Alright so just to throw this out here now, I realize many have issues against the blue voodoo and crate in general. I would ask that you only post if you have something helpful to say, I dont really need to hear about how the inexpensive pedals I am using and the head are garbage or anything.

That being said, I finally got my hands on a Crate Blue Voodoo 120H (the original version) and I am way stoked about it. I am new to pedal boards and pedals in general so my questions are how I can order my pedals and knobs to get a good, thick, clear death metal tone, without losing the blue voodoo distortion.

Currently my pedals go into the effects loop in this order:
- Fender tuner pedal
- Behringer vintage tube overdrive
- Behringer noise gate
- Mod Core effects pedal (has 8 different effects like chorus and flanger etc)
- Fish and chips EQ

I just added the vintage tube overdrive, and while it does what I was hoping it would do (increase clarity and give it some thicker sound) It takes away nearly all the intense crate distortion that I really like, and it feeds back really bad even at low volumes if I stop playing at all.

I am just wondering what kind of order/ settings, tricks, even new pedal (I'm pretty broke atm so keep that in mind) that could help me get the best tone and clarity for some gnarly death metal with this set up. While I do love death and black metal, I am not really in to the sludge noise, love the distortion but I like to be able to hear and make out what I am playing.

THanks for the help! If anyone wants pictures I could try and figure that out if that would help figuring out the issue

Hailsa!
\m/
are you using the behringer tube od as a boost? i.e. level high and drive/gain low?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If yiu put the od infront of the amp it should give it the kick in the pants your looking for, this should be your chain guitar>tuner>amp> modulation>eq>gate.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
If yiu put the od infront of the amp it should give it the kick in the pants your looking for, this should be your chain guitar>tuner>amp> modulation>eq>gate.

Agreed. Tuner and OD in front. EQ and gate in the loop.
Right on! thanks for the replies everyone I was not using it as a boost (the OD pedal) but I will try putting the tuner and OD in front and the EQ, Modulation and Gate in the loop and I will post results! maybe a video if it works super well
Quote by Epyon369
I would ask that you only post if you have something helpful to say, I dont really need to hear about how the inexpensive pedals I am using and the head are garbage or anything.

don't worry dude, your pedals might be cheap but at least they're building blocks to a good tone, i.e. tubescreamer and eq. we'd only really give you shit if you posted saying 'halp i need epic toanz from my behringer ultra distortion'.
well sweet! it seems to be working pretty well! thanks for the help everyone! my only other question is if the tube screamer should be doing a little more. the difference is definitely there but it seems to not change much when I mess with the knobs on it. Still overall I am happy with what it is doing, just wondering if there is a sweet spot or something to really get the most out of it
yeah it won't do that much. it'll just saturate things a bit more, tighten up the low end and make pinch harmonics jump out a bit better etc.

I guess there probably is a sweet spot where you'd notice it more, if the amp is set just below saturation and the tubescreamer kicks it over the edge. but other than that... yeah it's an improvement but a fairly subtle one.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?