My grandma is giving me this guitar, it was her brothers. It's a Gretsch and was purchased at least 50 years ago. It looks like a 6134 White Penguin but it only has one switch. I don't know much about classic guitars and was hoping someone on here with a little more knowledge could help me out. Thanks!
The control layout seems correct for the White Penguin. AFAIK, it was on occasion made with a single toggle switch. If it is the real deal, you have one of the rarest electric guitars in the world, and you must have it appraised by someone who knows what they are doing. Give Gruhn Guitars a call. They are good people, and they are a recognized leader in the business:

Gruhn Guitars: (615) 256-2033

Best of luck! You may have hit the jackpot of all time!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
For the most useful response, take a closeup of the front and back of the headstock and the bridge. Include a serial # if any.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I unfortunately don't have the guitar yet, my dad is bringing it up from North Carolina in 2 weeks, I'll defiantly take more pictures and post them when I get it though
Quote by FatalGear41
The control layout seems correct for the White Penguin. AFAIK, it was on occasion made with a single toggle switch. If it is the real deal, you have one of the rarest electric guitars in the world, and you must have it appraised by someone who knows what they are doing. Give Gruhn Guitars a call. They are good people, and they are a recognized leader in the business:

Gruhn Guitars: (615) 256-2033

Best of luck! You may have hit the jackpot of all time!

Thanks FatalGear41, as soon as I get this I'll give them a call I'll keep this thread posted with what I find out
This might make your day:

Tell Dad that is an old guitar and kinda fragile so pack carefully please and don't break it on the way home.

Might need to have a little chat with Auntie about your findings.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jun 27, 2014,
Quote by kadeemhunt
Thanks FatalGear41, as soon as I get this I'll give them a call I'll keep this thread posted with what I find out

Glad to be of help! I really hope you hit the jackpot with that one. If you have, you can expect to receive calls from some of the biggest names in the guitar-playing world. There are collectors and pros who would give five years of their lives to own an original White Penguin. I know Jack White of the White Stripes has fallen in love with his, and a pristine White Penguin was the pride of The Who bassist John Entwistle's legendary collection. I have seen only one in my life - many years ago, and the selling price would have made your head explode - let's just say it was six figures left of the decimal point!

If it has the original case, that is a real plus!

You can definitely trust whatever the guys at Gruhn Guitars tell you. They are a big-time name in the collectible guitar world, and everyone I have referred to them has told me they were amazingly helpful. And no, I don't get a referral fee. I just trust and respect them. If that guitar is the real deal, I will bet that they can even help you sell it, if you want. They know collectors with some serious bucks to spend.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley