Hey UG!

I picked this up the other day because I've been wanting an alternative OD pedal to my TS-9. I was particularly interested in getting one with asymmetrical clipping to have something a bit different. But enough talk, here's a pic:

First off, I should mention that I plan to use this almost exclusively as a boost. What really interested me was the pedal's "bump" switch and the 100hz knob. I wanted to try just a little more low-end in front of my amp to see what happens. Let me tell you, the 100hz knob is extremely effective. It is possible to overdo it, which means the pedal is quite versatile. You can have a super tight, yet lofi sound by cutting that knob. or add super thickness by maxing it out. In the following sound clips, I have it adjusted exactly as you see in the picture; bump switch is ON. (The bump switch enhances the bass and mid structure of the pedal, without it on, it's more of a traditional TS eq sound.) I have a TS-9, that's why I have this pedal set differently.

Here are a few sound clips comparing the MXR to my TS-9. Bear with me, I was in an extreme rush to record these clips -- my 3-month-old girl was napping (oddly enough, she loves it when I play metal), so I only had about 20 minutes before she woke up and wanted a bottle, lol.) You've heard tons and tons of clips before of various classic rock wankery with OD pedals. I'm tired of them. So here's some METAL for you : (...and the obligatory classic rock clips to show you the leads)

With the MXR as a boost
Same riffs but with TS-9 as a boost

And leads:

With MXR as boost
And same solo with TS-9 as a boost

I don't know, I can't decide which pedal I like better. On the death metal stuff, I can hear more "grind" with the MXR as well as additional thickness. I love how it sounds on that stuff, especially tuned to Drop-B like I have it in the clips. I normally play at C# Standard and it's a little harder to hear a difference on the rhythms at that higher tuning. It's got a hint of the Boss HM-2 sound to it (I have one of those as well), but it preserves the natural tightness of my 6505 unlike when I use the HM-2.

For leads, I think I still prefer the TS-9. When I hit harmonics it really "screams" with this liquid, smooth note whereas the MXR is a bit grainier and not as smooth. Either way, I will be toying with it for some time to come to get its best tone -- super happy with the purchase thus far though! Hope you enjoyed it!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Jun 25, 2014,
Sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Looks and sounds rad as frik, congrats. Didn't know tywin lannister made pedals
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Looks and sounds rad as frik, congrats. Didn't know tywin lannister made pedals

Lol! And thanks!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I have this pedal....I'll never, NEVER part ways with it...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by gregs1020
figuring out which OD you like is going to take a while.

yeah i still dunno if i prefer a ts or sd1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds great. HNPD!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have this pedal and I quite like it. But I use it almost exclusively as a standalone nowadays. As a boost, it's eh. Great for a nicer SD-1 basically, but there are very limited settings that work in a boosting application IMO.

I need to get a Green Rhino to try out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^Yeah, I forgot to mention, as a standalone overdrive it sounds much better than my Ts-9. I basically just leave it set the same as when I'm using it as a boost but leave it on for my 6505's clean channel. It's quite dynamic when used that way. My biggest complaint about tubescreamers when used as a pure overdrive effect is that they thin the tone too much. The MXR sounds much thicker and "tubelike" to me.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
As a standalone pedal, I'd take a custom badass. But as a solo boost I take a green rhino or even tube screamer in general. I did a shootout between a green rhino, CM-2, and custom badass, went with the green rhino. However, I liked the clarity of the custom badass.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.