Ok so I havent been on here in a while but what community would I turn to to ask such odd questions?

I buy low end guitars sometimes just as projects to mess around with and try odd things. So no comments about brands here ok

I picked up a First Act Strat for dirt cheap and had a few plans for hardware mods I wanted to do to it. As well as reshaping the headstock and refinishing the neck. It actually has a very tight neck to body fit and the fretboard has a wonderful grain pattern to it plus its strait as an arrow so I figured it was a nice starting point. It has tobacco sunburst finish which is in great shape other than a couple small dings. This leads to my question. Does anyone know what finish First Act uses on their guitars? Im assuming its an acrylic but would like any info that can be thrown my way. Reason being, the finish is thin and I would like to build it up a bit to add a bit more durability to it. Now if its acrylic what would be best to use for the job?

I have most of my hardware ready so this is part of whats holding me back from finishing it. I could have it together already but I like to do it right the first time and not have to tear into things again.

If anyone can help me out here that would be great. Ill be sure to post some before and after pics when its done.
Last edited by Brassington2 at Jun 24, 2014,
It might be a polyester finish, seems to be popular on alot of the lower end guitars. It's a friken bullet proof finish, but they put it on real thick and some say it sucks alot of tone from the guitar.

But polyester or polyurethane finish is most likely what it is. Never heard of acrylic finish on low end guitars.
I dont think its polyester... very thin finish which is why I wanted to build it up. I could take my fingernail and dig into it if I tried.

I guess what Im really wondering is if anyone knows of a finish that wouldnt have any issue adhering. Its obviously not an oil based finish so I would think there should be something out there but my experience in such things is lacking
Quote by Brassington2
I dont think its polyester... very thin finish which is why I wanted to build it up. I could take my fingernail and dig into it if I tried.

I guess what Im really wondering is if anyone knows of a finish that wouldnt have any issue adhering. Its obviously not an oil based finish so I would think there should be something out there but my experience in such things is lacking

I bet it is still some kind of catalysed poly though. Any other factory finish would be too expensive in terms of amount of labour, curing time (involves storing part-finished instruments) and the like.

Try a solvent test. If it is only attacked slowly or not at all by paint stripper it will be catalysed poly.
Last edited by Tony Done at Jun 24, 2014,