I recently got my hands of From Death To Destiny by Asking Alexandria and although I am impressed by it I can't get amped on the music like I did on their previous albums.

I would like to find out what you guys think about it. What do you like about this new style? What do you hate about it? Do you still listen to this band?
I don't think anyone on this subforum has ever been "amped" about anything this band has ever done.

Waste of space band for brain dead teenagers.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
I don't think anyone on this subforum has ever been "amped" about anything this band has ever done.

Waste of space band for brain dead teenagers.

Strange, considering your apparent taste I would have pegged you as a fan.
My love of Misery Signals, Shai Hulud and Converge pegs me as a generic Metalcore fan?

weird.

Not really trying to be a dick (well not too much) but this isn't really the right place for this kinda chat. Very few people take this band seriously on this board if any, I'm not sure I know anyone who'd have anything deeply interesting and positive to say about this band. There's not much to them.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
My love of Misery Signals, Shai Hulud and Converge pegs me as a generic Metalcore fan?

weird.

Honestly, the more I meet and play music with people who like these bands I've noticed a lot of crossover. Most people who enjoy Misery Signals or Counterparts tend to also love Asking Alexandria. It's sort of like how most people who enjoy Trivium and Killswitch Engage also enjoy Slayer and Cannibal Corpse.

This website is a nice little musical bubble, but it really warps people's perception of other's tastes.
Counterparts I can see, they're pretty popular in the melodic hardcore realm, which in the UK at least is the new cool thing to like, so all the ex-scene kids have moved on to stuff like them.

Misery Signals though, fuq I've only actually met one other person that's even heard of them.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Counterparts I can see, they're pretty popular in the melodic hardcore realm, which in the UK at least is the new cool thing to like, so all the ex-scene kids have moved on to stuff like them.

Misery Signals though, fuq I've only actually met one other person that's even heard of them.

Everyone I've met in the local scene/hardcore/metalcore/whatever scene knows of Misery Signals and has at least heard of Counterparts. The breakdowns, the pristine production, the lyrics, all of it is easy for people who enjoy Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria, The Devil Wears Prada, and all those sorts of bands to relate to.
I can see that with Mis Sigs lyrics. I still don't see them being stylistically the same or like of one correlating to like of the other, but I guess I can see the link.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Everyone I've met in the local scene/hardcore/metalcore/whatever scene knows of Misery Signals and has at least heard of Counterparts. The breakdowns, the pristine production, the lyrics, all of it is easy for people who enjoy Attack Attack, Asking Alexandria, The Devil Wears Prada, and all those sorts of bands to relate to.

Nice! new metal to listen to! I'm not massive AA fan but thought their change of sounds to something more "mature" may have warranted some discussion like when BMTH came out with Count your blessings and we were all like "Hell yea this is amazing!" Then they sacked the guitarist and started with the shit they are still currently doing. To this day I'm still disappointed about that...

Anyway thanks for the new music, I don't search for new music often coz their is so much tripe out there, I Just stick to the bands I know but Misery Signals is pretty awesome.
It's better than all their older stuff. Stand Up And Scream had airy as **** growls, way too many breakdowns, too much techno crap, and the lyrics were just a more indecent version of every glam metal band ever.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Most people who enjoy Misery Signals or Counterparts tend to also love Asking Alexandria.

That has definitely not been my experience.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
This website is a nice little musical bubble, but it really warps people's perception of other's tastes.

So does your personal experience. It's the equivalent of anecdotal evidence. Various factors such as your location and the people you hang out with tend to influence your idea about what music scenes are like everywhere, just like your impression of the progressive/"nu-metalcore" (god i hate that term but everyone on these forums uses it now and its easier than going into specifics) scene from this website would be different than if you exclusively went on the sevenstring forums, for instance.

EDIT: also lol at this thread
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
This thread is now about Snow Leopards. Please conduct yourselves accordingly.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
This thread is now about am and how I am the greatest.

(Invalid img)
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
Quote by technicolour
They can't even get attractive scene sluts on their album covers, c'mon.

I'd hit it
It's boringass shit for teenagers who haven't learned better yet. This is true of both their latest album and their old stuff.
I dno guys, I could be way off here but maybe you guys are just to old for this band and others like it.

Don't take me completely the wrong way, I realise a lot of the bands that are lumped together with AA really suck, I even realise that in a way AA sucks, You can't deny the fan count of some of the acts but in general their musicianship is not fully developed.

Thing is I have tried to listen to bands like periphery and meshuggah and I just don't like them, they don't suck by any means but they don't push the envelope either. I feel like this new wave of core that all the teens are listening to are doing more experiential shit, evolving and changing the way heavy music of today sounds.

Maybe that is why all the kids are listening to it, because it's on the cutting edge.. well that and the hair.
I was 16 when their first album came out. I was the target audience for it.

It sucked then, and the new stuff sucks just as much. It's simple music for young teens (mainly girls) to angst over, if you're making music that is too simple for even a 16 year old boy then I really think you can objectively say there are some quality issues.

And no, it's glam rock with fake edge added. It is no cutting edge, even slightly. Experimental shit? Please, what is experimental about ch0g riffs? You claim AA is experimental but not Meshuggah?

You are talking absolute nonsense.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jul 29, 2014,
ok agreed AA isn't the best band for this argument, I'd probably reference bands like I See Stars, Issues, Falling in Reverse. Yes they are emoish and angsty but so are teens and they eat this shit up.

Thing is these guys are genre mashing and taking influence from electronic and hip-hop. They get a lot of hate for it from "true" metal heads but they consumer market is eating it up and loving it. It makes the music accessible to such a large audience.

Like a said before I know Meshuggah doesn't suck but I had never head of them until someone said annoyingly "You know all these bands are influenced by periphery and meshuggah, you should rather listen to them because they are real metal"

They certainly innovate in their music but they don't really push the boundaries of their genre
> Adding Electronics and Rap Elements to heavy music in 2013/14
> "Pushing Boundaries of their genre"

You really need to do some research into the past of Hardcore and Metal.

I mean REALLY.

Also meshuggah perhaps aren't pushing the boundaries any more per say BECAUSE THEIR FIRST ALBUM IN THE EARLY 90's. You're saying I See Stars and Falling in Reverse are more innovative than them because they add electronic elements and rap vocals in 2014? Have you ever heard of nu metal? Enter Shikari? Fear Factory and the entire industrial metal scene?

Srsly bro. Just stop. You're obviously interested in these things but I think your passion outweighs your knowledge.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
^That's not what he was saying in that post.

Quote by Victorgeiger
ok agreed AA isn't the best band for this argument, I'd probably reference bands like I See Stars, Issues, Falling in Reverse. Yes they are emoish and angsty but so are teens and they eat this shit up.

Then Asking Alexandria are a perfect band to reference.

Thing is these guys are genre mashing and taking influence from electronic and hip-hop. They get a lot of hate for it from "true" metal heads but they consumer market is eating it up and loving it. It makes the music accessible to such a large audience.

This means that these bands are completely replaceable. It is also incredibly pointless in our generation to require "accessibility" to get into better acts. We have the internet where you can go, look up any type of music you want, and listen to it while reading it's, and the bands included in it, history. You want to learn about metalcore? You don't need Asking Alexandria or Killswitch Engage for that, you can just take an hour of your day immersing yourself in the history and sound

Like I said before I know Meshuggah doesn't suck but I had never heard of them until someone said annoyingly "You know all these bands are influenced by periphery and meshuggah, you should rather listen to them because they are real metal"

I'm going to say this once; neither of those are "real metal".

They certainly innovate in their music but they don't really push the boundaries of their genre

Sounds about right for every band mentioned thus far.
While I hate the phrase "real metal" I'm interested as to why you don't consider Meshuggah real metal.

And Morph there was an implication that the bands he mentioned DO innovate in the way he worded his dislike of Meshuggah.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Their material after Contradictions Collapse is built around hardcore and industrial ideas instead of metal ones and their later material is immensely androgynous towards genres.

I would sooner call Integrity and Catharsis metal before I would Meshuggah.

There was underlying connotations, I picked up on them in his other post and almost posted the same, but he seems like he clarified more that they're simply more accessible and that's 'bout it. If he comes in and argues that they're innovative then you're right, which I wouldn't be surprised of.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm excluding Contradictions Collapse and Destroy Erase Improve when it comes to Meshuggah albums. The former because it's just thrash and the latter because I've not heard much of that one. Chaosphere, Nothing, and ObZen are what I'm talking about.
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Jul 29, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
> Adding Electronics and Rap Elements to heavy music in 2013/14
Also meshuggah perhaps aren't pushing the boundaries any more per say BECAUSE THEIR FIRST ALBUM IN THE EARLY 90's. You're saying I See Stars and Falling in Reverse are more innovative than them because they add electronic elements and rap vocals in 2014? Have you ever heard of nu metal? Enter Shikari? Fear Factory and the entire industrial metal scene?

You are 100% right, adding rap and electro elements is nothing new, and no I am certainly not saying they are more innovative. These bands are totally replaceable and will be replaced by the next fad almost certainly. In fact I like these bands now (not so much the angsty lyrics) but will probably not be able to tolerate them in a few years if they even still exist.

Of coarse I know the industrial metal scene, I was a big fan around the time everyone else was, but personally I find I enjoy bands more when they are fresh, first 3 to 4 albums max and then I am done with them, there is a new generation of music out and I want to listen to that.

I thought about it and I think the defining factor is that there is something new in this music that has never been done before, and it has very little to do with the band. It is the way this music is mixed and mastered. It sounds fundamentally different from recordings done a decade ago, this shit is mixed like club tracks
Last edited by Victorgeiger at Jul 29, 2014,
Quote by Victorgeiger
You are 100% right, adding rap and electro elements is nothing new, and no I am certainly not saying they are more innovative. These bands are totally replaceable and will be replaced by the next fad almost certainly. In fact I like these bands now (not so much the angsty lyrics) but will probably not be able to tolerate them in a few years if they even still exist.

Of coarse I know the industrial metal scene, I was a big fan around the time everyone else was, but personally I find I enjoy bands more when they are fresh, first 3 to 4 albums max and then I am done with them, there is a new generation of music out and I want to listen to that.

SUCK IT, NICK!

I thought about it and I think the defining factor is that there is something new in this music that has never been done before, and it has very little to do with the band. It is the way this music is mixed and mastered. It sounds fundamentally different from recordings done a decade ago, this shit is mixed like club tracks

Well good lord. That has more to do with the producers don't cha think? Like the fact that every band made by Joey Sturgis has the exact same guitar tone, drum samples, and digital effects.
Haha yea, I think the bands have a say in it, and probably screw around in nexus on their own before hitting the studio. But since Joey Sturgis started his shit even albums he doesn't touch get sturgified xD
Asking is good And the band's also going good some of their songs are Beautiful .......Asking fine until and unless Bruce starts Screaming>>>>>>>>)))
I love how Danny has completely stopped giving a F*ck about anything except being a drugged up rockstar, so much hate xD It's hilarious.
He's a tool tho. Being a drugged up rock star is ****ing lame.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 11, 2014,
Well I'm sure he doesn't care what you are anyone else thinks is lame or not. That is the point. I comfortable enough with myself to admit that if I was that famous I would probably be exactly the same... at least for a couple years until it got boring or to much for my body to handle.

Yes their are big bands that take pride in themselves and their shows, they don't get wasted all the time and always put on a good show for the fans. I really respect those musicians.

On the other hand AA puts on crappy shows, are wasted all the time and generally don't give a F yet they are still hugely popular. I don't respect them as musicians per se but I still wouldn't want them to change, they are part of the diversity that is humanity and every time I see someone completely not giving a F I watch because I know it's going to be entertaining
Not giving a fuq is pretty much only cool to younger teens. To most everyone else it's a sign of being a complete waste of space.

There's "not giving a fuq" and then there's doing what you love and damn everyone else. Getting wasted all the time is an example of the first and is juvenile. Have artistic integrity is an example of the second.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Aug 12, 2014,
AA were at there best in 2009 then they went downhill as did BMTH when Oli lost his voice and OM&M when they changed Vocalist or Our Last Night when they grew up just certain things effect bands massively and not a lot of people get on with Change i got From Death to Destiny and was surprised but not as good as R&R or Stand Up And Scream but thats just my opinion.
Quote by Sam_Guitarist
AA were at there best in 2009 then they went downhill as did BMTH when Oli lost his voice and OM&M when they changed Vocalist or Our Last Night when they grew up just certain things effect bands massively and not a lot of people get on with Change i got From Death to Destiny and was surprised but not as good as R&R or Stand Up And Scream but thats just my opinion.

I think the word "best" should be clarified here. "Best" implies there was a point where AA were actually good or even decent. In this case, though, "best" actually means slightly less shitty.