Im really starting to get annoyed. I have been playing guitar for 14 years and to this day I have never been able to get a TRUE Metallica tone.

Its simple, I want to sound identical to the tone on Puppets and Justice. Make no mistake, I havent been trying crappy little pedals. I have tried EVERYTHING! I bought a Mark V, no luck so I sold it on ebay, I tried a dual rectifier, still no luck, now. I own a Peavey 6505+ with a MXR 10 band eq, still not close!

I have recently watched youtube vids of people using the axe fx and they sound 100% accurate to puppets or justice! It literally sounds like he took the tone from those albums, threw it into his amp and thats the sound.

Why is it so hard to get that exact tone and will the Axe FX solve this problem once and for all?
Quote by Metalguy5784
Im really starting to get annoyed. I have been playing guitar for 14 years and to this day I have never been able to get a TRUE Metallica tone.

Why is it so hard to get that exact tone and will the Axe FX solve this problem once and for all?

Not...for you.

Metallica has been able to get TRUE Metallica tone for about 13 years before they started using an AxeFX.
You're trying to copy an album tone? Not happening without recording and double/quad-tracking your guitars.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah the guitars were double tracked or even quad tracked which alters the original tone, and you've also got to factor in the microphone and other gear that was used to color the tone before it was actually recorded
Quote by Metalguy5784

Its simple, I want to sound identical to the tone on Puppets and Justice. Make no mistake, I havent been trying crappy little pedals. I have tried EVERYTHING! I bought a Mark V, no luck so I sold it on ebay, I tried a dual rectifier, still no luck, now. I own a Peavey 6505+ with a MXR 10 band eq, still not close!

I have recently watched youtube vids of people using the axe fx and they sound 100% accurate to puppets or justice! It literally sounds like he took the tone from those albums, threw it into his amp and thats the sound.

How close to what you want are these clips?

https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/twilight-wolf
https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/tune-it-down
https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/vcvccv
https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/creep
https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/cxbdfb
https://soundcloud.com/user7782916/one
Last edited by demerda at Jun 26, 2014,
^ Those are some pretty solid tones. I've come across quite a few Metallica covers here on UG over the years with nice tones. You must be doing something seriously wrong if you've been tone chasing 14 years and you still can't get a decent tone like the one above.
It sounds like you've spent a good bit of money chasing the tone, but you spent it on the wrong things. Metallica never used an axe fx on those albums so you don't need one to reproduce the sound....however that may be a plausible answer for you.

First you only mentioned the amps you've tried, you didn't mention anything about the guitars being used. Second they never used either amp setup you tried. They used a combination of mark IIc+ as a preamp running into marshall heads as a power amp, layered with ADA MP-1 preamps with Mesa poweramps, Plus tons of other things along the way, all layered on each other, etc. The two albums you mentioned both had different tones and set ups. So it would be fairly difficult to replicate their sound with out loads of expensive ass equipment. The axe fx would probably allow you to simulate much of this extra equipment and layering once you programmed it in, so it may very well be a reasonable solution to your quest.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to sound like a band/ artist. But given the amount of production that goes into a song - you won't even replicate the sound with the identical set up - due to processing.

For years, I was trying to get a Mark Tremonti clean tone - but nothing fit. One day, I simply found a clean tone I liked and stuck with it.

I now have a tone which is great, and compared to friends tones - is fairly unique to me (as much as it can be anyway!)
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
Quote by demerda

....That's about as close as anyone's gonna get Those are truly incredible. I thought you just ripped the guitar tracks off the album
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Quote by demerda

Thats what im looking for! Ofcourse I understand that they didnt use Axefx when they recorded justice and puppets, since the mark V has the IIC+ channel, i thought I could get that tone with the mark V, but I couldnt.

Im using a Marshall cab with a ESP-MII and I just ordered a LTD hetfeld snakebyte with. Hetset pickups
My Kemper comes pretty damn close. Here's one guy's demo (and download links to his free profiles):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8SJgn0s6Qw

I've thrown a clean boost into the chain to thicken things up a bit. My modified MOP clone is pretty much my "go to" profile.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Metalguy5784
Thats what im looking for! Ofcourse I understand that they didnt use Axefx when they recorded justice and puppets, since the mark V has the IIC+ channel, i thought I could get that tone with the mark V, but I couldnt.

Im using a Marshall cab with a ESP-MII and I just ordered a LTD hetfeld snakebyte with. Hetset pickups

I think you have two options:
1) Spending thousand and thousands in equipment to make their tone (more than what you already have)

Or, do as I done in my sound clips that I showed to you:
2) Buy a nice guitar (I have a Gibson Explorer with EMG 81/85) and a good usb interface.
That's it, that's all I used to make them... But obviously you have to have experience in the "digital" world.

Of course 1) is much better than 2)... only if you are rich
Nonetheless, option 2) is quite good. Sound clips proves that
Last edited by demerda at Jun 26, 2014,
You should be able to get those tones with just about any Mesa, Pod, Tonelab, or other DME.

Some guys just sound different when they play though. Other guitarists sound way different on my rig than I do. Same with Tony Iommi. We all bring our own stuff to the party, as it should be.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
The SilentUnderground stuff is really great. Sounds as identical as you can get in my opinion and you can just download his stuff instead of having to figure everything out yourself if you're not into that.
If you want to get Hetfield's tone, you'll ened hetfield hands. good luck.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
100% replicating studio tone is just not going to happen. Though the soundclips were really close. But it won't sound the same without all the multitracking and other insturments playing at the same time. I think the best thing to do is to find your own sound and not care about it not sounding like Master of Puppets or Justice. It is almost impossible to replicate those tones, even with the same gear. Yeah, I guess Axe FX or similar will get you closest because it's a modeling unit and can do almost anything.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115