Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Aerosmith.

In U2, Bono is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

Likewise, in Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

In Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder writes most of the lyrics. However, Pearl Jam's music is often composed by various, individual members of the band.

In Aerosmith, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry often collaborate with outsiders in order to pen the band's songs.

Generally speaking- Do all of the band members contribute to the songwriting process?

Is it necessary to have all of the band members get songwriting credits?

For instance- Do the rest of the members of Aerosmith mind that Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and a bunch of outsiders are writing all of the band's songs?

I mean- If you were the bass player of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the basslines? If you were the drummer of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the beats and fills?
Quote by DeirdreLLogan
Hey everyone. I'm a huge fan of U2, Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Aerosmith.

In U2, Bono is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

Likewise, in Green Day, Billie Joe Armstrong is the primary lyricist, and all musical composition is always credited to the entire band.

In Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder writes most of the lyrics. However, Pearl Jam's music is often composed by various, individual members of the band.

In Aerosmith, Steven Tyler and Joe Perry often collaborate with outsiders in order to pen the band's songs.

Generally speaking- Do all of the band members contribute to the songwriting process?

Is it necessary to have all of the band members get songwriting credits?

For instance- Do the rest of the members of Aerosmith mind that Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, and a bunch of outsiders are writing all of the band's songs?

I mean- If you were the bass player of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the basslines? If you were the drummer of a rock band, wouldn't you want to come up with all the beats and fills?

In my band we don't have a "main writer", although I've written most of the songs we're playing. When I write a song for our band I write the guitar parts, melody and lyrics. I usually have an idea of how I want the drums and bass to sound like but I don't write their parts.

Maybe the major bands work the same way... But then again, all bands write songs differently.
There should never be any weirdness or shame a band outsourcing for non band members to write music or lyrics for a song.

If you're in Greemday and your given a bass line for 'no more pills' (made up song), you're still the bassist of a kick ass punk band.

In the band I've just put together - each member is free to and encouraged to write as much lyrics and music as they wish. If the bass player comes up with 6 random lines and wants the song to be about something - that's a good start. If the drummer (who can play guitar) had a cool riff - that can go into the mix.

Bands are as unique as marriages are. Some have different systems. Some suck. Some work like magic.
Quote by flaaash
There should never be any weirdness or shame a band outsourcing for non band members to write music or lyrics for a song.

If you're in Greemday and your given a bass line for 'no more pills' (made up song), you're still the bassist of a kick ass punk band.

In the band I've just put together - each member is free to and encouraged to write as much lyrics and music as they wish. If the bass player comes up with 6 random lines and wants the song to be about something - that's a good start. If the drummer (who can play guitar) had a cool riff - that can go into the mix.

Bands are as unique as marriages are. Some have different systems. Some suck. Some work like magic.

Yeah, I agree.

All members of my band are free to write whatever they want, although our drummer don't really write that much on his own, but he gets involved when me and my bassist comes with ideas.

But I personally can not write with others. I hate it. I feel like I don't get it as I want it, so I usually perfer writing a song that's basically complete BEFORE sharing it with my bandmates.

And same thing there, everyone are different. Some people love to write songs with other, while some people don't.
I've written everything my band has published yet except most of the lyrics, and probably everything on our new album. The drummer and the singer in my band are the only ones who are writing songs besides me, but nothing that we plan to use. It kinda sucks that the bassist and other guitarist in my band has zero talent when it comes to song writing because it's always fun when u come up with song ideas together when you're rehearsing.