Hey guys,

I'll be going to university in 2 months' time, and I need to see if I need to swap out any gear I have right now to make them suitable for live performances.
Current gear is as follows:
Fender Jaguar HH
Zoom G5
Line 6 Spider IV 30

These are a few of the most probable conditions of the gigs at my university:
1. The sound crew do not mic the guitar/bass amps BUT they do have a separate PA system set up for mics. (Note that my Zoom G5 is PA compatible.)
2. I'll be playing power metal for most of the time (especially music from Galneryus, Blind Guardian, etc.), although I may try a variety of genres in rock music from time to time.
3. My hands have now officially outgrown my Fender Jaguar's neck. For minor gigs, this is not an issue, but for long-term parties where I have to play for at least 1 hour in a show, this could become a minor hindrance, although I may be able to figure out a few hacks to circumvent the problem.

So my question is, does any of my gear require any modifications/replacements? If so, what would I need to do?

Thank you very much for your help!
Current Gear:
Ibanez S521 Mol (modded with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups and Grover locking tuners)
Ibanez Prestige RG652FX
Ibanez PGMM31 Mikro (modded with DiMarzio Super Distortion and Seymour Duncan 59 pickups and a Gibson 50's style wiring)

Guitar Strings in use: D'addario XL Nickel Wound 10-46

Amp: Randall RM50 (still with its stock modules - Tweed and Top Boost)

Signal Chain:
Guitar -> Shure GLXD16 Wireless -> Boss TU-3 -> Digitech Whammy 5 -> Vox V846 Wah -> Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer -> ISP Decimator II Noise Reduction Pedal -> Randall RM50 Input -> RM50 EFX Send -> Boss FV-30H Volume -> MXR Phase 95 Mini -> Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble -> Boss DD-20 Giga Delay -> RM50 EFX Return

Power Supply: Truetone OneSpot Pro CS12 Isolated Power Supply
Few issues with what you're saying here...
1) I don't understand the idea of your hands outgrowing the neck of your Jaguar... I can understand you thinking the necks too thin, too fat, etc. but it's all based on feel. There's no set size of neck for people with large hands or small hands, fat fingers or skinny fingers.
2) As for your guitar amp, the Spiders are notorious for having poor tone. I've played on a few of the smaller ones and they're passable for a practice amp, but if you're going to be gigging you'll definitely want to improve your amp. As a student headed to college, you're likely going to be strapped for cash. This would be your first concern in regards to replacements. You'll likely want to get a tube amp of some sorts. Look around on craigslist for something in your price range. You may find that a great used amp is in your price range.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by B. Heath
Few issues with what you're saying here...
1) I don't understand the idea of your hands outgrowing the neck of your Jaguar.

Jaguars have a 24" scale. That can be pretty confining compared to a 24.75" scale on an LP or a 25.5" scale on a strat/tele. You'll probably want to address the guitar and keep the rest.

Quote by B. Heath

2) As for your guitar amp, the Spiders are notorious for having poor tone. I've played on a few of the smaller ones and they're passable for a practice amp, but if you're going to be gigging you'll definitely want to improve your amp. As a student headed to college, you're likely going to be strapped for cash. This would be your first concern in regards to replacements. You'll likely want to get a tube amp of some sorts.

I think he's fine with his amp -- it's just fine for the small shared quarters he's likely to deal with at school and for carting around. I'd never recommend a tube amp for his situation; it'll be heavier and more delicate, and at the volumes he's using it at most, there'll be little/no improvement in "tone."

I'd just have the sound folks run your G5 direct into the PA and make sure you have some kind of monitor. You may have to re-do your user presets given the difference in sound thanks to the PA.

You may want to add a good set of headphones to your rig (recommendations include Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770 -- avoid bass-heavy "Beats" style headphones). You'll likely find yourself wanting to practice when roommates, etc. want to sleep. Studio quality headphones will run $99-$200 (new prices), but will last you forever and will give you a closer match to the PA type systems you'll play through.

If you get into a situation where you've set up your Zoom presets for a PA but you need to play something where an amp is necessary (you'll occasionally play with someone with a "vocals-only" PA), just beg/buy/borrow a decent powered monitor (QSC K12, Carvin PM12A, etc.) and run the Zoom into that. I've put a full-range speaker with a 15"LF, 6" mids and 1" tweeter on a speaker stand and run with that (I use Pods and/or an Axe-FX in front, rather than a Zoom). They may lack the fairy dust and unicorn farts of some of my tube amps, but you can do anything from quiet gigs to outshouting an agro drummer and a Marshall stack with a single powered speaker.
Quote by dspellman

I'd never recommend a tube amp for his situation; it'll be heavier and more delicate, and at the volumes he's using it at most, there'll be little/no improvement in "tone."

Heavier yes, the rest is bullshit.

Agreed on the G5 suggestion.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Heavier yes, the rest is bullshit.

I'm thinking that the most he's going to need that amp for will be very low volume use in a dorm room. At those levels, a tube amp is largely wasted.
Quote by dspellman
I'm thinking that the most he's going to need that amp for will be very low volume use in a dorm room. At those levels, a tube amp is largely wasted.

I'm trying very hard to not perpetuate the myth that tube amps need to be cranked to sound good.

Some do of course, but it's not because they are tube, it's because of design criteria.

There are plenty that sound fine at low volumes and also sound great when dimed.

But the OP mentioned "university gigs" which leads me to believe he could use a bit more volume than perhaps you think?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Dspellman did you actually read his post? It's for gigs.

I'd reccommend a valve combo ala marshall, jet city or bugera.

unless you're a 7 foot beast with hands the size of table tops I think your hand pain is psychological.

Definitely upgrade the amp though. Theres no reason you cant take a vocal mic and mic up your amp.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by dspellman

i disagree. i have several 'big' tube amps that preform great at bedroom levels. for example my MKIV. wether it be on a 4x12" or a 2x12", you lower the channel volume and the global master, even with a pedal to OD to boost it. sounds great. not as good as full volume.

however if you are in a confined environment i don't think you are going to do much better volume wise with a 15 watt modeling amp.

and in most cases you would probably go zoom into headphones.

and even if you go straight in, you would project through the system what would the rest of the band do? the other guitarist would only be at one point unless mic'd.

if you don't want a short scale get something different sell it and get something you like better.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
Jaguars have a 24" scale. That can be pretty confining compared to a 24.75" scale on an LP or a 25.5" scale on a strat/tele. You'll probably want to address the guitar and keep the rest.

I think he's fine with his amp -- it's just fine for the small shared quarters he's likely to deal with at school and for carting around. I'd never recommend a tube amp for his situation; it'll be heavier and more delicate, and at the volumes he's using it at most, there'll be little/no improvement in "tone."

I'd just have the sound folks run your G5 direct into the PA and make sure you have some kind of monitor. You may have to re-do your user presets given the difference in sound thanks to the PA.

You may want to add a good set of headphones to your rig (recommendations include Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770 -- avoid bass-heavy "Beats" style headphones). You'll likely find yourself wanting to practice when roommates, etc. want to sleep. Studio quality headphones will run $99-$200 (new prices), but will last you forever and will give you a closer match to the PA type systems you'll play through.

If you get into a situation where you've set up your Zoom presets for a PA but you need to play something where an amp is necessary (you'll occasionally play with someone with a "vocals-only" PA), just beg/buy/borrow a decent powered monitor (QSC K12, Carvin PM12A, etc.) and run the Zoom into that. I've put a full-range speaker with a 15"LF, 6" mids and 1" tweeter on a speaker stand and run with that (I use Pods and/or an Axe-FX in front, rather than a Zoom). They may lack the fairy dust and unicorn farts of some of my tube amps, but you can do anything from quiet gigs to outshouting an agro drummer and a Marshall stack with a single powered speaker.

This is the best advice I've had so far. Thanks for the advice. By the way, what do you mean by a 'vocals-only' PA system? Are you referring to PA systems with XLR inputs only?

Quote by trashedlostfdup
and even if you go straight in, you would project through the system what would the rest of the band do? the other guitarist would only be at one point unless mic'd.

if you don't want a short scale get something different sell it and get something you like better.

What do you mean by the statement that the other guitarist would only be at 'one point'? I don't quite understand your terminology here.

I am trying to save some money for my new guitar. I initially thought of getting something that was suited for long and skinny fingers, but unfortunately, Long and McQuade does not sell Vigier, Schecter, Suhr, Charvel, or G&L guitars. ESP/LTD and Jackson Guitars are known to have active pickups and/or floating tremolos in most of their guitars (which I do not want to use), Gibson/Epiphone guitars have extremely heavy mahogany guitar bodies that I do not like to play on while standing for an extended period of time (with the exception of Gibson SG's), and I've personally had lots of trouble dealing with tuning stability of an Ibanez RG I've had a long time ago before I had the Fender Jaguar HH.
I'm looking into something that is est. CAD$800 (excluding tax), does not have a floating tremolo bridge, uses passive pickups that work just like aftermarket passive's (preferably alnico pickups), have a minimum nut width of 43.5 mm, has a scale length that is long enough to support long and skinny fingers, and has a fretboard that does not fret out high bends.
EDIT: At the worst case scenario, I may have to switch to 7-string guitars.
Current Gear:
Ibanez S521 Mol (modded with Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups and Grover locking tuners)
Ibanez Prestige RG652FX
Ibanez PGMM31 Mikro (modded with DiMarzio Super Distortion and Seymour Duncan 59 pickups and a Gibson 50's style wiring)

Signal Chain:
Guitar -> Shure GLXD16 Wireless -> Boss TU-3 -> Digitech Whammy 5 -> Vox V846 Wah -> Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer -> ISP Decimator II Noise Reduction Pedal -> Randall RM50 Input -> RM50 EFX Send -> Boss FV-30H Volume -> MXR Phase 95 Mini -> Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble -> Boss DD-20 Giga Delay -> RM50 EFX Return

Quote by dspellman

As far as frets, that's completely understandable. TS wasn't entirely clear on that. However, TS also said he'd be using this setup for amps. With his current gear running the G5 thru the PA is his best bet, rather than using his current amp.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
I'm looking into something that is est. CAD$800 (excluding tax), does not have a floating tremolo bridge, uses passive pickups that work just like aftermarket passive's (preferably alnico pickups), have a minimum nut width of 43.5 mm, has a scale length that is long enough to support long and skinny fingers, and has a fretboard that does not fret out high bends.

Check out new/used guitars from Godin, Fernandes, and maaaaaybe Reverend.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Check out new/used guitars from Godin, Fernandes, and maaaaaybe Reverend.

Long & McQuade does not carry Fernandes or Reverend guitars. I don't know about Godin though. I may check them out once I get enough money to buy a new guitar.
Current Gear:
Ibanez Prestige RG652FX

Signal Chain:

Last edited by parhelia_0000 at Jun 25, 2014,