I'm sure this question may have been asked before but

For music that is almost always in a downtuned tuning on a guitar, wouldn't it make more sense to buy a baritone?

I do know some advantages and disadvantages but I'd love to hear you guys' opinions.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
It depends on what you are looking for. With baritone you can use thinner strings, which in combination with longer scale results in brighter, clearer sound. But if you play stoner or doom metal a Les Paul or SG with huge-ass strings and the big, muddy and fat tone it produces may be more desireable.

Objectively baritone is always better for low tunings (for the same reasons why bass guitars are very long scale) but music and sound is rarely objective.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
"Baritone" suggests two things: a longer scale (usually in the 27" - 28" range) and Baritone tuning.

A lot of downtuned guitars use longer scales (often in the 27" - 28" range) and a tuning that is between standard and baritone.

In other words, most of the difference is in whatever you call it.
for doom definitely not a baritone, it won't have the same "doom feel". But then again there are really no rules, I've been thinking of using a seven string for doom metal actually for some time.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Quote by Tulkas

Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
^
I think that would be quite effective, if you do it right, entropicxdisson.

A lot of the "old school Doom" bands (or bands in that style) actually don't tune that low. Some use D standard or C standard. But nothing too low, like Drop B or Drop A. A lot of Death/Doom bands tune a bit lower, and they tend to use guitars with a longer scale length. Same with certain Drone bands (*cough* Sunn O))) *cough*). So, really...it all depends on what sonic quality you want within Doom.
it depends how far youre tuning down i guess
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
^
I think that would be quite effective, if you do it right, entropicxdisson.

A lot of the "old school Doom" bands (or bands in that style) actually don't tune that low. Some use D standard or C standard. But nothing too low, like Drop B or Drop A. A lot of Death/Doom bands tune a bit lower, and they tend to use guitars with a longer scale length. Same with certain Drone bands (*cough* Sunn O))) *cough*). So, really...it all depends on what sonic quality you want within Doom.

hey not calling you at anything but doesnt sunn o))) use les pauls bud?
banned