So Im wondering about Potentially Really downtunning, and i mean REALLY downtunning an 8 string.

I have A love for the Standard/Drop A tunning used by "The Saftey Fire" (A A D G B E)

But im thinking of applying the same idea to an 8 string, The reason being I would like to be using my 7string but I dont want to loose the A A Octaves.

So my question is what do people think of Tunning an 8 string to (A A E A D G B E)?

Obviously That would drop my octaved strings down a whole note but I think it's a nice combination os tunnings, with only a slight alterations I can get The A A octave, Drop A, Standard, Drop B/B standard in 1, and Drop D) and probably more.

What are peoples thoughts?
I've used the drop A you're currently using quite a bit and enjoy it. But going as low as you're talking about would require some serious heavy strings and some seriously modded guitars. I'm guessing your string gauges would be about 10-100 and that's very rare. You would most liekly need to carve the nut out a good deal.

This would need to be set up by a professional for sure, but it could be done. No idea how it would sound
Israel is a terrorist state.
You’d probably need a custom instrument to pull this off. Something with a 28.5" scale, a custom bridge that could take a bass string for the low A, and a bass tuning machine for the low A. You’d probably be better off experimenting with an octave pedal.
I would say that at that point even I question tuning down that far; that is the same note as the low A on a drop-tuned 5 string bass and I really don't think you're going to get much sonic interest out of that tone on a guitar.

That said... don't let anyone else stop you, if you can get the guitar set up for it then why not try it and see what happens, it might be awesome for all I know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I would say that at that point even I question tuning down that far; that is the same note as the low A on a drop-tuned 5 string bass and I really don't think you're going to get much sonic interest out of that tone on a guitar.

That’s a good point. The low string on a five-string bass isn’t often used to hit the really low notes. It’s mostly there to make it possible to hit notes that would be low on the fourth string while playing higher up the neck.
It wont work. The guitar will just be awful to play. As stated above you would really need a totally custom built instrument to do this.
RG's & Mesa's
Also, I have no idea why no one (including me) thought of this, but you'll blow any amp you play through with that setup. Guitar amps are not able to handle bass frequencies, and this is even lower than that. I'd give it less that five minutes before the cones are ruined.
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by Xarya13
So Im wondering about Potentially Really downtunning, and i mean REALLY downtunning an 8 string.

It's "tuning" not "tunning."

At some point, you simply run out of sonic territory. You're not getting "heavier" -- you're becoming subsonic and inaudible. You're not able to actually hear the lower fundamentals; you're now hearing higher harmonics. You run out of speaker, cabinet and amplifier power. You end up producing some kind of low-end audio oatmeal with only a lot of buzzy harmonics to indicate that you're even playing. Sonic flatulence.

Best suggestion, if you really insist on dialing things down, is that you become acquainted with the physics of sound and the frequencies you're dealing with. Go to a good bass forum, like TalkBass.com, and propose this to them, and see what you get back.

Most guitar amps fall off rapidly below about 110Hz; and it's worth noting that the low E on a standard 6-string is already down at 82 Hz. The octave-down E is 41Hz, and that's the bottom string on a 4-string bass. Many bass players, including those running 1500W (and up) amps, are using an HPF _High Pass Filter_ to cut off frequencies below about 35Hz because they're largely inaudible and they require huge amounts of power to reproduce.

You can tune your 8-string anywhere you like, but if you're running some 30W open back combo amp with it, you're mindlessly wanking. You'll have more audible success if you just stand around and TELL people how low you're tuned, than you will actually playing anything. It's subwoofer time.

Just My Humble Opinion, of course, but you can get the facts you need to make the decision on a bass forum.
Last edited by dspellman at Jun 29, 2014,