Budget: $150, US, new or used.
It's going into an Epi ES339 Ultra, mostly played through a Randall RM 20 (greenback 112)
I think I've decided on the SD Phat Cat for the neck.

I'm not too familiar with humbuckers so I figured I'd ask about 'em. Right now it has Epi Probuckers which are the generic epi version of Burstbuckers. While the stock pups are disappointing, I think they're on the right track to my preference so I suspect the Gibson Burstbuckers may be what I'm after. I like the classy, crunchy, crispness I get paired with the greenback, but I'd like a lil more punch and clarity. I don't think I need anything super hot, but I like chugging and shredding when the mood strikes me and this guitar's bridge pup is going to be used for my "heavy" tone.

I'd like to try something other than Seymour Duncan. Don't get me wrong, I have a few different sd pups in a few different guitars and I like 'em all. I'd just like to branch out a lil and try something other than SD and GFS. Which are the only pup brands I've owned.

All humbucker opinions, suggestions, experience are welcome...and cats! (Dogs too, why's it always gotta be cats?)
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Check out the Lace Alumitones and Alumitone Deathbuckers. Alumitones are about the cleanest passive pickups I've ever heard or used. Bonus: they're lightweight.

The Deathbucker uses the same technology, but is voiced more for metal. It can still clean up very well, but it has more bite.m here's a dude comparing them to EMGs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmr2zns-SW8&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOE9JyTFk5E&sns=em
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 24, 2014,
^ Not sure what amp that dude is playing through but I'm a lil concerned with sounding too bright. I fully plan on adding more and more modules for my RM gradually, but right now with the Blackface module, I'm at the peak of my preference for brightness. Any brighter and I think it'll go brittle or harsh. The alumitones sound pretty good though, I'll keep 'em in mind.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
The Alumitones can be bright. I have a set of SC-sized ones in a maple bodied hollowbody, and they're clear but about as twangy as it gets in that thing.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 25, 2014,
Perhaps something else...

Tesla pickups have some nifty ones. The VR-Extreme goes from classic rock to 80s metal pretty nicely. The OPUS will be more classically voiced.

The RailHammer HyperVintage is another classic sounding HB, and their Chisel gets into more aggressive tones.

Pete Biltoft- owner/operator of Vintage Vibe- does custom winds for right around your budget. I have a set of his singlecoils in a Tele, and they're magnificent. Don't know if he gets into the heavier tones, though.

The only really punchy and crispy humbucker I can think of is the lollar imperial, so have a look into that.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
How bout a 1973 Dimarzio Super Distortion? Think that'd be in the ballpark? Any experience? There's one locally for $140.

Btw, that's a very interesting guitar you got there Dannyalcatraz. I can't decide if its beautiful or ugly, and i like that about it. I'd sport it
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 25, 2014,
With a bag on my head, its gorgeous!

Aww but it's so unique looking, everything about it. It almost looks like a decadent guitar...made out of a large potato. I've never seen a bridge like that. (Or the entire guitar for that matter.) Does there happen to be a YouTube video of that guitar, I'd love to see/hear it in action
Well, AFAIK, nobody's done a video with this version of the guitar...plus, only mine has Alumitones.

But this guy has a big-bodied acoustic-electric JKG cousin. Mine does not project as well, nor does it have quite the richness of tone as his...but it gets a better acoustic sound than most hollowbody electrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLJ3-NJJ2As&sns=em