Hey guys, i'm looking at purchasing a guitar just to be changing pickups in. Something for recording that isn't really going to get any live use, and just something that I want to chop and change humbuckers.

So it has to be something relatively cheap and I've been thinking about some of the Charvel DS guitars, the ones with passive pickups.

Looking for something with 2 humbuckers (no split/single coils just straight up 2 humbuckers with a 3 way selector). Not too bothered about shape but good playability is a must, it's going to be used on rock/metal recordings.

Budget: Under £300. Don't mind going used if the price is right.
Must have 2 humbuckers.
Preferably 24 frets.
25.5" scale length minimum (will be downtuned sometimes)

What can people recommend?
Ibanez RG321. Cheap, Mahogany body and 2 humbuckers. 24 frets, 25.5" scale.

EDIT: Found them on ebay.co.uk for 150-300 GBP.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Last edited by RBM01991 at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by RBM01991
Ibanez RG321. Cheap, Mahogany body and 2 humbuckers. 24 frets, 25.5" scale.

EDIT: Found them on ebay.co.uk for 150-300 GBP.

I actually have an Ibanez RG7321 which i've been using to change pickups etc in haha! While the 321 sounds great, I'd rather have something a bit different
I built one; Warmoth bits cheap off the internet. The operational name was "test bed."

And then I thought. Hmmm. Quick swappable pickups!

Aha, that's hilarious that second photo. I hope someone actually made that
Quote by AJScott
Aha, that's hilarious that second photo. I hope someone actually made that

Yes, they absolutely did.

Interchangeable pickups isn't particularly new -- the original Dan Armstrong guitar (and the reissue, for that matter) had a half-dozen interchangeable pickups. Ampeg picked it up for their AMG100:

Check out Mercurio guitars, too.

Most interchangeable pickup guitars (there are actually quite a few out there) do so through the back of the guitar, though:

Aye i've seen these, do you have to use their own pickups?

I have a selection of Seymour Duncan pickups lying around some DiMarzio that I'd like to be able to swap in and out.