After doing some extensive research I thought the Blackstar ht5 was the way to goal is extreme gain. I remember playing a friends full stack years ago and it sounded perfect, it was a jcm 900...., I did try a dsl 40c but it sounded thin. Then I tried the ht5 today and it came close to the sound I was looking for, then I added a tube screamer but it didnt take me over the edge distortion, it did increase the gain a tad but it seemed to add more noise than anything. I could tell the quality was high but the gain didnt quite get me where I needed to be. This is for bedroom use only so, not sure where to go from here to get the sound I'm looking for. I thought about the yamaha thr line but those things have small
That blackstar has a bunch of solid state BS going on, could be one reason the boost didn't do as much as you wanted. Jet City is where you wanna look IMO.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
I could tell the quality was high
Not even
Quote by lp4lifessamberl
but the gain didnt quite get me where I needed to be.
I second the opamps trickery idea as the fault of the average sound.

I also second your worries about the small speakers in the THR - they do sound small.

Also you don't need that much gain.
Nobody needs that much gain unless they play black metal.

What's your budget, what gear do you already have, are you willing to buy used stuff, where do you live and who do you wanna sound like?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
were you using the ts with gain low, level high?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Bedroom? Pod/Zoom/Tonelab
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY