The type of screams that Maynard (lead singer of the band Tool) does:

exactly 6 minutes into the song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW0j0smt8fY

around 6:30, 'vicariously'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUGbu6Jcrmw

I realise this will take months(years) of practice, but how do I go about starting to learn this technique? I can't find any videos on it or anything, and when I attempt to do it I sound like a 13 year old throwing a hissy fit.

P.S. and anyone have an idea how he does that sort of 'raspy' voice throughout 'vicarious' and in the verse of the song 'lateralus' ?
Its actually very easy. It's a "fry scream" and I would say it is the easiest type of harsh vocals. I'm not an expert on this matter, but I think I could give you some tips on how I achieved it! and sorry for my english D:

1 - You should start with a "vocal fry" ; google it. Use this vocal fry & clean exrcises (scales etc) in order to warm up. NEVER scream without warming up!

2 - Use the diaphragm!

3 - Volume is important, you won't get a decent scream without volume.

4 - If your throat hurts, stop. It's normal if it hurts a bit, eventually the pain will disappear.

5 - practice, like everyday. the more practice the sooner you'll get to the desired point

Hope you find this useful. Good luck ;D
There is a giant screaming/growling thread at the top of this forum. Go there. But yeah, google vocal fry screaming and false cord screaming.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
There is a giant screaming/growling thread at the top of this forum. Go there. But yeah, google vocal fry screaming and false cord screaming.

Is that the same type of 'growling' or 'screaming' as what I'm referring to? I don't mean the type of death/black metal growling, but more Maynard-like 'growling' (if you can even call it that… it's more like vocal rasp) Sorry that's the only way I can describe it, but listen to Tool's Lateralus or the other vids I posted to hear what I mean

Quote by blackone666
Its actually very easy. It's a "fry scream" and I would say it is the easiest type of harsh vocals. I'm not an expert on this matter, but I think I could give you some tips on how I achieved it! and sorry for my english D:

1 - You should start with a "vocal fry" ; google it. Use this vocal fry & clean exrcises (scales etc) in order to warm up. NEVER scream without warming up!

2 - Use the diaphragm!

3 - Volume is important, you won't get a decent scream without volume.

4 - If your throat hurts, stop. It's normal if it hurts a bit, eventually the pain will disappear.

5 - practice, like everyday. the more practice the sooner you'll get to the desired point

Hope you find this useful. Good luck ;D

thank you, that helps
The growling thread can help you with what you are looking for.

To be honest, pure fry won't probably get you where you want. It's weak and full of misunderstandings in the teachings. Rasp is certainly a betterr approach. It's based off of vocal compression and soft pallete distortion. As in, you'll use your diaphragm to focus your vocal strength into hyper-vibrating your soft pallete.

Try this, keep a positive pressure in your chest. NOT in your throat. You need to have a relaxed neck, but you may have minor tension in your throat. Note that I didn't say constriction. This positive pressure in your chest will help balance flow of air and keep you from hurting yourself.

It is this positive reserve that you will use to create the distortion. Sing a note using this idea, and then attempt to add a rasp. Do so by aiming the air at the back upper part of your throat.

You shouldn't be using a lot of air, feel light-headed, get a headache or have pain in your throat. If you do, you didn't get it. But with time and proper practice, you most certainly will.
Last edited by merriman44 at Jul 1, 2014,