Hi, I'm building a guitar and I'm from the UK. I'd like to paint my guitar similar in colour to this http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page14.php?year=2014&area_id=3&cat_id=1&series_id=3&data_id=73&color=CL01
so dark blue with a lighter blue inside. Can you please give me links to British suppliers (or anywhere as long as p+p is minimal) for paint I can use on guitar. I'd like to use spray cans if possible.

Secondly can someone walk me through exactly how to finish a guitar, well actually I've heard you put some kind of primer on the wood before you paint, then paint, then clear, then laquer. Probably not exactly right, so please correct and give me links to these things (again british suppliers if possible unless p+p is cheap ish)

One last thing, I want to spend about £20 on all of this if possible, so cheap but alright suggestions.

Thank you very much
Clear and lacquer are the same thing.

It's been quite a while since I've painted a guitar, but I used to use krylon paint and rustoleum polyurethane lacquer. I don't remember if I used krylon or rustoleum primer. The quality of the paint makes a huge difference. It's a lot of work, but getting professional results with rattle cans is possible.

If the wood is overly porous you'll have to applyba coat of sealer first, then start painting (foregoing the primer altogether). Here's a thread where I described the process in more detail.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1633058

Hope it helps...

Edit: didnt notice the link before...that info can get you going, but doing transparent finishes and bursts is totally different. They use stains instead of paint. I can't help you with any of that.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Jun 27, 2014,
Okay that's fine but its mainly just those colours rather than the stain design. And Il check out the link you said , very useful so far thouggh!
Those colours are not possible with paint. What you see is a mixing of two different colours of transparent lacquer. To make the grain pop they stain the wood but as you said it only the colours you are after you could probably get it to work without stain. The only place I know of that sells spray cans of blue and green (those are the colours you will need) transparent lacquer is stewmac and it's both expensive and it's explosive so I don't even think it's legal to ship in to the UK. At the very least you would have to have them ship it to somebody in the USA that is willing to reship to you using a method other than USPS. It would be cheaper to order cellulose lacquer, wood dye, a small air compressor, and spray gun from axminster than it would be to import the lacquer you would need.

In other words, you are over reaching. You can do nice transparent finishes with nice colours by dyeing wood and mixing coloured shellac for undercoates and then using a transparent, high quality, car enamel but it's not going to give you what you want. It can, however, give you a great looking guitar finish at a reasonable price without the need of special equipment.
Not taking any online orders.
Hmm okay I may go down that route then, so yeah what's the basics of staining etc. Like what products because I think you use that dye stuff than sand it down then do it again then you put the lacquer over it. Is that right or all completely wrong? Also if I do stain the front and probably headstock as well what should I do with the back and sides of the guitar?
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Jun 27, 2014,
Wood dying/staining would be the best bet. Get a really dark blue going, stain it with that. Sand it down so just the grain is dyed. Dilute the dye a bit and do the edges and sides. Then dilute again and do the middle of the front and back. It will take a whole day or two to do, but that will be the easy part. If you want a nice glossy finish you will need to nitro it. That will take weeks.

I'd recommend contacting Bill at ReRanch. If he doesn't have exactly what you need he can point you in the right direction.

http://www.reranch.com/
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
with bursts like that usually they will do the light stain they clearcoat it then tint the clear with a dark blue and spray the edges

By doing a dark colour then sanding then doing a light colour does give more depth to the figure but it is a hell of a lot of work sanding wise

as far as dye goes these are great (the blue is really blue compared to that photo)
http://www.briwax.co.uk/products/hydrocotedyes.html

water down the dye at least 50/50 to get the light colour then add it neat to the clear to tint
Hmm , using the tinted spray cans is probably a good idea, but I found somewhere this guy who just uses dye to get the blue effect then just clear coats that. It looks really good and I'll try to find the link later, but I was just wondering is Lacquer an oil?
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
g is Lacquer an oil?

no, if you want to oil the finish then tru oil is the way to go
Oh okay well I've already bought lacquer for the body and neck, but can/ should I use lacquer for the fretboard. I'm using a Pau Ferro wood fretboard, but i wanna know if this is the way to go to preserve the wood etc
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
but can/ should I use lacquer for the fretboard. I'm using a Pau Ferro wood fretboard, but i wanna know if this is the way to go to preserve the wood etc

you can but I wouldn't, its similar to rosewood so doesn't need a finish
Won't it get marks if you play it a lot though, like my strat I've had for years has a maple neck but there's a few spots were its worn and started to darken.Or do you think i should get some oil and oil it instead?
Last edited by EpicGuitarGuy13 at Jun 30, 2014,
Quote by EpicGuitarGuy13
Won't it get marks if you play it a lot though, like my strat I've had for years has a maple neck but there's a few spots were its worn and started to darken.Or do you think i should get some oil and oil it instead?

again you don't need to but depending on how light the wood is the oils in you skin will darken it in the patches you play the most. Lemon oil is a very good option to treat the wood with to help stop that