Save the Planet Guitar Topic 1 - enough guitars exist, stop building new ones!

I saw an article on guitar makers making their guitars from sustainable woods, or even from recycled plastics (in part -- Simon Lee yogurt special). And it got me thinking:

The best form of recycling is to keep using what you got, or let some one else use it. Why should anyone need to buy a new guitar? There are so many benefits to the used guitars:

- uniqueness
- character
- price
- saving the planet
- you might just find a diamond in the rough, some unrecognized gem in some dusty corner of a store
- there's something really cool about saving history, turn your home into a bit of a guitar museum

We don't really need to be chopping down trees and having workers in factors in third world countries throwing together mediocre instruments from mediocre woods that look flashy and have the right brand name. We can just stop and use what we've already got sitting in all the pawn shops and second hand guitar shops and such. Or look on Craigslist or Ebay or whatever, tons of used guitars. Why keep making more and more?

And all those people who are building new mediocre guitars could instead be building... habitats for humanity? Agroponic farms? Solar panels?

Like, if the world has scarce resources, shouldn't we be a bit more mindful as a global society as to how we allocate those resources? At a certain point, the planet has enough guitars to go around. How many guitars does a planet need?

Ken

p.s. I'd make an exception for some one who wants to make their own guitar, by hand, for themselves, cause that's just pretty cool. I guess I can see some reasons to make a guitar cause you want to learn how to make one, you want to make one for yourself, for a friend, to get a special tone....but that's like less than 1% of the guitars out there. I'm talking about the 99% of mediocre (or even pretty good) guitars that are being mass produced, but don't really do anything that can't be done by guitars made 30 years ago that you can find at garage sales or in a closet or whatever.

pps Maybe its an economics thing I just don't get. Seems non-sustainable, like termites on a log floating in the ocean... The short-sighted termites are having a ball, like they're on a pleasure cruise. Those who take the long view, see that they are going to eat the log all up one day and drown, become depressed nihilists, and chomp away figuring what the hell? We're all gonna die anyway! But then there are the third type that realize that if you plan out how you eat the log, you can carve it into a boat, carve out some oars, ration what's left, and give yourself a shot at making land.

Well, I guess the problem is termites just don't have the capacity to get that smart, to see the long view, to think outside of the box, and such. But people do.

Do termites eat guitars?
Bernie Sanders for President!
Quote by cha33 armstrong
No

Well hang on now lets give him a chance here

Maybe
BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

Uhm... if you stop building new guitars, this concept called 'supply and demand' will drive the cost of used ones up sharply.
So... no.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Uhm... if you stop building new guitars, this concept called 'supply and demand' will drive the cost of used ones up sharply.
So... no.

I don't think stopping production of guitars is the answer, or stopping production of any product. If we are to truly save the earth the concept of profit needs to change, hell maybe we should kill currency all together and elect a president of the world.
The answer is right there in the first line of the opening post. Why would we need to stop building guitars in order to protect the enviroment if the enviroment can be protected by making them from sustainable woods?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The answer is right there in the first line of the opening post. Why would we need to stop building guitars in order to protect the environment if the environment can be protected by making them from sustainable woods?

I think what he is trying to say is that us humans needs to stop being so wasteful because we are a growing population on a finite planet.

Instead of resources being spent on guitar/toy/clothes factory's we should rather go shopping in thrift stores and let those resources go to conserving the planet . I can agree here but It can not happen that way, if everyone just stops buying new things it will ruin the economy, there is no profit in saving the world and knowing our leaders/bankers they will hold on to their crumbling system until the money in peoples pockets is worth nothing.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
The answer is right there in the first line of the opening post. Why would we need to stop building guitars in order to protect the enviroment if the enviroment can be protected by making them from sustainable woods?

That would be ideal. However, it would take a while to develop forests of the appropriate trees to the point where they start making back the set-up cost, which may well put off investors.
the world has enough people in it too but we keep just making those too.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
this ****ing thread
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.