the ol' B.C. Warlock is great for metal but not as versatile as I'd like (for blues and post rock ambient stuff) rather than swap out pickups I want to start over with a new guitar.

I was thinking semi-hollow and replace the bridge pickup with something br00tal (I play a lot of thrash, death, and black metal)

I see a lot of mixed thoughts on this so I was hoping to just have people give their two cents on the subject, no sources needed to be sited, just your thoughts.
wouldn't be my first choice, put it like that. i don't have that much experience with non-solids, but the ones i have tried weren't really tight enough for my liking for that type of stuff.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Chugging, not really. Shredding, absolutely
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Both devin Townsend and Ben Weinman from Dillinger have signature semi hollow guitars, but they play stuff all over the place and I wouldn't really consider either one to play "chugging" metal. So to further Robb's point, shredding yes, chugging no. Pickups and amp do a lot of work as well though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
It will work just fine as long as the pickups are suited to the sound you want. The wood that matters in a semi-hollow is the center block that the pickups are set in. The hollow areas aren’t functional in the way a hollow guitar is; they don’t cause feedback like true hollow guitars have. They’re just cosmetics that Les Paul dreamed up when people didn’t want to play with him because his log design was too radical.
I've accidentally torn my balls playing an Epiphone Dot before. Don't let the ol' fashion looks fool you, a semi-hollow can handle gain pretty well. I don't know about dark-post-death-xtreme-core-black-metal, probly not pointy enough. But it'll do chuggy palm muting and get pretty heavy.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I've accidentally torn my balls playing an Epiphone Dot before.

damn dawg are your balls okay?
banned
Quote by Robbgnarly
Chugging, not really. Shredding, absolutely

yeah that's a good point, chugging and shredding are kind of different. even higher gain shredding i'd say wouldn't be ideal, but obviously you can shred with lower gain tones as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try the ESP PS-1 they can be had for about £350 and if you put some hot pickups in you will be able to chug, focus on the low mids on your amp, try thicker strings as well but ive been looking at this guitar for the same reason. depending on your budget you could look at the Gibson florentines ( very expensive though )
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
Quote by deadsmileyface
i think your only problem would be feedback from using lots of distortion. other than that, why not?

^^^ This.

There is a practical limitation to how much gain you can use with a 335/Sheraton style guitar before they just feedback unmercifully. If "Rush" levels of gain are enough for you then give it a shot. If you need death metal heavy, she will howl like a scalded cat.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
here is some semi/hollow shredding
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hjb-0B-VGc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate