Page 1 of 2
Competition. Music is not a competition, but sometimes I can't help but compare myself to other guitarists. Sometimes a sigh of relief that I have better technique than someone, or sometimes an alarm goes off inside of me when I hear someone superior and think "I need to practice more until I'm at least as good as they are!" (Happens a lot after watching guitarists on YouTube with perfect technique). It's not a massive concern of mine to be better than others persay, but if I found out some kid at my school played better than I did I would practice my ass off. :P I'm usually competitive with academics too though (typical asian). Does anyone else ever feel this way? Why do you think?
I don't usually get competitive. It happens every once in awhile. I think it's good to get a little competitive, it motivates you to practice more and become a better player.
To strive is human, greed and gluttony are quite basic 'flaws' if you may call them that. From stagnation comes nothing but death. Every human being is competitive, it is how we improve upon ourselves. Some simply find it easier to improve upon others, this could perhaps be called competition.

Personally, I must admit that I have this as well at times, but depending on how much you begrudge yourself, there may be nothing wrong with it. If I see or hear something I wish to be able to do, I do it. And if it simply takes time, time I take. If it needs practice instead, I will practice.

But unless you are capable of inventing the wheel by yourself, you will need to at the very least copy others. And by essence you will be trying to improve upon others through this; it may not often be because of obvious greed/gluttony, but wanting to improve yourself is the simplest of human wants, simple survivor instincts, to also enjoy that is not strange in the slightest.

Make of this what you will, I for one cannot imagine ever stop wanting to improve, and I much enjoy having a visible and audible goal to work towards. Just remember not to begrudge yourself anything you cannot do (yet). Jealousy is also very human, and scarcely enjoyable in my experience.

edit: Upon re-reading a bit more once again, something that also came to mind was also another part of the human condition. Alpha-behaviour. The want to establish yourself at top of the troupe. I'll not drag this out more than it has to be. But suffice to say that your question, if one could call it that, has more to do with how we work rather than anything else. Interesting food for discussion nonetheless.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Jun 26, 2014,
Sometimes I do compare myself to other guitarists. But only for a small moment. While my hat goes off to folks like Dave Gilmore, SRV, Satriani, Santana and stuff for having their craft down to a fine art - they probably can't play like me. That's somethin that Carlos doesn't lose sleep over (which is fine and dandy by me).

I play at the level I'm at, in the way that I like - which is what's important to me.

No point getting wrapped up in comparing yourself to others. It' doesn't achieve much.
Quote by evhledzep5150
Competition. Music is not a competition, but sometimes I can't help but compare myself to other guitarists. Sometimes a sigh of relief that I have better technique than someone, or sometimes an alarm goes off inside of me when I hear someone superior and think "I need to practice more until I'm at least as good as they are!" (Happens a lot after watching guitarists on YouTube with perfect technique). It's not a massive concern of mine to be better than others persay, but if I found out some kid at my school played better than I did I would practice my ass off. :P I'm usually competitive with academics too though (typical asian). Does anyone else ever feel this way? Why do you think?

I used to be hyper competitive in high school. It can serve as a great motivator. However, eventually, after 15000 hours or so of playing, you realize that after a certain skill level is attained, it's less about speed or techniques, and more about style and preferences. As you get older the competitive element definitely fades a lot, and there are less people to compete with, since most people stop playing or stop putting serious time in.
Quote by reverb66
As you get older the competitive element definitely fades a lot, and there are less people to compete with, since most people stop playing or stop putting serious time in.

or they're dead

seriously, though, yeah i'm less competitive than i was. i guess, like most things, competitiveness can be used in a good or a bad way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, I get competitive. I try to stay aware of it and to not act impulsively or out of spite, but it happens. Can't turn it off.

But it's a positive thing too. Healthy and friendly competition benefits everyone involved.
This is a pretty dumb thread if you ask me if you see music as a competition then you might as well stop playing. Music is an art form, and in art there is no competition just another persons interpretation of how something should be. The only competition you should be in is with yourself when it all comes down to who's the best artist it's all subjective get your mind out of the gutter kid..

^ Yeah, but you could consider it being competitive when you compare yourself to other guitarists (and want to do the same stuff as them). I don't know what's so bad in that. You can learn a lot from other guitarists. Of course if it makes you feel bad that other guitarists are better than you, it's not good. But if comparing yourself to other guitarists motivates you, then it's a good thing.

Haven't you ever been a bit jealous because somebody could play better than you?

I don't really care that much about how good technique somebody has any more (of course if somebody has a bad technique, it just doesn't sound good). I'm more into the musical side (if I like the playing style).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 26, 2014,
Quote by Black_devils
This is a pretty dumb thread if you ask me if you see music as a competition then you might as well stop playing.

It's no dumber than thinking you've got the entire raison d'être of music worked out, if you ask me. Or thinking that you're qualified or justified in telling other people to quit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
At some point you realize there's no use in comparing - all guitarists are apples and oranges.

What you can do, however, is recognize when someone else has a grasp on something that you don't, and then learn from it.

And while it might be easy to "compare" technique, that's rarely the thing to go after on your own time. Once you're technique is decent, the real challenge is using it effectively. There's no imitating someone else's intention, because you can't hear what they hear. When you come across a great guitarist, you should be motivated to improve the way you think about and approach music, not just the way your hands play the notes.
Quote by evhledzep5150

My motivation for playing music is based on the enjoyment I get from doing it. I don't feel the need or see the benefit in treating it as a competition. If I hear someone else play guitar really well, I usually enjoy it. I'm happy & inspired to have witnessed it, and I'm glad for that person. If I really like the music, I might learn it….. not to prove anything, not to compete, but simply because I think it will be fun.
I used to be like this when I was younger. After I listened to the solo of Floods by Pantera I realized music is all about the sound you get out of your guitar, and not about how perfect your technique is.

I have never been competitive after that, I just do my stuff and let others do theirs. Still get pissed when someone says a musician is better than another one, though
Quote by GuitarMunky
My motivation for playing music is based on the enjoyment I get from doing it. I don't feel the need or see the benefit in treating it as a competition. If I hear someone else play guitar really well, I usually enjoy it. I'm happy & inspired to have witnessed it, and I'm glad for that person. If I really like the music, I might learn it….. not to prove anything, not to compete, but simply because I think it will be fun.

I agree with your post it's the most logical one here! At the end of the day music is recycled people take from other musicians all the time I just don't understand why anyone would see music as a competition seriously...

I just don't see how being better than another guitar player can be used as motivation it's stupid every guitar player is unique in their own ways. Technical skills don't mean a thing if you can't utilize your chops to make decent music there's guitar players out there that can shred their asses off and have great chops, but can't compose for their life lol..

Quote by Dave_Mc
It's no dumber than thinking you've got the entire raison d'être of music worked out, if you ask me. Or thinking that you're qualified or justified in telling other people to quit.

I never indicated anywhere in my post that the OP should quit. All I was trying to get to was that if you see guitar playing as a competition then it's pretty pointless music is an art form no musician is better than any other musician.. If he sees it as a competition maybe he should just join a sport then it would fit him better.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Yeah, but you could consider it being competitive when you compare yourself to other guitarists (and want to do the same stuff as them). I don't know what's so bad in that. You can learn a lot from other guitarists. Of course if it makes you feel bad that other guitarists are better than you, it's not good. But if comparing yourself to other guitarists motivates you, then it's a good thing.

Haven't you ever been a bit jealous because somebody could play better than you?

I don't really care that much about how good technique somebody has any more (of course if somebody has a bad technique, it just doesn't sound good). I'm more into the musical side (if I like the playing style).

I've never been jealous of anyone's playing Eddie Van Halen can't finger pick to save his life what's there to be jealous of lol? I always focus on my own playing you won't really get anywhere in your playing journey if your always focused on what the next person can do, and what you can't do.
It's normal dude, but as it has been previously mentioned here, it tends to fade away the older you get. Jealousy or competitiveness turns into admiration and respect for the most part. At the heart of it - you know what you need to do to gain "x" skill or whatever it may be, your goals, your time, you know if it's spent well. So in conclusion I guess what I'm saying is the competitiveness you're explaining is not necessarily just a jealousy in their abilities, but also a taint of regret for your own lack of dedication.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Turn that competitiveness into a desire to learn. It's healthy to recognize when another guitarist has one up on you, but you still have to have a good attitude about it. It's about the sounds you want to make, not the person playing. Would you be more satisfied if they sucked? No, because you wouldn't be any better for it. The more enviable players you listen to, the more opportunities you have to advance your own playing and incorporate all those awesome sounds other guitarists make.
Quote by Black_devils
I've never been jealous of anyone's playing Eddie Van Halen can't finger pick to save his life what's there to be jealous of lol? I always focus on my own playing you won't really get anywhere in your playing journey if your always focused on what the next person can do, and what you can't do.

I said "a bit jealous". You don't need to reason it. I mean, I could be a bit jealous when somebody can play something cool that I can't. And that's pretty normal. It has nothing to do with not being able to finger pick. If EVH has one skill that I'm jealous of, I'm jealous, even if there are some other skills that I'm not jealous of. I could be jealous of his tapping skills or something like that, no matter how bad he is at finger picking. And I would actually say that trying to "defend" your jealousy by finding something the guitarist can't do is part of being jealous ("for example EVH sucks at fingerpicking").

I think being able to admit that you are jealous is a good thing. If you recognize it, you may get over it and it may not demotivate you. Being a bit jealous of somebody can be a good thing. Because it may make you want to get better. For example if there are two friends who both play the same instrument and one of them finds something really cool, the other notices that and he needs to learn to do the same. As long as the "competition" doesn't get too serious, I think it can be a good thing and can motivate you.

Maybe "jealous" is not a good word to describe it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 27, 2014,
Quote by Black_devils
I never indicated anywhere in my post that the OP should quit. All I was trying to get to was that if you see guitar playing as a competition then it's pretty pointless music is an art form no musician is better than any other musician.. If he sees it as a competition maybe he should just join a sport then it would fit him better.

You said any guitar player (or musician, really) who saw it as a competition "might as well quit". That's pretty clear cut to me.

Should all those people entering the "Young Musician of the Year" competition just quit?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Musician_of_the_Year

First sentence:

"The BBC Young Musician of the Year is a televised national music competition." (my bolding)

I guess they're all doing it wrong. But to my uneducated eyes, they could take me back to school when it comes to music.

(You could even make a pretty good argument that auditions are competitions, too.)

Quote by cdgraves
Turn that competitiveness into a desire to learn. It's healthy to recognize when another guitarist has one up on you, but you still have to have a good attitude about it. It's about the sounds you want to make, not the person playing. Would you be more satisfied if they sucked? No, because you wouldn't be any better for it. The more enviable players you listen to, the more opportunities you have to advance your own playing and incorporate all those awesome sounds other guitarists make.

Agreed- as I said above, you can make it into a good thing or a bad thing. If you make it into a good thing, you can use it to your advantage. I'm less competitive than I was, but even years ago I was never jealous of anyone better than me- I used it as a spur to want to get better myself.

It's like that old Henry Ford quote- "Perfection is unattainable, but those who aim for it get closer than those who don't". I think it's a similar thing here to the perfectionism thing- yes, some types perfectionism (analogous to the competition we're talking about in this thread) can be a bad thing, but not all.

Quote by Black_devils
I've never been jealous of anyone's playing Eddie Van Halen can't finger pick to save his life what's there to be jealous of lol?

Yeah, he's only like arguably the second most influential rock guitar player (at least when playing style/chops/tone come into it) after Hendrix. What a noob!

Quote by MaggaraMarine
(a) And I would actually say that trying to "defend" your jealousy by finding something the guitarist can't do is part of being jealous ("for example EVH sucks at fingerpicking").

(b) I think being able to admit that you are jealous is a good thing. If you recognize it, you may get over it and it may not demotivate you. Being a bit jealous of somebody can be a good thing. Because it may make you want to get better. For example if there are two friends who both play the same instrument and one of them finds something really cool, the other notices that and he needs to learn to do the same. As long as the "competition" doesn't get too serious, I think it can be a good thing and can motivate you.

Maybe "jealous" is not a good word to describe it.

(a) Oooh burn

"I'm not jealous of EVH. He sucks anyway."

(b) +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 27, 2014,
I don't think Eddie Van Halen sucks I was just stating that there's nothing to be jealous of he's a great guitarist, but there's somethings he can't even do which is why I pointed out that he can't finger pick loool... Look I don't get even a little bit jealous of other players if someone can play well I'll be impressed, but never jealous I never have or never will it's pointless.

I advance in my guitar playing by setting my own goals not by seeing it as a competition to me that's a very unhealthy state of mind to be in, but if it's what works for you then go ahead I couldn't really care anymore as of now.

Fair enough, me neither
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, after having Butt sex with most of the big names out there, there's really nothing to be envious or competitive about - none of these guys can take a dick.
Quote by wafflesyrup
Honestly, after having Butt sex with most of the big names out there, there's really nothing to be envious or competitive about - none of these guys can take a dick.

Wow!

It depresses me when I see someone play something I know I could probably never do. But yeah, I find the best stuff I record isn't flashy at all, so it shouldn't really upset me
Actually I'm pretty sure EVH can do some mean finger picking ("Finish What You Started"). Most of the actually good famous guitarists have a MUCH wider musical range than they demonstrate in their well-known songs. You can find videos/recordings of Zakk Wylde, Buckethead, and John5 doing chicken pickin, Chet Atkins doing two hand tapping, or random metal guys playing jazz.

That's not to be pedantic, just to say that players shouldn't be jealous of one particular skill, but instead to realize that those amazing players got that skill by taking on a lot of challenging music, even if it's not the style they usually play. Don't be envious of EVH or whoever because they can shred; be inspired that someone actually has the energy and curiosity to be so thorough in their self-education.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jun 27, 2014,
Umm just to clear up any confusion, I don't see music as a competition. I have a competitive spirit sometimes, but I channel that into trying to make myself better in any aspect of life. I find that having a competitive mentality at times can be an effective mechanism for improvement when in moderation. In the end though, it's about developing your own style and developing your technique to suit the needs of whatever artist you're trying to become. I just wanted to see if anyone related from time to time. I admit I've been insecure about my technique at times, but when I hear an amazing guitar player it motivates the hell out of me to improve because I want to better myself.
I try to only compete with myself, but I sometimes get depressed if I see someone who is a lot better than me XD Then I practice like a madman.

....And it happens almost every day.
Last edited by Elintasokas at Jun 27, 2014,
I'm competitive and feel absolutely no guilt about it. I'm not only relieved when I realize I'm better than someone but am pretty proud of it. If I realize that someone is better than me or is further along in their development than I am I look at what they've done and try and see how I can become better than them. I don't want to just be better than other people, I want to be so much better that I render them irrelevant. jk. Kinda.

I also get viciously jealous of people that are better than me. The beauty part is, there's always someone better than me and these are the people I try to surround myself with.

From the standpoint of being a professional in any area of music, it is extremely competitive and very often literally a competition. A competition for jobs, a competition for money, a competition for contacts (or those contacts' business).

I honestly see no issue with viewing it as a competition.

Or, you know, I just do it to be happy. If that makes everyone feel better.
Quote by evhledzep5150
"I need to practice more until I'm at least as good as they are

Makes you a better musician because of this right here. I can't count how many times I would make leaps in my playing, when I had a colleague playing with me on a semi regular basis.

Nothing to be ashamed of, assuming it doesn't become a fixation on being better than that person.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I'm competitive and feel absolutely no guilt about it. I'm not only relieved when I realize I'm better than someone but am pretty proud of it. If I realize that someone is better than me or is further along in their development than I am I look at what they've done and try and see how I can become better than them. I don't want to just be better than other people, I want to be so much better that I render them irrelevant. jk. Kinda.

I also get viciously jealous of people that are better than me. The beauty part is, there's always someone better than me and these are the people I try to surround myself with.

From the standpoint of being a professional in any area of music, it is extremely competitive and very often literally a competition. A competition for jobs, a competition for money, a competition for contacts (or those contacts' business).

I honestly see no issue with viewing it as a competition.

Or, you know, I just do it to be happy. If that makes everyone feel better.

The professional part of music is a competition for recording contracts? Please there's a whole bunch of talented people out there barely making it by while the most untalented people are famous lol... Maybe if you're a studio musician, but music in general no way dude ever heard of Ke$ha? No one cares how skilled you are all that matters is if you'll be able to sell to the general public lmfao! All that requires is knowing how to compose songs with basic open chord progressions mostly, and writing catchy lyrics.

Last edited by Black_devils at Jun 27, 2014,
Quote by evhledzep5150
Umm just to clear up any confusion, I don't see music as a competition. I have a competitive spirit sometimes, but I channel that into trying to make myself better in any aspect of life. I find that having a competitive mentality at times can be an effective mechanism for improvement when in moderation. In the end though, it's about developing your own style and developing your technique to suit the needs of whatever artist you're trying to become. I just wanted to see if anyone related from time to time. I admit I've been insecure about my technique at times, but when I hear an amazing guitar player it motivates the hell out of me to improve because I want to better myself.

Thing is every guitarist you look up to most likely looks up to someone else. There's no need to be insecure about your technique I've posted this many times that guitar playing is a journey not a competition. Each guitarist is going through their own individual journey you'll never be satisfied because music is never ending there's so much different styles of music out there that you'll never be able to learn them all in a life time.

You'll die not reaching your full potential realize that you can always be better than the day before i'm pretty sure the guitar players you admired didn't really give a shit about how anyone else was progressing they were to focused on developing themselves! This guitar playing being a competition is bunch of bull crap hell who's the better guitarist out of the three Jimi Page, Jimi Hendrix or Eddie Van Halen I want you to explain to me who's better out of the three of them maybe you'll realize that you can't compare them because it's like comparing apples to oranges it's impossible.

When it comes to music everything is subjective it's not about how fast your fingers can fly around on a piece of wood it's about the music your making I don't care if it's the most simplest licks an artist is playing compared to a guy shredding his ass off the listener doesn't care how fast you run your fingers around a piece of wood they just care about the music you're making..

Why are the Beatles so popular if they have really basic guitar technique compared to a neoclassical shredder? There's no such thing as the "Best guitarist" if you ask a group of people who they think the best is you'll probably get a whole bunch of different answers music isn't a sport you can't have people compete against each other it's not like you're having a group of people racing each other to see who's the fastest or having a weight lifting competition to see who's the strongest.

It is impossible to compare people in music it is 100% subjective you cannot compete in a form of art it's impossible.. Thinking that music is a competition is just crazy think about 5 different people cover 1 song all the song covers sound different how can you pick the best cover? You can't you can only pick your favorite cover out of the bunch of people it's not logical how can one guitar cover be better than the rest it's pointless.

Quote by Black_devils
No one cares how skilled you are all that matters is if you'll be able to sell to the general public lmfao! All that requires is knowing how to compose songs with basic open chord progressions mostly, and writing catchy lyrics.

Maybe you're being sarcastic, but in case you're not...

Professional music is extremely competitive. Most people who write, produce, and perform the stuff you hear on the radio are tremendous badasses. Anyone can get something decent written/recorded at some point, but they can't all do it day in and day out, on demand, and consistently enough to maintain a career. Try getting gigs in a crowded music scene and you'll see just how competitive it can get, even for shitty bar gigs.

The people compose pop tunes can play their asses off, but their real talent is knowing when not to. I guarantee the guy who laid down the synths for Ke$ha's hits can riff like Chick Corea in his sleep, but he also has the good sense to know when a song only needs 3 diatonic triads.

If there's one thing I've learned in going from "cocky shit player" to "modest professional", it's not to assume the suckiness of anyone else you hear. They're on stage, they're on the radio, they're in the studio, and you're not. And there's a reason for that.
Quote by Black_devils
The professional part of music is a competition for recording contracts? Please there's a whole bunch of talented people out there barely making it by while the most untalented people are famous lol... Maybe if you're a studio musician, but music in general no way dude ever heard of Ke$ha? No one cares how skilled you are all that matters is if you'll be able to sell to the general public lmfao! All that requires is knowing how to compose songs with basic open chord progressions mostly, and writing catchy lyrics.

Wut?
I think Devils just misread 'contacts' as 'contracts' and then proceeded. I also think this entire thread is subject to clarification on a number of its definitions, lest the entire thing be a bunch of relatively reasonable claimants mumbling past each other...
You might could use some double modals.
Quote by cdgraves
Maybe you're being sarcastic, but in case you're not...

Professional music is extremely competitive. Most people who write, produce, and perform the stuff you hear on the radio are tremendous badasses. Anyone can get something decent written/recorded at some point, but they can't all do it day in and day out, on demand, and consistently enough to maintain a career. Try getting gigs in a crowded music scene and you'll see just how competitive it can get, even for shitty bar gigs.

The people compose pop tunes can play their asses off, but their real talent is knowing when not to. I guarantee the guy who laid down the synths for Ke$ha's hits can riff like Chick Corea in his sleep, but he also has the good sense to know when a song only needs 3 diatonic triads.

If there's one thing I've learned in going from "cocky shit player" to "modest professional", it's not to assume the suckiness of anyone else you hear. They're on stage, they're on the radio, they're in the studio, and you're not. And there's a reason for that.

I work in a pro studio as a mixing engineer why are you falsely assuming things? Dude I know more about music than you'll ever know there's a book I forgot the name of the title, and the book Arthur, but even he states that no one gives a shit about your skill level playing music wise that's why a lot of talented artist are sitting on the back burner because of what sells I think you're over exaggerating. By the way who the hell wants to fight over playing a shitty bar gig?

Oh right shitty musicians playing gigs doesn't get you signed now a days A&R don't go to bars or clubs anymore they already find people who already have fan bases on Youtube. By the way I never stated anywhere in my posts that the guitarist that play on pop tracks aren't skilled. All I stated was that a lot of talented people are unsigned. All musicians are commodities they don't care about how skilled you are they just care about if your music can sell or not.

So how is the industry competitive? I can understand if you're a mixing engineer, but not if your musician there's a whole bunch of shitty musicians out there that are making millions from generic playing. There's no competition with these things it's all based on luck there's plenty of generic music out there that can be easily sold, but it's who's generic music gets picked which is factored on luck. Now a days people care about the image more than music Hip Hop is a good example of this I can go on, and on about this crap. No one cares if you're talented.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
More fun this way though.

My bad I was in rush, and didn't read it through properly I guess.
Quote by AETHERA
I think Devils just misread 'contacts' as 'contracts' and then proceeded. I also think this entire thread is subject to clarification on a number of its definitions, lest the entire thing be a bunch of relatively reasonable claimants mumbling past each other...

Agreed i'm going to stop posting this whole thread is a bunch of pointless crap.

Quote by Black_devils
I work in a pro studio as a mixing engineer why are you falsely assuming things? Dude I know more about music than you'll ever know there's a book I forgot the name of the title, and the book Arthur, but even he states that no one gives a shit about your skill level playing music wise that's why a lot of talented artist are sitting on the back burner because of what sells I think you're over exaggerating. By the way who the hell wants to fight over playing a shitty bar gig?

wow way to be a dick about it. Is this the attitude I should adopt to be more successful? Maybe I should tell people to **** off more often.

What studio do you work in? I'm always looking for gigs
Page 1 of 2