This is my first taste in the rack world. At first I had some problems, which was expected considering this is really old piece of gear. Clean and crunch channel were working okay but Ultra channel was really quiet, distortion fluctuating and palm mutes farted out hard. I thought maybe one of the tubes was dying. So I opened the amp and saw some really odd tubes, things I have never heard of. More on that later.

So I salvaged the tubes I know are okay from my Valveking and Valvestate and proceeded to try again. No luck. After diagnosing the amp for quite a while it turns out there was something odd going on the the FX Loops. I bridged them all with patch cables and suddenly everything worked all right. Or maybe it was just coincidence and the problem fixed itself, because after I removed the patch cables it kept working fine. Wiieeerd... Well, this is an old preamp and it propably required some servicing. Once I get some money I will propably take it to a tech for a checkup but for now its working fine. Though I am open for ideas what could have caused this.

I am still in progress of getting used to the amp but now all I can say that this is that this thing, in Ultra channel with gain pot pulled out, is really, REALLY tight. I see no reason to use tubescreamer in this mode. It should work very well for really downtuned stuff though I am still in progress of experimenting which one sounds better, gain pot pulled out or pushed in plus tubescreamer.

Couple of pictures from the amp before going to tubes.

Now the tubes. Every single tube that this amp came with were different. Only one of them is a familiar Marshall ECC83 but rest are unknown to me. Since these tubes are probably working okay after all I am wondering if they are anything good?

First is Ei 12AX7 from Yugoslavia (I think?).

Second one has no markings at all but it looks very similar to the Ei so its possible this is a same one and markings were just worn out.

Now the oddest one. An 12AX7 with an odd yellow sleeve with printed label Tonehunter - Custom Made Tones and some hand written text reading Blow and 3,8 mA. I did google it and it led me to some amp manufacturer and modder. Nothing on the tubes itself.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 24, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
I bridged them all with patch cables and suddenly everything worked all right. Or maybe it was just coincidence and the problem fixed itself, because after I removed the patch cables it kept working fine

Quote by MaaZeus
Though I am open for ideas what could have caused this.
IMO, one of the female jacks you put male jacks in was rusty or something similar.

Putting a lead in it "unjammed" it and now it will work fine.
Though it may still have some problems so I'd test all of the jacks since you're at it.

The first tube is from EI Niš anyway, a serbian company that was among the biggest 10 manufacturers of stuff during the yugoslavian years.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Interesting stuff.

Would you say the Ultra channel is good for metalcore? And how's the clean channel?

HNAD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Interesting stuff.

Would you say the Ultra channel is good for metalcore? And how's the clean channel?

HNAD!

Well, I am the last person to ask about metalcore because I am more old school extreme metal guy and hate everything "-core".

Buuuut I am at the moment practicing some Nile with my 7 string, Drop A tuning and confirm that this thing is tight and detailed. Bass dropped just a notch and middle button pulled out (imho this thing is too middy with it pushed in, but it could be just a shellshock to my ears at first) and everything sounds crystal clear. Well, as far as distortion can be called clear.

However the distortion can turn to fizz easily. With gain knob pushed in and instead using a tubescreamer to boost it gives less fizzy results, so I think this is the better way to do things. The EQ on distortion channels is active however and the range is HUGE. I am still experimenting, with and without tubescreamer.

Cleans sound good to me, better than solid state cleans of my Randall and Valvestate. Though the mids knob is a bit wierd, I think. I'm not much of a clean guy though. As long as the amp has something that resembles cleans and its not super clean sterile solid state stuff I am good.

IMO, one of the female jacks you put male jacks in was rusty or something similar.

Putting a lead in it "unjammed" it and now it will work fine. Though it may still have some problems so I'd test all of the jacks since you're at it.

The first tube is from EI Niš anyway, a serbian company that was among the biggest 10 manufacturers of stuff during the yugoslavian years.

That sounds plausible. Though it seems there is still something rusty. It has trouble switching to clean channel now and then.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Oh, and now that I think of it...

Does it djent?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
With gain knob maxed, pulled and boosted with a tubescreamer, yes.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Ippon
Congrats! I liked my friend's Peavey Rock Master way more than the ENGL E530 I had briefly.

Funny thing you would mention it. Before getting the Rockmaster I was about to buy an E530. Engl Blackmore (or Savage) is the "dream amp" of mine and apparently E530 is quite close for much cheaper. Unfortunately I was late but then I spotted this one for 100€ cheaper. Searching high and low for comparisons between these two yielded confusing results, some favored Engl and others Peavey. But I bit the bullet and so far I am happy about this purchase. It does exactly the sound I need.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
With gain knob maxed, pulled and boosted with a tubescreamer, yes.
Ow come on, djent doesn't need that much gain, it's about the tightness and the feel and the low tunings and da chugz.

How much did you got this for again?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Im not sure. If I have understood correctly the V3 is for the active EQ and V4 for the FX loops. Or other way around. For producing distortion only V1 and V2 are used, two tubes just like in Engl.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Spambot_2
Ow come on, djent doesn't need that much gain, it's about the tightness and the feel and the low tunings and da chugz.

How much did you got this for again?

200€. Not a bad price considering how Peaveys are generally priced here, I think.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MaaZeus

200€. Not a bad price considering how Peaveys are generally priced here, I think.

Dang!

Somebody in some other forum (MLP?) snagged one for $50 ... probably an exception to the steal me now pricing. It has 4 12AX7s/ECC83s, yea? I know the ENGL had 2.
Dope! Yeah the jacks were probably just dirty, I'd hit a patch cord with contact cleaner and run it in and out a few times, should clear it up.

HNRPAD!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Ippon
Dang!

Somebody in some other forum (MLP?) snagged one for $50 ... probably an exception to the steal me now pricing. It has 4 12AX7s/ECC83s, yea? I know the ENGL had 2.

For reference 6505 heads cost about 850€, used... for 50€ i would have picked one up even if i woud not have needed it.

Yes it has 4. V1 works for input and 1st gain stage and v2 for two br00tz stages. V3 and v4 control the loop and active eq duties. Again if my information is correct.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by dementiacaptain
Dope! Yeah the jacks were probably just dirty, I'd hit a patch cord with contact cleaner and run it in and out a few times, should clear it up.

HNRPAD!

Thanks for the tip. Will try it tomorrow.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
How is everyone getting Rockmasters so cheap?! I don't think I've ever seen one under $250.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X