I've decided to lose the half stack and get a 2x12 combo.

-Mostly play modern metal, but I would like a good clean/crunch channel if possible.
-Good speakers, and preferably a closed back (this is not essential as it's not hard to close the back of an amp).
-50-100w (headroom, y'know?)
-Budget of up to $800
-Live in Boston, MA and am willing to look used.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Trade the 4x12 for a 2x12 because combos that size are heavy as ****. Current amp and cab?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Unless your hearts set on a combo Id just do what LB said and downsize your cab. Get a nice 2x12 with quality speakers and you'll only ever have to worry about heads from then on
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
If you can scrape up a little more:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-MTS-RM50-CP-all-tube-combo-amp-w-2-modules-Creme-tolex-/170512529813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b356b995

Comes with two modules of your choice. Stick a Recto and an SL+ (or a Tweed, they actually crunch up quite nicely and would sit better next to the Recto module). Later you can stick in some really tasty boutiquey modules in there.

I know it's a 1x12, but still ... pretty tasty. It has a vent in the back but it's not exactly open backed, more of a port really. I haven't tried the 50, I have the 100 (it is a closed backed 3 module 2x12). If you can find a used RM100 combo with the right modules in budget go for it. They're ****ing big and heavy though. It's easier to move around a halfstack. The 50 would probably be a good thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by losing battle
Trade the 4x12 for a 2x12 because combos that size are heavy as ****. Current amp and cab?

Current amp and cab are a 5150 block letter (which I'm not crazy about, the distortion is nice but there is no clean channel) and a Marshall 1960A.

Thoughts on the Jet City 50w 2x12?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jun 25, 2014,
Used Peavey JSX. Guitar Center has 2x12 combos under that price range. Comes close to 5150 but with a clean channel based on Classic 50 and also a crunch channel.

XXX II head is also about $350 used and its the same amp just renamed and less expensive.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by losing battle
Trade the 4x12 for a 2x12 because combos that size are heavy as ****.

+1

Quote by oneblackened

Thoughts on the Jet City 50w 2x12?

I don't think it's high gain like the heads (or 1x12 combo) are.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok so your looking for an amp with better cleans, so buy a jsx head, then trade your cab and get a 212. Or you can go with the randall module amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Mesa. World class clean and OD tone and built to last forever.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I carted a Carvin XV112E (1x12 open back) around for years. 100W, EL34s, Electrovoice EV12L speaker. Still have it. Gorgeous cleans, tons of headroom, active controls, assignable 5-band EQ, etc. When I wanted to gig, I could unplug the internal speaker and run a pair of 4x12s. Later, when I wanted to downsize that a bit, I'd run an EarCandy BuzzBomb (closed back ported 2x12).

The Carvin's a virtual ringer for an early Mesa. This one's done in oak; mine was covered in that mouse-fur carpet stuff.

If you want serious bottom end, you may want to do what I did; build one of these (I built two, actually): http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/stereocab.html
The Eminence Delta ProA's are pro audio speakers, will handle up to 400w, will go down to around 50Hz. DO build it exactly as shown (those 1165 tweeters are more perfect for this than you know). My cabinets were very slightly larger and rather than covering them in rat fur, I had them shot with LineX pickup truck bed liner. It looks like tolex, but it's brutally structural. The military uses it for explosion proofing and anti-spall protection. Pull up the Mythbusters episodes on LineX pickup truck bed liner for some eye-opening uses. I ran as much as 800W through a single cabinet. These things were brutalized for several years until being retired in favor of much lighter, louder and fuller-range replacements. There was never an issue with their potentially being damaged. Just the other way around. It was like loading a hammer in with a load of eggs.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by oneblackened
I've decided to lose the half stack and get a 2x12 combo.

-Mostly play modern metal, but I would like a good clean/crunch channel if possible.
-Good speakers, and preferably a closed back (this is not essential as it's not hard to close the back of an amp).
-50-100w (headroom, y'know?)
-Budget of up to $800
-Live in Boston, MA and am willing to look used.

You've literally just described a JSX 212 combo.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Look for a used Mesa Tremoverb 2x12
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Well, I had a different idea.

5150 III mini head, and a 2x12 cab. I've realized that if I sell a guitar I don't play and don't like (which I am doing) then I can afford about $1500.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden