Hey,

I'm just starting to learn about overdrive and distortion and what not but i still have a bunch of questions which i have made an effort to find an answer to.

Right now i have a Blackstar HT Club 40 and i love it dearly. My only issue is when it comes to the overdrive section of the amp. I find it to get way too saturated for most of the music i play even when i turn the gain down. I think it'd sound great for any metal or heavy rock when i want to go there but I'm looking for a sort of boosted, fat, tube like sound that doesn't just come out really saturated and "gainy". I want a thick solo sound that still allows me to get out harmonics while also sounding good in a mix. I also want it to be true bypass or at least not killing my tone.

I've been looking at things like the Fulldrive 2, where it has a boost option in the pedal.

The Ibanez tube screamer (Sounds a little fuzzy to me based on the reviews i've seen)

Sl Drive by xotic

Digitech Bad Monkey (Affordable but i heard it kills your clean tone)

Any suggestions?
Quote by xxaleckzandurre
I'm looking for a sort of boosted, fat, tube like sound that doesn't just come out really saturated and "gainy". I want a thick solo sound that still allows me to get out harmonics while also sounding good in a mix.
The fact that you cannot achieve it with your amp may be due to the fact that it's not a full tube amp.

As for the pedal, you look like you want a distortion pedal instead of a boost, 'cause a boost would be overdriving your amp's frontend which is something you would wanna do with a proper tube amp but most likely not with that.

Also, a boost is not something I'd use to get a tone with less gain.
Boosts add gain.

What's your budget, and could you give us some examples of some tones you wanna obtain?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The HT Club 40 probably has a good amount of gain by itself. Probably not enough to get you into the high gain territory, but enough to get you close.

That being said, here are some overdrives I'd recommend that would give you more than enough gain on tap.

- Electro-Harmonix Soul Food

- Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive

- Fulltone OCD

- TC Electronic Spark Boost
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
Quote by Spambot_2

(a) As for the pedal, you look like you want a distortion pedal instead of a boost,

(b) Also, a boost is not something I'd use to get a tone with less gain.
Boosts add gain.

(c) What's your budget, and could you give us some examples of some tones you wanna obtain?

(a) yeah or maybe a higher gain od (or at least one which tends to be used more as a standalone od)

(b) yeah. and conversely probably won't add enough dirt to the clean channel eithre to do what he wants.

(c) agreed
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I dunno what to believe about blackstar. Most here are against them, I'm alright with them. So I'd go with a green rhino, simply because it's a thick tube screamer sound with the ability to control how transparent it is (mid hump control). And unless you use 30 feet or more in chords, don't sweat the bypass too badly.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jun 25, 2014,