Page 1 of 2
So, I was recently outbid on the amp I want on Ebay the other day... Immediately afterwards I started looking for it again but then something came over me and I realized that there are hundreds of amps out there that I've never heard of. Actually the amp I want I guess is kind of a sleeper. I was looking at and Randall RG100ES and then while just poking around I discovered a Sovtek MIG 60 and was a little fascinated that Sovtek actually made amps! I decided I want to go exploring more in the world of amps.

Anyone have/used to have/tried an amp that generally doesn't get enough recognition that you think it warrants? Tell me your favorite sleeper amp!
The Sovteks are Marshall clone type things. They're a good thing.

The Peavey VTM is a great sleeper amp. Often overlooked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Check out Red Bear amps
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
How bout the Randall RM or Egnater MTS series? I didn't hear bout 'em til a few years after they stopped making them. Not that I'm an authority on amplifiers at all but I don't understand why everyone doesn't have one. As soon as I heard about the RM it was at the top of my gas list and stayed there til i got one (the one I wanted too! Though now I'd trade it for an RM22 head). Its more impressive than I had hoped and I've only begun with modules. When I mention it or show it off, people assume its a ss metal amp...til they hear the slippery, thick, glassy goodness.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jun 27, 2014,
Plenty of good amps out there have slipped under the radar.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Surprised more bedroom guitarists aren't buying these http://baroncustomamps.com/snott.php
If I didn't plan on gigging I'd love to own one, still may one day but really want a Toll Free Express, but seems I'll have to wait and hunt down a used one unless Craig will make one for a fellow Tennessean.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
I'm sure Craig will make one for you if you ask him. He hasn't stopped building amps, he's just abandoned it as a full time business.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm sure Craig will make one for you if you ask him. He hasn't stopped building amps, he's just abandoned it as a full time business.

I only saw the post where he said he was stopping as a business but would still be providing full warranty service and stuff for all amps he has already sold. Didn't think he would stop entirely but was concerned about whether he would still build one. Maybe just keep his current designs going.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Just ask, man. He's a nice guy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
He has helped me a lot in the past with some amp trouble, I'm not going to even bother him though until I actually have cash in hand and I'm looking for a good guitar or two first, my two are ok but nothing to brag about at all. Really wanting a nice carvin. Anyways back to sleeper amps

Carvin XT or XV amps. Brilliant cleans, and some marshal crunch. See them all the time for under $300 sometimes $200 bucks.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by MattBrockway
while just poking around I discovered a Sovtek MIG 60 and was a little fascinated that Sovtek actually made amps! I decided I want to go exploring more in the world of amps.

Sovtek doesn't make anything. They're just a branding company. They did make the MIG 60 (which was a pretty good amp, actually). As of 2012 Sovtek was used only as a brand name for vacuum tubes manufactured by the New Sensor Corporation.

There are a ton of small amp companies out there -- we see two or three new ones every year at the LA Amp Show (usually held around the first week in October). One that was touted pretty heavily in one of the guitar forums, a midwest company, turned out to have sold exactly 12 amps (one to a repeat customer). All of them were built from kits with very minor "modifications" and very nicely done cabinets. As far as I know, no longer in business.
Quote by Cathbard

There was a time a few years ago where Craig and I would exchange emails, simply guiding me to finding the tone I was after. He wasn't even talking about building me an amp. Just two guys, talking gear, and exchanging opinions. Talk about a great guy.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Ceriatone amps are very nice and very overlooked
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Laneys are (sort of) sleepers. The AOR is dirt cheap and sounds like a hot rodded JCM800. Cathbard will be around to tell you it's build like shit soon after I say this, which is true. The other option there is the GH or VH100.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheStig1214
Laneys are (sort of) sleepers. The AOR is dirt cheap and sounds like a hot rodded JCM800. Cathbard will be around to tell you it's build like shit soon after I say this, which is true. The other option there is the GH or VH100.
Correct
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Craig's a real good guy, he hooked me up with a pass to Summer NAMM last year . Got to meet him and talk gear for a little bit too. I wish I had jammed the Johnny Hiland signature amp more

Also, you beat me to the VTM mention . The Crate Blue Voodoo is a decent Marshally amp as well, but doesn't hold a candle to the VTM.

Ampeg Reverberockets are hella cool Fendery amps, although the market on them picked up recently. Silvertone had some cool tube amps in the 50's/60's, although the build quality on certain models would never pass modern guidelines

EDIT: We had a cool band stop by the bar last night from Nashville, called The Naked Lights I think. Their guitarists were using a Silvertone 1484 and 1482, bassist was using a Gibson Thor combo from the 60's, and the singer was using a telephone as a mic.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jun 28, 2014,
Obviously gonna recommend this company cause I own one but try to test out a Fryette.
Ibanez FR Prestige (BKP'd out)
Schecter Tempest Classic
Fryette Deliverance 120
Hughes and Kettner 412
Quote by TheStig1214

True fact. I had a GH-100 AOR head and that thing was an absolute monster. Playing it cranked was like having a pissed off lion roaring in your face.
Quote by TheJawsOfDeath
True fact. I had a GH-100 AOR head and that thing was an absolute monster. Playing it cranked was like having a pissed off lion roaring in your face.

No you didn't, there is a GH100 head and there is a Pro-tube AOR head, but no GH100 AOR

And to add to the Fryette, look at old VHT amps. Same amps, diff brand name
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I just recently purchased a Tech 21 trademark 10 off ebay for $150. I haven't received it yet but i am very interested to try it out! From what i've read its a pretty nice little analog solid state amp with a variety of voiceings. Will be a nice amp to have to play quietly with!
Current GEAR:
2014 LTD EC401
1991 Gibson Explorer
Digitech Whammy V
OCD/Timmy Clone
Wampler Triple Wreck Clone
Fuzzhugger AB-synth
Orange Crush 20RT
TC Alter Ego x4
I actually prefer my Laney AOR in terms of the distorted tones to my JCM 800!

Anyway, sleeper amps.

Peavey Windsor.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by tomsy49
I just recently purchased a Tech 21 trademark 10 off ebay for $150. I haven't received it yet but i am very interested to try it out! From what i've read its a pretty nice little analog solid state amp with a variety of voiceings. Will be a nice amp to have to play quietly with!
I've got a Trademark 30 and 60 in my jam space right now, definitely cool amps for being SS. I'm not real crazy about the 30, but the 60 definitely keeps up with what I've thrown at it and sounds pretty decent.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Fisheth24
I actually prefer my Laney AOR in terms of the distorted tones to my JCM 800!

Anyway, sleeper amps.

Peavey Windsor.
The AOR is a great sounding amp. Really, all you need to do to make them reliable is replace the tube sockets and (I think) the pots and jacks. If you really like it, it would be worth at least doing the tube sockets.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If I had the money to dump into the sockets I would have gotten an AOR. But I am happy with my VH100R (also just found out Bill from Mastodon use done of them before he switched to the JCM800 2203, fanboy mode activated). Agreed on the VTM and Reverbrocket. I'll also throw out the Ampeg VLs (another 800 soundalike). The Jet Citys are known to be Soldano clones but I still think they are sleepers.

Ultimate sleeper amp though is the Sunn Model T. Barely anyone knows what the hell it is but that thing will knock you flat with its uber bassy tone. I'd take a reissue over an original though.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
^I think the Model T is pretty well known, considering the insane price they sell for. Especially in comparison to every other Sunn amp
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Old Music man combos and pretty nice amps that don't seem to get much love
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Flux'D
^I think the Model T is pretty well known, considering the insane price they sell for. Especially in comparison to every other Sunn amp

Yeah it's well known but only in the sludge, stoner and doom circles. Usually when people think Sunn they think bass. I didn't even hear of the Model T until recently.

I guess it;s just the brand being lost amongst the Marshalls, Peaveys and Mesas out there.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
The reissues have a tendency to burn out the PCB at the power input. For the price of them, that's pretty unforgivable really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The reissues have a tendency to burn out the PCB at the power input. For the price of them, that's pretty unforgivable really.

I meant the old ones, I think they were from like the 70s, not sure, Ive only played one, good cleans, didn't get to play it much but thought they were some nice cleans. Don't know anything about their reliability though
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Who wouldn't like a Model T from the 70's? That's a given.

Well, unless you had a Concert Lead - that's the one I'd want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Who wouldn't like a Model T from the 70's? That's a given.

Well, unless you had a Concert Lead - that's the one I'd want.

I was talking about the Music mans not the Sunn
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Oh. Yeah, a HD130 would be pretty cool. I could pretend to be Joe Strummer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can't remember the model I played. Pretty sure it was a mid seventies 2x12 combo
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Actually, Joe used a HD 212 150.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Crate Palominos, their GT500H or VC120H and Kustom's tube offerings all offer solid performance at a reasonable price.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I played one of Kustom's tube amps with the plush covering or whatever. I wasn't too impressed, but that is the only one ive ever gotten to play. Which ones are you referring to
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by Arby911
Crate Palominos, their GT500H or VC120H and Kustom's tube offerings all offer solid performance at a reasonable price.

My cab is a Palomino with the amp taken out. Solid construction and heavy as all hell even with just the speakers. But I love the sound of it.
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by bluestratplayer
I played one of Kustom's tube amps with the plush covering or whatever. I wasn't too impressed, but that is the only one ive ever gotten to play. Which ones are you referring to

The "The Defender" series are solid (v30, v50 and v100) with the last 2 combos coming from the factory with Celestion V30's.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2