I have a Vox AC15C1 that I think is great for clean and classic rock distorted sounds, but it doesn't do the high gain metal distorted sounds.

Is it possible to get good results with a distortion pedal in front of the AC15 or is just waisted money that I should spend on a blackstar ht5 metal or a orange dark terror instead?
you can use a pedal if you want, deff cheaper than a new amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think it'd sound killer with a Rat or a tubescreamer type pedal. My amp is very low gain and i can get a pretty decent metal tone with a ts when using humbuckers. It can get really gainy and "chuggy" with a ts stacked with an sd1 and/or fuzz. But because of the chimey-ness, I think a Rat would be ideal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ yeah a lot of people say rats sound good with voxes. if you already have the amp, as robbgnarly says, it's a lot cheaper and handier to try a pedal first.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?