Hey,

I'm fuzzing around these days, and I decided I should get a fuzz tomorrow. However I live in a country where it's +30C in summer and - 30C in winter. I like the germanium fuzzs better (more fat), but how sensitive are those transistors?

Should I get silicon instead? My wallet would probably be happier too.

My options right now:

Used fulltone 69' MkII (germanium) - 119.00$
Used Jimi Hendrix mini fuzz face (silicon) - 75.00$
New germanium fuzz face - 145.00$
New silicon fuzz face mini - 110.00$ (I could probably get one used if I wait a bit)

Thanks y'all
you can always buy 2 of them... put 1 in the freezer while playing the other

actually it depends on the transistor's leakage. i guess some will be more prone to temperature changes.
+ from my understanding they can be biased (dont know if all of them can be though)
i recently bought a way huge germanium fuzz... so far i havnt had any problems regarding that issue. yesterday it was like 38c here so...
Last edited by VeilSide at Jun 26, 2014,
And yea apparently, my chain is getting complicated now with a Tuner (buffered) wah and fuzz...
It's a good idea!

But the 69' Fulltone has a bias pot no? This ''input'' knob?
Well, surely you won't be playing the fuzz pedals outside at either +30 or -30?

If you're playing indoors, temperature fluctuation shouldn't be much of a problem.

EDIT: Not many transistors are going to like -30, FWIW. I wouldn't be shocked to see a noticeable gain change/bias shift from any BJT based pedal at that cold. 30 C isn't a very harsh temperature.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Taz9
It's a good idea!

But the 69' Fulltone has a bias pot no? This ''input'' knob?

nope, that changes the input impedance. lowering it will let the fuzz work better with buffered pedals before it.
If you're playing indoors, temperature fluctuation shouldn't be much of a problem.

ok great! Makes sense.

you won't regret the analogman bro

Yea I'm sure, but I kinda have a crush on this red fuzz face...

The store lent me their Jimi Hendrix fuzz face for 4 days, so I can try it with my rig at home. (that's costumer service!) And for now I prefer:

Guitar - Fuzz - Tuner (buffered) - wah - Amp.

One thing I noticed though is that I have a 10' cable and a 20' cable and It seems the buffer act differently depending on wich cable I use first or last in chain. Anyway, thank you all!
Quote by NakedInTheRain
nope, that changes the input impedance. lowering it will let the fuzz work better with buffered pedals before it.

Yep. The bias label is a misnomer, because it doesn't do anything that even remotely resembles biasing.

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Well, surely you won't be playing the fuzz pedals outside at either +30 or -30?

EDIT: Not many transistors are going to like -30, FWIW. I wouldn't be shocked to see a noticeable gain change/bias shift from any BJT based pedal at that cold. 30 C isn't a very harsh temperature.

+1

There are also a number of germaniums I use that are perfectly happy with temperature fluctuations. Dave has a FF I built when it was about 40C here and it works just fine in NI with what Dave usually describes as around 15C.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Happy to hear it. I don't know why I thought it was such a big deal.
Quote by mmolteratx

+1

There are also a number of germaniums I use that are perfectly happy with temperature fluctuations. Dave has a FF I built when it was about 40C here and it works just fine in NI with what Dave usually describes as around 15C.

Yeah. I did have to bias it, though. Assuming I was using my multimeter correctly (which is a pretty big assumption ) it had drifted a fair bit since it got from you. That was around late winter/early spring, wasn't it? Probably not as hot as 15C then, probably more around 10C I imagine.

Just out of interest, how often do you need to bias the thing? If it still sounds ok can you pretty much assume it's fine? (I haven't touched it since I haven't actually played plugged in for a while since my guitar room is a mess and I need to clean/organise it ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah. I did have to bias it, though. Assuming I was using my multimeter correctly (which is a pretty big assumption ) it had drifted a fair bit since it got from you. That was around late winter/early spring, wasn't it? Probably not as hot as 15C then, probably more around 10C I imagine.

Just out of interest, how often do you need to bias the thing? If it still sounds ok can you pretty much assume it's fine? (I haven't touched it since I haven't actually played plugged in for a while since my guitar room is a mess and I need to clean/organise it ).

Yea, though a one time adjustment is pretty normal. Especially with a potentially 30C temp drop all at once. Most any germanium Fuzz Face should have an internal bias trimmer if not an external pot just for those situations. Dunlop's Fuzz Face included, though there's are hidden underneath the board so you've got to remove it to rebias. Dunno about the minis.

You shouldn't ever need to bias it if the temperature is as constant as you say it is over there. Really the only time would be if you wanted a different sound (ie, gating).

Though I'll be honest, I'm preferring silicon Fuzz Faces these days. Little more aggressive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jun 28, 2014,
Thanks

Yeah I mean the temperature isn't exactly constant here (I mean, you know when it's winter or summer), but I mean the average temp in the summer is high teens (celsius) whereas the average in the winter is high single figures (again, celsius). Obviously that's average, so it can fluctuate a bit more than that (plus that's the daytime temp, it's colder at night), but yeah.

Yeah it's a pain if you have to remove the whole board on those dunlops- yours would be easier on the outside, but at least it's only four screws so not too bad (plus if it's a one-time thing, it's not so bad).

Never actually got round to comparing yours to my mooer si fuzz face yet I must do that at some point. I'm not really sure which I prefer (yours is better, less noisy etc. and more range of tones, i mean the si versus ge thing). I imagine I could do just fine with either, assuming the rest of the pedal was built/designed well. You can sometimes worry too much about these things.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It may get that low in winter but is it ever actually that cold when you are using it? Surely you aren't playing outdoors in that weather. Maybe you should look into heating more than different substrates.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah that's a good point. I don't much like heat so I tend to keep the house on the cool side so it doesn't get stuffy etc., but yeah it'd be nowhere near as cold as outside, either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?