Page 1 of 2
Hello all!

I am needing some help making a decision, I hope you can offer some insight. I am thinking of buying the Orange Jim Root head and the cab as well, as I think it sounds marvelous and I would love to jam with it. The problem right now is that I live in SE Idaho, and there is virtually no music scene here at all. I cannot find a drummer no matter how hard I try.
So I can get this amp and it would be cool but I would basically be getting it with the hopes that I will be finding a band to put together soon, which may never happen. Should I instead use this $1,300.00 to get a mac? I currently have a Peavey Vypyr 100 and a Orange Micro Terror combo as well as several guitars, and I have plenty of material that I have written and want to record.
What do you think? Should I get the badass amp, or get a Mac and write and record my stuff with the equipment I currently own in hopes of finding band members who would be interesting in playing my music?
The benefit of getting th computer is that you'd at least be able to get your music out there, even if you don't have a band. So I would say yeah, get the Mac and some decent recording equipment.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Don't macs come with garage band too? I'd go with the mac, then eventually possibly sell the micro terror and vypyr or just save all the way back up for a new head and cab. By the time you've got the cash for a new amp you'll hopefully be in a band
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Don't macs come with garage band too? I'd go with the mac, then eventually possibly sell the micro terror and vypyr or just save all the way back up for a new head and cab. By the time you've got the cash for a new amp you'll hopefully be in a band

Yeah that is what I am hoping for, because with the Mac you can just use digital amps and effects through the programs right? I really do not need a physical amp unless it is for playing live.
Quote by TripLid
Yeah that is what I am hoping for, because with the Mac you can just use digital amps and effects through the programs right? I really do not need a physical amp unless it is for playing live.

Exactly. You'll be able to mess with all kinds of amps and sounds and experiment with recording quite a bit. Not to mention all the other practical use you'll get out of a mac. And like I said you can sell your current amps to help fund a new rig or just save up from nil and by then possibly be playing gigs or at least jamming with friends/a band
You'll probably get more out of the Mac. Like you don't need that much amp for what you'll most likely do musically.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Well to record you're going to need an input box as well so tack a few hundred dollars more for a half-decent DI Box. If you want to mic an amp you'll need a mic and a mic stand so that's another ~$130+. If you don't mic an amp then you''ll need to rely on amp VSTs. Retail suites go for hundreds, free VSTs are scattered about the internet. They tend to be more limiting because VST don't do anything but high gain very well.

How shit is your current computer that you couldn't record and edit music with it? It's not exactly hardware intensive and all the same software exists for Windows. If you don't want to pay for a Pro DAW then Reaper and Audacity are both more complete than Garageband.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 25, 2014,
You can probably save up $600-800 and build a Windows desktop that is more powerful than the Mac anyway. Macs are way overpriced.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
You can probably save up $600-800 and build a Windows desktop that is more powerful than the Mac anyway. Macs are way overpriced.

Sam, if he wants a Mac, let him buy a Mac. He probably doesn't need more power.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Haha thank you for all the replies, I am looking at the Mac Mini, looks like it has everything I would need. With the budget I have for the amp I would have about $400 left over for gear or programs. My current computer is so bad that will overheat and shut down when I try and record haha.
I'd also recommend buying the computer refurbished, as you can usually save a couple hundred dollars with no sacrifice on quality or anything.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Seref
Well to record you're going to need an input box as well so tack a few hundred dollars more for a half-decent DI Box. If you want to mic an amp you'll need a mic and a mic stand so that's another ~$130+. If you don't mic an amp then you''ll need to rely on amp VSTs. Retail suites go for hundreds, free VSTs are scattered about the internet. They tend to be more limiting because VST don't do anything but high gain very well.

How shit is your current computer that you couldn't record and edit music with it? It's not exactly hardware intensive and all the same software exists for Windows. If you don't want to pay for a Pro DAW then Reaper and Audacity are both more complete than Garageband.

this, except ~$100 for a decent recording interface will probably do
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
I thought this was a guitar forum, not a mac forum.

What you REALLY need is a new amp, bro.

Haha dude I want that amp so bad! I just recently played a tube amp for the first time and fell in love, especially with Orange. Only thing is I cannot find anyone to play with to save my life. So I would have a badass amp, but it would be stuck in my basement with me. I figured if I can record some stuff and send it to musicians maybe they can just lay tracks over my stuff and start a band across states or something.
Fuc macs seriously. What the ffing **** dude. Amp.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
It really is a difficult decision, I am a musician plain and simple. I live, breath, and bleed my music and it is all I have ever wanted to do and all I will do. I am about to have my first kid in January, and I was really hoping to get something started before then, you know...before I am going to be broke for the next 18 years haha. I really want to just plug in and turn it up loud as shit and get a crowd going, but there really aren't many options here you know? Thank you all for your input.
Quote by lolmnt
Sam, if he wants a Mac, let him buy a Mac. He probably doesn't need more power.

For recording, you do need a fairly powerful machine. You can't just pick up a laptop with basic specs and expect that you can therefore record anything (regardless of how many tracks you will use).

The issue is, to get a more powerful Mac, it may cost more than it would to get a more powerful Windows PC.

Quote by TripLid
Haha thank you for all the replies, I am looking at the Mac Mini, looks like it has everything I would need.

Does everything you need mean...it has Garage Band? Because that program is going to be terrible for recording guitars, drums, bass, etc. It's just not a great program. Reaper is a cheaper ($60) program that can be downloaded for Macs or Windows, and it works much better for that sort of thing.

You can stop by the recording forum and look at the stickies on VSTs and Interfaces and such too. If you have any specific questions, people there can probably help you out too. Do look at the stickies BEFORE you start a new thread though. It bugs some of the regs when people start up a new thread, and the sticky already covers that.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

The issue is, to get a more powerful Mac, it may will cost more than it would to get a more powerful Windows PC.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Like I mentioned I have been looking at the Mac Mini,
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

from what I have read that should be able to handle recording fairly well.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
For recording, you do need a fairly powerful machine. You can't just pick up a laptop with basic specs and expect that you can therefore record anything (regardless of how many tracks you will use).

The issue is, to get a more powerful Mac, it may cost more than it would to get a more powerful Windows PC.

Does everything you need mean...it has Garage Band? Because that program is going to be terrible for recording guitars, drums, bass, etc. It's just not a great program. Reaper is a cheaper ($60) program that can be downloaded for Macs or Windows, and it works much better for that sort of thing.

You can stop by the recording forum and look at the stickies on VSTs and Interfaces and such too. If you have any specific questions, people there can probably help you out too. Do look at the stickies BEFORE you start a new thread though. It bugs some of the regs when people start up a new thread, and the sticky already covers that.

ah I did not see your reply when I just posted those mac specs. I was actually hoping to pick up Pro Tools, and use something like Garage Band in the meantime. I did not know it was that bad though
Quote by TripLid
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

Ok...from what you've heard from who? Some salesmen? Or what?

Because my thoughts are...looking at those specs...NO, it won't handle recording very well. I would recommend some with twice as much processing power and twice as much RAM. Think, you're going to running a DAW (aka "Digital Audio Workspace"...such as Reaper or FL Studio). Your guitar or a mic will be plugged into an Interface (see the recordings forum URL above and find the interface sticky), which will most likely use a USB connection to plug into your computer. Then, your guitar or the mic will be recorded to a track in the DAW. On the track, there will be plugins (commonly called "VSTs"), which could emulate an amp head and/or cabinet, effects (delay, wah, etc.), etc. The more tracks you have (and you'll probably need a minimum of 10 tracks, even for the most basic song), the more it's going to draw on the resources of your processor and RAM. So, you need something with some juice, man.

The graphics card shouldn't enter into the equation, but you might want a nicer one if it happens to be a thing where the computer already has a nicer one. Just one of those "nice things". lol
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jun 25, 2014,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Because my thoughts are...looking at those specs...NO, it won't handle recording very well. I would recommend some with twice as much processing power and twice as much RAM. Think, you're going to running a DAW (aka "Digital Audio Workspace"...such as Reaper or FL Studio). Your guitar or a mic will be plugged into an Interface (see the recordings forum URL above and find the interface sticky). Then, your guitar or the mic will be recorded to a track in the DAW. On the track, there will be plugins (commonly called "VSTs"), which could emulate an amp head and/or cabinet, effects (delay, wah, etc.), etc. The more tracks you have (and you'll probably need a minimum of 10 tracks, even for the most basic song), the more it's going to draw on the resources of your processor and RAM. So, you need something with some juice, man.

The graphics card shouldn't enter into the equation, but you might want a nicer one if it happens to be a thing where the computer already has a nicer one. Just one of those "nice things". lol

Processor is adequate, but RAM is pathetically low.

Which is stupid, given that RAM is cheap.
Charles Darwin
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Maybe he wants a Mac. I have a Mac. I like it way more than my PC.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by TripLid
4GB memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
OS X Mavericks

you'll want at least 8gb of ram
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Because my thoughts are...looking at those specs...NO, it won't handle recording very well. I would recommend some with twice as much processing power and twice as much RAM. Think, you're going to running a DAW (aka "Digital Audio Workspace"...such as Reaper or FL Studio). Your guitar or a mic will be plugged into an Interface (see the recordings forum URL above and find the interface sticky), which will most likely use a USB connection to plug into your computer. Then, your guitar or the mic will be recorded to a track in the DAW. On the track, there will be plugins (commonly called "VSTs"), which could emulate an amp head and/or cabinet, effects (delay, wah, etc.), etc. The more tracks you have (and you'll probably need a minimum of 10 tracks, even for the most basic song), the more it's going to draw on the resources of your processor and RAM. So, you need something with some juice, man.

Oh damn...ha I was mixing this and the IMAC up, I thought it had 8gb Ram and was not paying attention. So the Mac mini would be inadequate..that is too bad.
Quote by Arby911
Processor is adequate, but RAM is pathetically low.

Which is stupid, given that RAM is cheap.

Well, "adequate"...to me, depends on what you want to do. I also try to get a bit more wiggle room myself processor-wise, but that's just me.

But, yes, the RAM is the major concern. 4GB of RAM is pathetic these days. I'd get 8GB.

Quote by lolmnt
Maybe he wants a Mac. I have a Mac. I like it way more than my PC.

That's perfectly fine. I'm just saying, he needs something with more juice (specifically RAM) than the Mac Mini's specs he has provided.
2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

So this is the Imac, I can get this but would have no left of moneys for extras. I guess I will have to check out PC parts picker or newegg and see what I can do for that price.
Quote by TripLid
2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
8GB (two 4GB) memory
1TB hard drive1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics

So this is the Imac, I can get this but would have no left of moneys for extras. I guess I will have to check out PC parts picker or newegg and see what I can do for that price.

What is your budget?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
What is your budget?

$1,300.00 is my budget, is that even enough for a good recording machine or should I just go for the amp?
Quote by TripLid
$1,300.00 is my budget, is that even enough for a good recording machine or should I just go for the amp?

I also would hope to save a little money to get at least a interface for my guitar
Have you thought about building a hackintosh?
You could get some pretty good specs while being cheaper.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
My thoughts...

Seref: Sorry, but you don't know so much about recording, or at least you treat your opinion as fact, when it is not as correct as you think.

lolmnt: You're cute as hell.

Sam: You're wrong in places, e.g. the RAM thing.

Basically, the Mac Mini you quoted will do fine - it's not too different to the basic model I have, except I spec'd mine up more. 4GB RAM is twice what I had in the Mac I recorded my band's last album with and that was doable... yes, it didn't cope well with more complex stuff, but 4GB RAM is fine for a beginner who won't be recording lots of simultaneous tracks etc.

Even if he did want to upgrade RAM, it's as easy as unscrewing the bottom of a modern Mac Mini and popping out the old stick and the new one(s) in. I used 3rd party, apple 'approved' RAM and took mine from 4GB to 16GB for a cost of ~£70 (Apple charge £240 or something to upgrade from 4 - 16).

Yes, Macs are expensive, but if you have the money to burn then feel free. It's a lot less hassle than picking a good PC for recording when you're a beginner and don't know much about hardware configurations with known issues, or sorting out driver problems (not something you would worry about with a Mac).

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
That's perfectly fine. I'm just saying, he needs something with more juice (specifically RAM) than the Mac Mini's specs he has provided.

No, he really doesn't. He's not tracking 10+ channels simultaneously, or likely to have projects with hundreds of tracks/lots and lots of software instrument tracks.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Id go with the computer. Its much more useful than the amp, plus oranges are way overpriced and you already have an amp.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
swear it's weird when you lot who i've never known have recorded anything are telling man you need some mad computer to do it

i made edm stuff on a laptop with like 4gb ram and a 1.35GHz processor and that's a lot more intensive than shit RIM stuff and it managed fine you just need to be a bit clever lol

like you lot must be loading up 6 reverbs on every channel if you think you NEED 4GHZ and 8GB RAM
he's not rendering the avatar movie, hes just going to record some music, the ef
Quote by TripLid

Mate omg just go to the computer thread and talk to them about putting together a pc out of parts. you could have an AMAZING machine for recording for like half of your budget

I have a machine that does everything I could need to do proper commercial quality releases and it was like £300 odd made from parts
Page 1 of 2