Page 1 of 2
In middle school my friends and I called anything even slightly unpleasant or undesirable "gay." We're getting a quiz today? That's gay. Etc. I didn't actively hate gay people but I was ingrained with the mindset that being gay was not a good thing, and therefore okay as an insult. It sounds funny but what changed my perception was watching Will & Grace. It taught me that being gay's not a bad trait, it's neutral.

But I still call things gay sometimes.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i still call things gay but now its only if they are gay
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I used to do the same thing but I stopped. Not that I thought being gay was wrong. But it's just how everybody talked.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I used to think that percussion was really boring but then Art Blakey and Billy Cobham opened my eyes. Drum solos still suck though.
I used gay and had a pretty fedora-like view of women. like the 'whoa is me im so nice but they only want assholes' thing. I used to look down only people who spoke in regional dialects or were uneducated without really knowing anything else about them
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I used gay and had a pretty fedora-like view of women. like the 'whoa is me im so nice but they only want assholes' thing.

It's because you're short, if anything.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's because you're short, if anything.

Probably
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
i used to think the friendzone was a real thing and then i realized that people who believed in it are generally terrible and i don't even want to be vaguely terrible

initially i was opposed to calling things "gay" when the trend started but it wasn't because i felt that it was perpetuating homophobia, it was because i didn't want to say the word. kinda like how i wouldn't even use the word "crap" conversationally until like fifth grade despite everyone else starting on it a few years prior
OP, I wouldn't call it a view or stance per se, as you and everyone around you were conditioned to associate the word 'gay' with negativity. I'd honestly say that it was an environmental predisposition at that point, stemming from the conformity evident of the group(s) you were a part of.

Don't worry, you're quite normal. It's happened to literally everybody.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
i called things gay and i called people fags when i was in middle school. then i met a gay guy that learned me. i was also a climate change denier in middle school.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I used to think that transgender people were weird freaks. Then my best friend came out to me as trans.

That'll make you realize how fucked-up what you thought is pretty damn quick.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Same thing as everyone else: I used to say 'gay' and '******' in middle school despite not harboring any homophobic feelings.

However, I remember one instance in which I once pretended to hate gays via peer pressure (I was twelve). I stopped hanging out with homophobes after that and now I'm not that much of a pushover anyway.

I also used to think that racism in America was 'mostly gone'. Whether that simply made me ignorant or a racist twat I'll leave up to you guys.

Regarding what changed my views: I realised that sometimes words can be more than 'just words'. In addition, my family's reaction to my cousin's 'coming out' and the constant homophobia in that environment made me understand how strong of an issue it is.

My views on racism just started to change as I stopped believing everything my parents told me. It isn't hard to notice it in everyday life. Specific issues made me upset and that awoke me to the broader issue.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jun 25, 2014,
Used to say ******ed a lot in middle school because I didn't really think about what it meant and everyone else said it so casually it didn't even seem like an insult. But it hurts people a lot. Lucky I stopped saying it after a year or two because it was boring, but later I realized how horrible it was
cat
Will and Grace is a pretty gay show.

I still have socially offensive views, everything is socially offensive to some group, the patriarchy runs 24/7.
Last edited by stratkat at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by CaptainCanti
I used to be a conservative christian. Then I stopped.

Same here. My mom tried to raise me catholic but failed.

Also, I used to hate gay people too. Then I turned 14.
i was extremely homophobic, racist and misogynist in pretty much every way and every other bad thing

just growing up and instead of being a sponge sucking up all the bad shit i realized what was bad and didn't want to be a part of some things

Quote by stratkat
Will and Grace is a pretty gay show.

I still have socially offensive views, everything is socially offensive to some group, the patriarchy runs 24/7.

aren't you really racist?
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Oh yeah I also used to be all "I hate religion the temple is evil don't make me go there you are stupid for going there" with my parents and I'd get so offended whenever my relatives asked me if I believed in god. It's actually really funny looking back on it because later I found out that my grandpa and uncle are atheist and no one in my family gives a shit because they still respect what other people do, which is how I started behaving after a while. Vast improvement from whiny little me (and most of it was because they'd make me go at 7am on a Saturday, not the religion itself)
cat
I think southpak worded it best. Youth etc when they call something gay or a fag, they don't refer to homosexuals but to something very unpleasant.

People think I am racist as I use stereotypes a lot, but I am not. Like when an Italian walks 20 minutes late in class I would say: typical Italian. And somehow the Chinese kids thought that was racist. When I would say: of course ... Is well prepared, he is Chinese. The Italians said I was racist. Bottom line, almost all people from a nationality do adhere to certain traits that make their culture distinguishable from othercultures. I don't treat anyone differently but I definitely love to point it out.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by Neo Evil11
I think southpak worded it best. Youth etc when they call something gay or a fag, they don't refer to homosexuals but to something very unpleasant.

yeah but is associating bad stuff with the word "gay" a good thing for homosexuals? no, its not.
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
yeah but is associating bad stuff with the word "gay" a good thing for homosexuals? no, its not.
I don't even associate gay with homosexuals.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't even associate gay with homosexuals.

Yes I know, you implied that. But what you are doing is making "gay" a bad thing.
banned
Used to think turtles were really slow until one bit me in the ass
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by deadsmileyface
Yes I know, you implied that. But what you are doing is making "gay" a bad thing.

I personally don't use it much, I am just saying if someone points out something is gay I wouldn't necessarily get offended or think omg he is talking rubbish about homosexuals. Should the guy think better about using those words ? Sure. But I would hardly think of someone is a bigot or something.

Is it offensive when I call some pink monostrosity at my friends house gay, is that offensive?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by Neo Evil11
I personally don't use it much, I am just saying if someone points out something is gay I wouldn't necessarily get offended or think omg he is talking rubbish about homosexuals. Should the guy think better about using those words ? Sure. But I would hardly think of someone is a bigot or something.

Is it offensive when I call some pink monostrosity at my friends house gay, is that offensive?
yeah i dont automagically just assume that a person is a bigot because they said it one time. i get it. but i still feel like its just a bad habit that people should just drop
banned
I catch myself calling something gay now and then, but it's more just how people I've grown up with talk than any kind of prejudice. I even have a gay friend who calls things gay, so that's kinda weird.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
hard sciences don't have correct and incorrect answers actually
I used to be pretty homophobic, till my sophomore year in high school

This chick was mad that I rejected her so she told the entire school that I came out to her and that's why i rejected her so for the first time in my life I felt discrimination on a large scale, it was a really eye opening experience
bawitaba a bang a bang diggy diggy diggy sed the boogie sed up jump the boogie
Everybody here seems to be worrying about the words they use, not the views they hold. That's all political correctness ever addresses.

I never judge anyone on things they can't change - sexuality, race, gender and so on. Anything else is fair game.
My high school was one block away from the city's gay community and another block away from an apartment complex on the other side. The complex had about 10 buildings filled to the brim with immigrants from all parts of Asia.

So homophobia and racism was never something that crossed my mind unless it was a joke and everyone made those kinds of jokes. I'm surprised most of the Muslims and Tamils were okay with having a gay community two blocks away. Of course a lot of them were homophobic. There would sometimes be reports and announcements over the school PA system about slushies being thrown at people. As for racism, people would get into fights and it would be something like a group of Muslims fighting a group of Tamils or some other south asian or middle eastern group of kids.

What topped it off what that these two girls from Alaska moved into town and one of them started dating this half black guy. They broke up later and stayed friends. The girl turned out to be a lesbian.
Have you had socially offensive views?

Yes.

and what changed them?

who says they had to be changed?
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Well, I guess the whole homophobic as a brand-new teen thing.

But by 16, I figured out that noone, straight girls or gay guys fancied me, so it wasn't anything I should bother thinking about.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Calling things gay

Telling people to get raped after i murked them up on CoD was a bit peak
Ive never had the urge to put my junk in a mans anus or vice versa. Ive also never had the urge to molest little boys. Maybe im the one whos wierd?
I have never had offensive views, only offensive odour.

But I used to joke around about gay people a lot with the people I hung out with when I was younger, but for me it never felt very serious. I later realised that many of those people were in fact quite homophobic, so I stopped joking around because I didn't want to be associated with that.

It took me quite a while to stop calling things gay, but I did it because I didn't want to offend my friend who had come out a few years back. Funny thing is that his boyfriend found it hilarious when I accidentally called something gay and he is now the one who calls everything (including me) '****ing gay'.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; man got to tell himself he understand.

Quote by NathanBForrest
Ive never had the urge to put my junk in a mans anus or vice versa. Ive also never had the urge to molest little boys. Maybe im the one whos wierd?

You're too dumb to be weird.
Using AIDS as a buzzword. It hasn't changed.

EDIT: Should clarify though, it's just for a laugh.
Quote by Neo Evil11

You might not hold homophobic views yourself, but you're not the person with the potential to be affected by using words like "gay" as generic terms for stuff that sucks. Maybe it's true that you wouldn't get offended if you were a gay person. You would probably have dealt with far worse anyway. But you're not really in a position to make judgements about whether gay people should be offended by the use of words like "gay" and such to refer to things people don't like. If something that's a pretty fundamental part of someone's identity is routinely associated - unintentionally/indirectly or otherwise - with negativity, then they have a right to be offended. Kids don't have to realise that they're making the association for it to be terrible for someone to deal with it as a universal term 24/7. Some people, I'm sure, aren't bothered by it, but many certainly are.

Basically, distrust of things that are different is an animal behaviour, and by 16 or so most humans should have grown mature enough to realise that neither homosexuality, race nor gender are reasonable grounds to treat someone differently.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Jun 25, 2014,
Page 1 of 2