I'm considering putting a P-90 of some kind into my Fender Toronado to improve its usability. The stock pickups are these sort of flat, anemic sounding humbuckers, but the rest of the guitar is great, and I want to get it sounding as good as my main instrument.

After playing several guitars with P-90s today, I determined that they all sounded very different and were nearly incomparable. But I did find I preferred the neck position for tone.

The best sounding one I tried was the neck position Seymour Duncan in a hollowbody Jim Adkins Tele. According to Fender's site, it's either a Custom Soapbar SP90-3 or a Vintage Soapbar SP90-1. But my guitar is very much the opposite of a hollow body, so it's hard to tell if that tone will carry over.

I think I'd be alright buying that pickup, but I want some recommendations before I put money into it. I'm looking for something that's mellow, punchy, and kinda twangy, that responds well to medium overdrive.

I appreciate any input.
I haven't tried these, myself, but they are pretty highly regarded. I intend to get one of their tele sized P90's.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/scart/SubCategories.asp?ProductName=For+P%2D90s&SubCatName=P%2D90+SINGLES
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't know the Toronado- does it take HBs or actual P90s?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
There are some humbucker sized P90's on that page I linked to. The Bastards are humbucker sized.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i think the adkins has an spb-3 in the bridge and an spb-1 in the neck. the 3 is a hot, more modern-sounding p90 while the 1 is a more vintage spec one. I reckon the 1 is what you want, if you want to stick to duncans (and if you can figure out how to fit them to your guitar).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah. Assuming he/she can do that, and out of what I've tried (I haven't tried that many p90s), and considering you know you liked the sp90-1, that's probably what I'd go with. I've tried the sp90-1 set in an edwards and the bridge sp90-1 was on the brighter/twangy side, I thought.

You probably want vintage output p90s for the tones you want, p90s are quite bright/twangy/single coily when they're low output (almost like beefier tele pickups to my ears) but they darken up pretty quickly and almost sound more like humbuckers as the output increases. I actually felt the bridge sp90-1 was a little low in output for my liking, but it sounds like it'd be right up your street.

EDIT: you're in the USA, aren't you? Duncans are reasonable value there, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 25, 2014,
I tend to like the more vintage style ones more than the more modern style ones (though I haven't tried all the SDs and that's probably an oversimplification).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Agreed. The SD Vintage Rails is my primary pickup. It's a noiseless single-ish, basically a single sized humbucker with some punch. Though I use it on a coil tap, so it sounds like a proper single and gets lots of hum. I have a Lil 59 in the neck and it sounds just like a regular bucker, nice and mellow.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm still deciding if I want to put my money into my backup guitar or save up to get new frets on my main guitar. Any additional opinions are still appreciated, of course.
If I had to choose between repair/maintenance on one of my better axes and buying a new guitar to back it up, I think I'd opt for the former.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by cdgraves
Agreed. The SD Vintage Rails is my primary pickup. It's a noiseless single-ish, basically a single sized humbucker with some punch. Though I use it on a coil tap, so it sounds like a proper single and gets lots of hum. I have a Lil 59 in the neck and it sounds just like a regular bucker, nice and mellow.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm still deciding if I want to put my money into my backup guitar or save up to get new frets on my main guitar. Any additional opinions are still appreciated, of course.

Yeah I have a hot rails in the neck of one guitar, and I really don't much like it in humbucker mode, but it actually splits pretty well I haven't tried the lil 59.

It's really up to you regarding which guitar you should put money into (you know that already, obviously). I suppose if you want to try to look at it logically you could figure out how badly you need the backup to sound better versus how bad the frets are on your #1. But logic doesn't normally come into most guitar purchases, in my experience anyway
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ill restate my BG Pickups suggestion. Custom made pickups for pretty much same as SD plus several different options including some humbucker sized P90s
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent

That took me a second!

The best P90, honestly, is the Gibson P90 -- the old original.

Within the last five years or so, the boutique winders have crawled out of the woodwork and "improved" the P90. Well, honestly, they haven't. They've mostly underwound them to reduce the noise levels a bit, and in doing so have mostly emasculated them. There are a few "hot" P90s that are nearly unusable. And the folks that have built "matched sets" with underpowered neck pickups and overwound bridge pickups are just silly. The best P90s (IMHO) are the same old Gibson P90 in both the bridge and neck positions.

If you MUST have a tweaked P90, My Very Best Recommendation is the Kinman Noiseless P90. It's the ONLY one that retains all the flavor of the original while simply losing the noise. Pricey and worth every penny.