My budget is ~150€ and I'm willing to buy used.

I need a small amp that I can take with me whenever I go over to friend's house to play. I play on my Squier Classic Vibe 60s Stratocaster and I like playing stuff by Arctic Monkeys, The Strokes, Kings of Leon, Franz Ferdinand, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, so mostly modern rock.

Also, I'm from Europe, so craiglist and US Ebay can't help me. If there's anything else that might help you recommend me an amp, fell free to ask.
Vox valvetronix or peavey vypyr vip.
Used so you can get a good big one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've checked out both of those. They're either out of my price range or not something you'd carry around easily. I want something cheap, because I'm only gonna use it for practice. No gigs or stuff, just practice.

Also, while I appreciate your help, I'm wondering if you even read my post or do you recommend these to everyone looking for a practice amp.

On another note, I could get used Microcube for 80€. Is it a good idea? (pic of the said amp below)

Last edited by Sonwaas at Jun 25, 2014,
I'd say go with the Fender Mustang 1. The V1, when it was released, was $99. The new V2 is about $129. It's around 5 kg so it shouldn't be a problem to carry around unless you're carrying around a pedal board and other random miscellaneous stuff or you're made of sand. If that's the case, then welcome to Earth.

I have one and I have to give credit for it's clean sounds. Classic Fender-y glassy cleans. The crunch tones are also fairly good. It does blues/classic rock quite well. As for distorted tones, I'm talking metal in-your-face distorted here, it won't do it as well as the Vypyr and will take some time to coax a nice fat/thick sound from it.

The reason I wouldn't get the Cube is, although it is small and portable, the tones you can get from that 5 inch speaker will be limited. The Fender I recommended has an 8 inch speaker. Though not the best it is an improvement.
Count me as a fan of the Micro Cube. For what it is... best in class.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I've also just got offered Fender Mustang 1 for 80€. So I think it boils down to either Microcube or Mustang 1.
Out of those two, Mustang 1.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
The cheapest models of entry level modelers are never worth the money. They often have limited features, and more importantly, very small 8" speakers (or even smaller). You'll quickly outgrow it, and want something better.

Definitely get something with a 12" speaker. You can afford a Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 used, for instance.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
The cheapest models of entry level modelers are never worth the money. They often have limited features, and more importantly, very small 8" speakers (or even smaller). You'll quickly outgrow it, and want something better.

Definitely get something with a 12" speaker. You can afford a Peavey Vypyr VIP-2 used, for instance.

Please read OP, I want something that's portable meaning I can grab it, and carry it in a bag/with one hand to my friend's house. Also, it's not available anywhere I live.
Quote by Grawgos
Yamaha THR.

Either not available here or out of price range (300&euro. Please read my first post and then try to give some arguments why do you think that amp is worth it.
Those Microcubes are about as portable as they come. IIRC they also have FX on them AND run on batteries if needs be(its been ages since ive used one so dont quote me on the last point).

Youre probably not gonna get killer tone out of such a small unit but they punch well above their weight. Excellent practice and portable jam amps
Quote by Sonwaas
Please read OP, I want something that's portable meaning I can grab it, and carry it in a bag/with one hand to my friend's house. Also, it's not available anywhere I live.

What makes you consider the Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 "not portable"? It's pretty compact and lightweight, it can be carried with one hand very easily.
I've lugged bigger and heavier tube amp combos around, without a problem.

If you can't find an used Peavey Vypyr/Fender Mustang/Vox Valvetronix/Roland Cube with a 12-inch speaker within your budget, you're stuck with less-than-ideal options.

Between the Roland Microcube or the Fender Mustang I, I'd go with the Mustang.
But if I were in your position, I'd save some more money so I could afford a 12" model.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112