Hi, I'm wondering if anyone knows if two Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amps could be connected? Like one acting as a cab. I'm planning on recording with my band soon and I could easily access another HRD, but I don't have the money to get an independent cab.

I suppose if no one knows, I can find out for myself. lol.

Also don't really need new amp/cab suggestions, I really enjoy this amp and the tone I get out of it. I know what cab I'd like to get in the future.

Thanks in advance
Right away, it's not possible (not that I know of) to plug straight and use another combo as a cab.

I really enjoy this amp and the tone I get out of it

Then why would you need a cabinet, especially for recording? Just mic the combo?
You'd have to extend the speaker cable from the speakers on the bottom amp (assuming this is the one you have turned off) and plug it into the extension speaker output on the top amp. Switch the impedance down one notch.

But if you are recording - why? I mean really, what's the point?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 26, 2014,
Easily done with a long speaker cable. Why do this though? Curious minds....
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
There's really no purpose behind doing this, the HRD is perfectly capable of being loud enough on its own...
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Yeah, I'm curious about why the extra speaker as well. Most recording is done either direct (if there's an out put on the HRD's preamp section -- I rarely pay attention to HRDs) or with a single speaker close-miked.

There are any number of ways to connect your guitar (and pedal train's) signal chain to two different amps. They include AB boxes, stereo output delay pedals, etc.

If you leave one of the HRDs in the OFF position and extend the speaker cable, you should be able to use it as an extension speaker cabinet. I've done this with a cable that has a 1/4" on one end and a pair of alligator clips on the other (these clip onto the leads of the second HRD's speaker -- again, with the second HRD NOT plugged into the way and switched off).
Thanks for the responses. I know it sounds odd. I thought it would add some extra fullness to the overall sound, especially in a recording setting since I'm the only guitar player in the band. We want to record as "live" as possible.
No. That's not how to do it. If you want studio "fullness," double track it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification