Hi all, I have this lovely Charvel 475 deluxe that I've been playing for over 20 years now. It has Jackson PUs.

My gear:
- Gughes and Kettner ATS Series
- Line 6 POD XT Live

The clean sound of the single coils is great, however the humbucker needs a little more punch, it doesn't have a lot of low, and it gets very muddy when hi-distorted soloing on the lowest strings (no string buzzing although).

Recently a guitar shop was selling out, and they were dumping these humbuckers:
- Seymour Duncan SH-6b "Distortion Humbucker"
- Dimarzio DP216BK "Mo' Joe"
- Dimarzio DP166BK "The Breed" Bridge

Unfortunately, all of the staff got fired so no one could help me (the shop owner being a complete guitar noob), so I took all three of them home :-)

I can put them in and test for myself, however I have no experience in comparing PUs neither installing them (and I'd prefer to keep the other packages sealed) ...

I know DP216BK is linked to "Joe Satriani", and DP166 is linked to "Steve Vai".
But it doesn't make sence at all to only take this into account...

Anyone who can help me making up my mind? Are they OK for hi-distorted fluid metal oriented soloing sounds?

Any kind of help/tips/do's/don'ts/references would be very much appeiciated! Thanks in advance
Attachments:
DSC_0465.JPG
the duncan is a high output ceramic distortion-style pickup. fairly tightish and some would say harsh (if you like alnico). it's going to be a fair bit higher in output than the other two. i think george lynch used the duncan distortion when he was in dokken, so that might give you some idea of the tone. high output, bit fizzy, pretty 80s-sounding (almost thrashy).

both the other two are sort of medium output alnico V type pickups. the fred sounds pretty close to satch (at least it did to my ears when i tried it). the breed probably sounds less like what you think steve vai does as it's sort of his take on a more classic humbucker tone (the evo, or even the paf pro, probably sounds more like a characteristic vai type of tone).

it's really up to you. If you can be bothered you can try them all. obviously it's hard to compare that well considering how long it'll take to resolder etc., but hopefully you'll get some idea of what they're like.

if you can't, it really depends on what you want. if you want the highest output, most distorted, tightest one it's probably the duncan distortion. if you want the best all-rounder it's probably the breed. if you want a very lead-orientated pickup it's probably the fred as it's quite vocal-sounding.

I think. That's probably BS. And very dependent on personal preference, the rest of your gear, settings, how you play, etc.

edit: nice charvel
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 25, 2014,
Thanks for the info!

> the fred sounds pretty close to satch
Do you mean "pretty close to Satriani's sound"?
(sry no native English guitarist here :-))

> obviously it's hard to compare that well considering how long it'll take to resolder etc.
I guess only thing one can could do is record everything to make comparing somewhat easier. But even then it's hard as I think it's equally important to compare how the PU reacts on how you play the guitar. And unfortunately this is something you can't record ...

> edit: nice charvel
Love at first sight ... some 20 years ago :-)
Haven't seen a lot of these in this blue-ish transparant color.
Needs a refret, but I'm afraid of damaging the fretboard's binding.

Mmmm ... plan B was to choose one PU for my Charvel, and use the others to upgrade my Iceman IC400: "Charvel -> Dunkan" and "Iceman -> Dimarzio's" might be an option. However the Iceman already sounds great, even with its stock PUs. Never change a winning team ...

I'll give it another thought, thanks again!
Attachments:
DSC_0456.JPG
yeah satch is satriani's nickname.

and yeah that's the problem, recording will only tell you so much. i guess you could make notes about your thoughts or something like that.

nice iceman too I guess it depends on how much you're willing to fiddle about and how much you just want to play the thing. You could swap all the pickups into both the guitars, to see exactly how they sound, but it depends on whether you could be bothered or not (I couldn't ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whooosh that Black Winter indeed ... sounds as if another guitarist joins the game ...
Unfortunately, I already have the PUs, so this one is not an option.
But thanks for pointing me to this one!
I'm a big fan of the SH-6 personally. It's a classic ceramic high output pickup - tight lows/low mids, grinding high mids and sizzly treble. Great in darker guitars, but I found it was a bit bright for alder or ash guitars (it can work if you're downtuning though!)
The Breed is good if you want a big thick midrangey sound. It's a high output Alnico V magnet pickup. Great soloing tones.
The Mo'Joe is a bit lower output than the Distortion or the Breed. I'm not familiar with it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i totally misread the first post. i thought he'd got a fred I haven't tried the mo joe I suspect it's similar to a paf pro, but
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?