Hello friends,

I am trying to learn guitar solos by ear. I can play easy or short solos by ear. I am having tuff time learing long solos and one that have uneasy phrasing.

Right now I am trying to learn Comfortably Numb solos both solos. Can you guys suggest me the techniques you all use to learn solos by ear.

My techniques:
- I use VLC player and loop over section, also reduce the speed of song.
- I also tried riffstation but its costly

Can you guys point me to different tools or techiques u all have been using.

Thanks u all...!!!!!

I also wonder how different guitarist learn songs of other guitarist( I have seen guitarist playing cover of other artist.. and they play solos exact note to note of solos)
Last edited by sagarvarule at Jun 25, 2014,
i use this program http://www.seventhstring.com/

you can place markers for measures and the playback control makes it so you don't have to always find again the place you wanted to repeat

i always learn the solos by ear if i have to do a cover. most tabs are inaccurate in both the notes and fingerings
Well, i do recommend getting a proper program for it, be it amazing slow downer, anytune or riffstation. It might be pricey but i would view it as an investment instead, cause it will benefit you a lot in your playing (atleast it have to me).

Other than that there are a few things to keep in mind.

1) If you know your theory well you can work out things quicker and easier. Because then you will be able to work out which key you are in from just picking out a few notes, and then you will be able to work which notes are/are not found in that key. Theory helps on so many levels in learning by ear.

2) Singing what you play. This might be hard to start with, but after doing it for a while you can hear a phrase and more often than not find one or more notes in the phrase that you can sing. And when you have found that note the rest of the phrase opens up to you.

3) Keep at it. The more you learn by ear, the easier it becomes. It is like learning a language , you have to listen a lot. If you imitate the masters of the language everyday for long enough, you might sound like an authentic speaker of that language.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
You're on the right track. Transcribe. Transcribing hard songs. When I was first starting out my two "hardest" songs I transcribed were "Hotel California" the main solo, and the solo from "Sweet Home Alabama". They were two I wanted to learn, and all I had was a cassette player, and a pause button.

However, the important thing about these, were they were so difficult because of some very small half step nuances, that once I figured them out correctly, it made future transcriptions a piece of cake because by comparison, my ear had gotten very skilled at detecting that nuance, and it was nowhere near as difficult.

I dont recommend an easy program, for transcribing. You're not going to get that good ear unless you have some difficulty. If the transcribe makes it easy, then you might get the song easier, which is the opposite of developing a good ear for hearing things well.

I'm old school though. Back in the day the only thing that we had that made things half speed was a High end ($900.00) Marantz tape player, developed entirely for the purposes of transcribing.

I will say that in my old school opinion, there's a difference between transcribing things correctly using things that make it easier to hear, and developing a good ear for pitch using nothing but your ears and lots of trail and error to better zone in and calibrate your understanding of pitch and pitch collections. One may not be as important to you than the other.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by Sean0913
all I had was a cassette player, and a pause button.

That's a pretty craptacular cassette player. Not even a play button?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is really motivating that you took such a hardship to acquire play-by-ear skill. It has really motivated me. When I try to learn solo I get confused whether I am playing it correctly; whether my ears have picked up notes and phrasing correctly; whether i am playing it all right, am i going in right direction. I end up having slightly different versions for each solos, because both seems valid when I hear. I try to get help from lay man (my friends) they say both sound good and they cant figure out any difference as such. How to find out whether your ears are picking all correctly. When artist cover other bands solos do they play 100% accurate or they add their own stuff for things they have not picked up by ear. (PS: Right now I can get around 50-60% of music right, and for remaining part i end up adding by own notes , is it fine)
Last edited by sagarvarule at Jun 27, 2014,
^ You don't need to play the same solo if you are playing covers. Of course you can learn it note for note for the sake of it (it is good practice), but really, nobody will notice it if you add your own twist to the solo in a cover band. Our guitarists always play their own stuff in their guitar solos.

But if you are just playing in your bedroom, I would say do both. If you feel like doing something else than in the original song, do it, but it is also good being able to play it just like the original. If you never learn to play it exactly like on the record, how do you think you can be able to play your own melodies exactly like you want? The thing is - good music doesn't come from your fingers, it comes from your head.

I have never had problems with figuring out if I play the wrong or right notes. I always hear if the note I'm playing is not right - though I do sometimes have troubles with finding the right note (I know if I'm playing wrong but just can't figure out how the original artist does it). But I guess my ears are more trained than yours (I have been playing the trumpet for over 12 years and started guitar and bass later).

You could try learning to sing. I think it improves your ear and you can think in pithces a lot easier if you can produce them with your own voice.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine

I have never had problems with figuring out if I play the wrong or right notes. I always hear if the note I'm playing is not right - though I do sometimes have troubles with finding the right note (I know if I'm playing wrong but just can't figure out how the original artist does it).

same here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a lot guys....your replies have cleared my mind of doubts. Thank u all, once again!!!!