent (people told me I could find a place for ~150&euro, then busk and try finding a part-time (or full-time, but I think that would be difficult) job.

In the end I can always go back, defeated by life, but I think it would be a great experience if nothing else.

Yeah you might be able to find a place for that much, but would you be happy living there?

Busking is not easy nor is it a reliable source of money for most people

Unless you have really solid and/or specialized experience, don't count on finding a job soon unless you don't mind settling for something you wouldn't want to do otherwise (and even then, you won't necessarily get it because cities have loads of people going after the same job as you)

If you want a great experience go there on vacation for a couple days. Definitely think about moving out if it's something you want to do, but i don't think you're anywhere near ready for it. At least find out if you can get a stable job before you go there AND SAVE A LOT MORE MONEY
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by Minicaxotinho

Translated:

I thought I'd pay a months rent, and then not realise that even if I pulled off the miraculous trick of getting a paying job in that time, I fail to understand that I'll likely have to work a month in hand, so job or no I wont be able to pay the second months rent.

So you pay 150 euros and then you're left with 10 euros to survive. I think you really need to sit down and plan this through pal.

You wont be defeated by life, you're already being defeated by yourself due to your lack of preparation.

Sit tight, save what you can, and look for work now. If you're already earning, it'll be much easier. Also consider that most place will require you to pay a security deposit and your first months rent, so no way is 160 Euros going to cut it anywhere.

Sorry to sound so hard and down about it, it's fantastic that you're looking to stride out on your own, but you've got to be realistic "I'll head out with pocket change and busk or something lol" just isn't a realistic plan.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Last edited by metacarpi at Jun 24, 2014,
Additionally, busking is about the same as not having a plan. First things first, you need too get a job. THEN you can try risking what you have.

Edit: ^ or ya'll can just ninja me and make my post irrelevant afterwards. That's cool too. :/
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Yeah you're definitely not going anywhere with that kind of money. That's enough for maybe a month of groceries.

I think I could manage a month of McDonalds :S

Quote by angusfan16
food/transportation/bills/leisure activities.

Oh yeah...
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Additionally, busking is about the same as not having a plan. First things first, you need too get a job. THEN you can try risking what you have.

Edit: ^ or ya'll can just ninja me and make my post irrelevant afterwards. That's cool too. :/

The more people who say it the better
cat
@metacarpi Really sound advice/opinion, I know I didn't plan this through but I'm starting to hate living here, and I'm asking you guys for help, which you are giving, so... yay.
EDIT: Great, glad you're not taking offence!

Here's a rough list of thing's you'll probably need to pay for:

Rent
Utilities (water, gas, electric)
Phone Bill?
Internet?
Travel
Groceries - not just food, washing up powder, laundry, grooming products etc
Council Tax (might be a UK only thing, but maybe you have a similar equivalent)
House/contents insurance?
Social activites

It costs way more than you initially realise. That's like a royal "you" not you specifically!

Also, living off of McDonalds or whatever gets stupid expensive really quickly, and you'll also feel like shit for it. Preparing your own meals is not only cheaper if you shop sensibly, but also much better for you.

It's also worth considering that if you've never lived away from your parents before, your control over your money is probably pretty poor - since if you run out, there's the safety net of living with mum and dad.

Here's what I'd recommend:

1 - get a job. Not in a condescending "Get a job, you lazy bum!" way, but more in a "if you get a job, you can start to develop a solid plan" kind of way.

2 - get an idea of what your bills are going to be from your parents, people who you know live on thier own etc. Use this to make a spreadsheet showing your monthly income and outgoings. Remember that in order to actually live, your income needs to have a good edge on your outgoings, otherwise you're going to work, pay bills, and then not be able to do anything.

3 - Stick to this for a few months living at home. Instead of paying actual bills, put the equivalent in savings so you're used to making do with what you have. This will help prepare you for living alone.

Hopefully that'll help get you on your way!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Your profile says your not even 21 yet, so don't worry about moving out unless you've got the right funds and plan. I moved out at 17 and had a very difficult time for a couple of years because i didn't make enough money, nor did really think about what i was doing going into living on my own.

Get a part time job now, get two if you feel like you can do it, and save up your money. In exactly one years time you'll be a lot better off then you are right now.
Sail upon the open skies
You need money for (firstly) your deposit and first months' rent. In any capital city you're not going to find somewhere for €160 a month, I live in a small town in Ireland and wouldn't expect to pay less than €300 a month for rent only. You'll need money for electricity, heating, etc., and a few more months' rent.

Most landlords won't accept you in if you don't have a full time job, basically if they've no guarantee you're going to be able to pay rent for all your lease.

Basically: job first, move out later.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by Child In Time
You need money for (firstly) your deposit and first months' rent. In any capital city you're not going to find somewhere for €160 a month, I live in a small town in Ireland and wouldn't expect to pay less than €300 a month for rent only. You'll need money for electricity, heating, etc., and a few more months' rent.

Most landlords won't accept you in if you don't have a full time job, basically if they've no guarantee you're going to be able to pay rent for all your lease.

Basically: job first, move out later.

Agreed, rent only where I live on a 1 bedroom flat is about £350 pcm, not including bills etc.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Rent/Utilities: ~160€

Transportation: I don't know how much a bus pass costs, I didn't think about this one :/

Food: 60€ / 90€ (I think I could manage at least 1€ a day busking, right? So I wouldn't starve, right? :/ )

Other stuff (including TP): ~15€

Am I doing this right? :/

EDIT: I guess I'm not doing it right :P

The thing is, I have friends in uni there and they told me I could find stuff starting at 150€ (I may have to see it for myself though...)
Go busking today and see how it pans out. If you can reliably generate 50Eu per day you can make it. If you can only make 20Eu you will find yourself on a new weight loss plan called hunger and defeat.

A better idea: Figure out where you want to be 5 years from now. Define a realistic plan to get there, execute the plan. Most plans start with getting a job, any job, and being amazing at it so you either get promoted from within or noticed by other employers and hired away.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's increasingly tough to move out of home these days. I'm 27 and lived on my own for a few years, moved back home 2 years ago (job came up that was close to home), but will move out soon when I can. I've got a full time job and would still find it very tough to live comfortably out of home, but just be patient!

Quote by Minicaxotinho

Transportation: I don't know how much a bus pass costs, I didn't think about this one :/

Food: 60€ / 90€ (I think I could manage at least 1€ a day busking, right? So I wouldn't starve, right? :/ )

A euro a day for food is nowhere near enough. You should probably budget about 190 euroes a month. That's £150 in the UK, and that should also cover some beer etc for nights in with mates etc, assuming you prepare your own meals etc. Buying food for each meal (like buying breakfast, lunch, and dinner all seperately) gets really expensive, really quickly. Consider a breakfast (full english) in my works canteen is £3, a "meal deal" (sandwich, crisps, drink) is £4, and lets say a McDonalds (because you mentioned that earlier) for dinner at around £4.50/£5, and you're spending nearly 15 euros a day on 3 meals.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Child In Time
It's increasingly tough to move out of home these days. I'm 27 and lived on my own for a few years, moved back home 2 years ago (job came up that was close to home), but will move out soon when I can. I've got a full time job and would still find it very tough to live comfortably out of home, but just be patient!

This.

I'm fortunate in that I live with my partner, so combined we live very comforatbly. We're not well off, but we cover all our bills, and we can enjoy life a little here and there.

I don't really think I could do it solo. I could, but I wouldn't enjoy it. And if that's the case, then what's the point?
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by Minicaxotinho

Electricity and heating- I would assume €30-€40 monthly
Food: yes you could eat on €1 a day but you'd turn to shit, and be hungry. I'd again say €30-€40 a month.
Communication? Whether that's a mobile phone or a landline, and possibly an Internet connection?

Keep in mind you might not find a job close enough to walk.

Also keep in mind clothes, etc. You'll have to buy things for your house as well, bedding, k-i-t-c-h-e-n-ware, bathroom things, cleaning supplies, etc.

Edit: haha why was ******* ware starred out?!

Last edited by Child In Time at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by Child In Time

Edit: haha why was ******* ware starred out?!

Shit load of spam bots shilling kitchens lately!
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Definitely make a budget in excel or something. I've got one going and it's full of empty spaces and missing figures but it sure as hell gives me a good idea of what I'm spending every month.
As far as I can tell, I average about $1750/month and that doesn't even include alcohol and cash transactions.
-Your bills will vary depending on where you live, what you live in, and how many people live with you. 3-4 people taking a shower everyday is going to cost more than just one person showering a day, living downtown vs living in a suburb, 1000 square feet vs 1500 square ft, etc.

-You also have to think about winter. Your gas/electric bill is going to go up due to it being cold as fuck possibly.

-Then you add on internet and/or cable which, again i dunno how much or what the plans are where you live, could be an extra $100 easily. You could just decide not to have either, but you said you're a student so how will you get your work done?

-Your food is going to run you up at least $80 - 100. Even if you eat cheap ass mcdonalds everyday that's still going to cost you around $50 - 60 a month, and that's just eating once a day. Not to mention you'll feel like shit constantly.

-You're going to need money for house expenses. Toilet paper, cleaning supplies, plates, cups, towels, etc. This wont cost you too much, but it's extra dough you have to throw into the pile now.

-If something gets damaged in the home, you have to pay to fix it. If you decide to have pets and they tear up carpet or piss on the floor, you have to pay for new carpeting. And trust me, that shit is not cheap and most companies wont let you do sectional carpet removing.

-Lastly, you're going to want extra money to go out and do things, or at least have things. Human beings are social creatures, and you're going to absolutely hate your life if you can't have any social interactions.
Sail upon the open skies
I guess I'll have to delay this a bit then, or sell some stuff. (?)

Anyway, I've never heard of any of my friends having to buy kitch-en-ware or furniture, but then again who talks about having bought an AMAZING frying pan at (insert store)?
Quote by Minicaxotinho

Anyway, I've never heard of any of my friends having to buy kitch-en-ware or furniture, but then again who talks about having bought an AMAZING frying pan at (insert store)?

where do you think it comes from?
Quote by Minicaxotinho
The thing is, I have friends in uni there and they told me I could find stuff starting at 150€ (I may have to see it for myself though...)

You've to remember this could be student accommodation though!

I lived in Ibiza in the off-season, my rent (for a room in a flat) was €350, including electricity, but excluding everything else.

The lowest was in Zaragoza, which was €200 for rent a month, but excluding everything.

Quote by Minicaxotinho

Not a good idea - what you need is a steady, reliable income.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

You will need to generate $500/mo take home pay in order to live very simply in a small flat and eat regularly. Anything less probably means a tent in the woods. A reliable income is the first step.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 24, 2014,
De bitches is what you want.
Dont leave home it aint sweet bro.
Its not a party forever....just at first.
Save up and do it right but you wont appreciate free life until you are on your own.
And by free i mean at your mums house free not the freedom of *****s.
It's hard to keep up with these posts :S

@angusfan16

- From what I've heard from my friends living there, a cheap apartment AND gas/water/electric bills would be around 200€ tops. So let's say 250€.

-I'm not a student, I would just prefer living with students rather than dodgy-looking middle aged people. So internet/cable is not a priority. If my room-mates wanted that and I had to also pay for it, that would be about 5/10€ divided by 3/4 people. Let's make it 10€.

-McDonalds has a 1€ burger, if I really needed I could tap that. Buying proper food would cost about 5€ a day, but I think I could manage with 3€. 100€.

-House expenses: Lots of stuff, but ~20€ for the whole month. 20€.

-No pets, no carpets, the only problem that you pointed out would be if something broke. I don't know how much that'd cost. But a prayer is free, right? :/

-Leisurely activities: I don't think I'd be doing those, but for transportation I'd spend maybe 20€.

Total : 400€, but I think I could cut some of that.

And let's not forget, I'd be busking so that would maybe cover some of those expenses.
Quote by Minicaxotinho
It's hard to keep up with these posts :S

@angusfan16

- From what I've heard from my friends living there, a cheap apartment AND gas/water/electric bills would be around 200€ tops. So let's say 250€.

-I'm not a student, I would just prefer living with students rather than dodgy-looking middle aged people. So internet/cable is not a priority. If my room-mates wanted that and I had to also pay for it, that would be about 5/10€ divided by 3/4 people. Let's make it 10€.

-McDonalds has a 1€ burger, if I really needed I could tap that. Buying proper food would cost about 5€ a day, but I think I could manage with 3€. 100€.

-House expenses: Lots of stuff, but ~20€ for the whole month. 20€.

-No pets, no carpets, the only problem that you pointed out would be if something broke. I don't know how much that'd cost. But a prayer is free, right? :/

-Leisurely activities: I don't think I'd be doing those, but for transportation I'd spend maybe 20€.

Total : 400€, but I think I could cut some of that.

And let's not forget, I'd be busking so that would maybe cover some of those expenses.

Better, but I really don't think that you could dut any of that. Frankly I think you're still underestimating based on the past 8 years I've spent living away from home, but obviously I don't know what stuff costs over in your country!

EDIT:

If I were you, I'd also ignore the busking money - it's far too variable to count on in any way at all, therefore I'd suggest treating busking money as a happy little extra that you can treat yourself with. Plan to cover all your expenses without it.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Listen, you're doing this hastily and on a whim. Move out when it's a necessity. When a good paying job comes up 50km away, not now.

I'll save a bit more then, and also try to get more info from people living there.

Thanks so far guys (but please keep posting, I want to hear as many opinions/tips/stories as possible)
Page 1 of 2