So I got my Strymon Brigadier delay pedal yesterday, and it's incredible, I love the flexibility of the sound with such detailed controls, and the sound itself is fantastic. Using the favorite switch is a great feature, but there's one pretty big problem..

In the same way that turning the delay time knob on an analogue delay pedal will increase/decrease the pitch of the repeats already being processed, the repeats change pitch while hitting the tap tempo switch!

This is obviously a total pain in the a** while playing live, when a drummer obviously speeds up slightly and you need to occasionally adjust your delay time.

I know the El Capistan cuts out your repeats entirely while the tap tempo switch is being used, but quite frankly having your pitch change while tapping in the tempo is a pretty awful design feature!!

Has anyone found the same problem, and is there a fix??
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
This is an unfortunate design flaw of the Brigadier which seems to be widely criticized. I haven't experienced any dislike for it myself, but then again, the drummer in my band is an effects-laden Alesis SR-16.

And idea that comes to mind is to first enable the Brigadier's Trails option*. When you need to change tempo, stomp on both the Bypass and Tap Tempo switches at the same time to disengage the pedal and simultaneously input the first of a new tempo command. The Trails option will keep the delay going. Next, stomp on both switches once more to re-engage the effect and simultaneously input the second tempo command, thereby creating a new tempo.

I'm unable to verify the legitimacy of this method right now as my amp is currently inoperable, but I'd say that it's worth a shot. Bypassing the pedal does not disable Tap Tempo capabilities, but I'd imagine that it will disable pitch modulation as the delay circuit isn't actually affecting your dry guitar signal, bar the Trails. If it fails, try using only the Tap Tempo button in between your turning off and on of the pedal.

I hope that my theory is accurate and helps you out. If not, I should have a buddy's amp to borrow tomorrow and will troubleshoot for a while.

* Unplug the power to your pedal. Plug in the power while holding down BYPASS. When the pedal powers on, let go of BYPASS. Repeat this process to go back into non-Trails mode - from the Strymon website

PS: Side-topic, but have you tried the momentary infinite repeats option allowed by holding down bypass? Post-rock heaven, right there. You've got a nice pedal on your hands/under your feet.
Last edited by juckfush at Jun 26, 2014,
Juckfush, that is a fantastic idea!

My new board is using a true bypass looper with the intention to help reduce my tap dancing (as well as improving sound) but I guess I can manage that! I turned the trails option on as soon as I got it. If two taps is all it takes to program in a new tempo then that method should be perfect!

I'll try it out this evening Thanks for the suggestion dude!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

No worries, makutoid. I'm glad to help out where I can, but I just hope that this idea works!

Like I said, I should be able to troubleshoot tomorrow if it fails to meet our expectations, but this is the only idea coming to mind at this point in time.
Quote by juckfush
No worries, makutoid. I'm glad to help out where I can, but I just hope that this idea works!

Like I said, I should be able to troubleshoot tomorrow if it fails to meet our expectations, but this is the only idea coming to mind at this point in time.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, I don't imagine the tap feature needs more than two taps to alter the tempo so it should be fine... Just gotta try it and see! Whoever gets there first

It's such a shame, fantastic pedal, just that one thing would be a total deal breaker if I can't get around it with your suggestion!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

----UPDATE----

It works!! I thought about it a bit more and realised that there are a few "secret" functions you can access by holding both bypass and tap switches, and thought that tapping the two together may just result in nothing happening if it thought you were trying to adjust these functions.. but nope, it works perfectly

I might make a demo for this on YouTube some time, maybe submit the idea to Strymon too?

Quote by juckfush
PS: Side-topic, but have you tried the momentary infinite repeats option allowed by holding down bypass? Post-rock heaven, right there. You've got a nice pedal on your hands/under your feet.

I haven't tried that option out myself, although I am aware of it.. I'm thinking that could be really sweet for pad effects.. I've got my "favorite" setting as a really long repeats and pretty loud delay for doing volume swells, so if I were to swell in a chord, hold the infinite repeats and then toggle the "favorite" off to go back to my normal delay I can effectively play over myself... That could be fun :P I did have an EHX Freeze sound retainer to do that a while ago but I sold it when building my new board.

AWESOME PEDAL
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Glad to know that it works! I may have to look into e-mailing Strymon customer support, since you've mentioned it. It could be a useful tid-bit to include in their FAQs.

The infinite repeats will stack in volume, so the feature's potential to work as a pad is somewhat limited; you'd need to release and re-apply the effect periodically to retain a relatively uniform volume and density. Personally, I use it for aggressive volume swells that a standard volume+delay pedal combo can't achieve. But hey, experiment! There are plenty of secrets to be uncovered in that little box.

Quote by juckfush
Glad to know that it works! I may have to look into e-mailing Strymon customer support, since you've mentioned it. It could be a useful tid-bit to include in their FAQs.

I did actually email them before posting on here, and I got a reply last night telling me that it's to do with the internal clock created within the pedal, that modulation will occur when the delay time is altered whether by tap or dial. They also basically said that if I want one that doesn't do that, to buy the Timeline.. I wouldn't exactly call that great service "You have a problem? Ah well we can fix that, if you spend twice the money"

I did also detail your suggestion and asked if they might put it in the FAQs section along with other things like how to enable delay trails. I also suggested that they forward onto the design team that they make this tap issue a removable feature that you can turn off via a sequence of switches and/or dials on start-up in the same way you can toggle trails on and off. We'll see what that comes to...

Quote by juckfush
The infinite repeats will stack in volume, so the feature's potential to work as a pad is somewhat limited; you'd need to release and re-apply the effect periodically to retain a relatively uniform volume and density. Personally, I use it for aggressive volume swells that a standard volume+delay pedal combo can't achieve. But hey, experiment! There are plenty of secrets to be uncovered in that little box.

Ah I've not experimented myself, didn't realise that the repeats stack! Damn, that could've been pretty cool otherwise. I'm having fun with it as it is anyway, loving the dotted eighth mode!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

I might have to swallow my words...

I've just been playing around with the Brigadier again, and it doesn't seem to work today :S Whether my ears were deceiving me yesterday or what I don't know, but when I tried going from really slow to really fast delay and it didn't seem to change. I then noticed when using my hand rather than foot so I could see the lights, the bypass light doesn't go off when you hit the two switches together, so I may have been right with my initial scepticism.

Just seems strange, I could've sworn it was working yesterday :S
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

Shit. Sorry about that, dude. I've just had an opportunity to try it myself at everyone-else-is-sleeping volumes, and it doesn't work.

If I were in your position, I'd do one of a few things.

For one, you can disable trails mode. In the event that you need to change the tempo, keep an ear out fir place in your performance in which you don't need delay. Bypass the pedal, re-tap, and pop it back in when appropriate. This may seem counter-intuitive or clumsy, and I agree. I also thing that it's beneficial to be aware of where you can interact with effects rather than using them as an always on/always off sort of deal.

Continuing with this option, you can create your own pseudo-delay with picking dynamics. Again there are concerns, but it can help you develop dynamic technique and arguably create timbral contrast within the piece. I've used this strategy in between changing between my Brigadier and Wampler delays.

I understand if each of these ideas are unappealing. Again, I'm legitimately sorry that there doesn't seem to be a solution. The most sound work-around is to have your drummer be more aware of the subtleties of your playing (and indeed, all band members to be aware of one-another's subtleties) so that you can each interact appropriately to create a great performance.

Anyway, I hope that this isn't a total deal-breaker for you, especially since many other delays have the same quirk. Work with what's there. or shell out for the Timeline.
It's no fault of yours! I can see that it's a solid attempt at a "true" recreation of an analogue delay, but damn it's a pain in the ass..

I tried just bypassing the pedal, tapping twice, and re-engaging the pedal but the tapping actually affects the trails even when the pedal is "off" :/

Oh well! I don't have the room or the money to go for a Timeline, and I would only use the analogue delay so it seems like it'd be wasted on me.

I'll just have to whip the drummer into shape I guess, or just be a lot more aware of when I can manage without the delay in order to adjust the tempo It's on a true bypass looper so I can easily cut it off when necessary.

Thanks for your help anyway mate, and hopefully Strymon will sort it out on an updated model some day!
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart