Page 1 of 2
To all the electric guitarists out there I want to find out what one feature you cannot go without on your electric guitar.

If you could only own one guitar and you could only choose one of the features on the guitar what would that feature be.

For me without a doubt the special feature would be a Floyd Rose double locking tremolo.

What couldn't you live without?
Last edited by Victorgeiger at Jun 28, 2014,
Strings.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If I could have only one electric guitar, I would demand a beautiful, jet-black ebony fretboard. The best I have ever seen were those on the high-end Yamaha electric guitars of the late 1970s: the SBG2000 and SBG3000, and the semi-hollow SA2000. Those fretboards looked and felt like the finest polished black marble in the world. Too bad they don't offer such fretboards anymore.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Cajundaddy
Strings.

Nah, I think they're a distraction and tend to suck tone, I just poke at the pickups with a screwdriver; much purer sound!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I must have active pickups cause i dosent sound br00talz enough with passive's.

No.

I cant stand lighter guage than 10's also i like a medium/high action.
My newest guitar has a tuner mounted on the side of the bridge hb ring, I love it! Going the other way, it also has a useless usb jack that I'll probably remove in the near future.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
frets
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just the bare necessities - As long as it has a bridge pickup with some "balls", and volume and tone controls, I'd be happy to play an entire gig with it.

For recording, I want a little more - say, more than one pickup
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Good playability. If that counts as a 'feature'
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
'Lectricity, dude! Just sayin'.
I am a StarGeezer: some call me..."Tim."*

* - Heartfelt apologies to Monty Python for blatant plagiarism. Those responsible have been sacked.

Epiphone G-400 "Goth"
Peavey Vypyr 75 Amp
22 frets or more
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Quote by KingChris90
Damn. This. I hate when a guitar has 21 frets.

Looking at you MIM Fender... 21 just ain't enough for me.
Hell, the sole reason I have a 24 frets neck is that the 22nd is more accessible.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
Strap Buttons. A buddy of mine has an old shitty guitar with them broken off, so he just screwed in a nail with a wide head, suffice to say its not fun to use. Just buy the piece, it cant be that expensive
Quote by teleobrien
Strap Buttons. A buddy of mine has an old shitty guitar with them broken off, so he just screwed in a nail with a wide head, suffice to say its not fun to use. Just buy the piece, it cant be that expensive

Use duct tape.
Strap lock or a good strap button which doesn't let the strap loosen up.

I tend to get a little hyperactive on stage and move the guitar all around and it's beyond annoying on my older guitars where the strap comes loose every time I lift the guitar a little into the air.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
splitting coils
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Pickups that have a lot of character with a clean or mildly distorted sound. Don't want none of those heavy metal things - they're the devil's doing
Quote by gtc83
Pickups that have a lot of character with a clean or mildly distorted sound. Don't want none of those heavy metal things - they're the devil's doing

Your soul will burn in a lake of fire
Gear:
Quote by EyeballPaul
A nice setup is number one for me i think.

This one's a dealbreaker for me because it means I have no reason to work on the guitar and less reasons to bond with it. Except of course, I always raise the action to acoustic heights no matter the guitar I have.
Gear:
Quote by EyeballPaul
A nice setup is number one for me i think.

This. A bad setup will make an expensive guitar play and sound like crap.
It killz teh guitar.
my amp.

Quote by FatalGear41

find the sob that put those actives in there and kill them with fire.
Quote by FatalGear41
If I could have only one electric guitar, I would demand a beautiful, jet-black ebony fretboard. The best I have ever seen were those on the high-end Yamaha electric guitars of the late 1970s: the SBG2000 and SBG3000, and the semi-hollow SA2000. Those fretboards looked and felt like the finest polished black marble in the world. Too bad they don't offer such fretboards anymore.

Ahh I wish I could have experienced that. My first ebony fret board has been a godsend. I am still in awe at the different between it and my old rosewood. It is like playing on diamond encrusted butter

Quote by Jeffh40
A bridge pickup. Humbucker strongly preferred.

I feel you there, my beautiful Floyd Rose would lose its lustre without a beefy humbucker!

Oh while on the subject check out this really cool interactive video I found today that seymour duncan released, If you go through to the metal section you can hear the character of their metal pickups. The Dimebucker is certainly my favourite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSZMt0BqxQ4
Last edited by Victorgeiger at Jun 28, 2014,
9-42's, medium SS frets and an ibanez RG body and neck

Actually in all seriousness one feature that I really like is a mat finished body, or very worn out paint, i hate the grippiness of the paint on new guitars.
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Jun 29, 2014,
Quote by Victorgeiger
To all the electric guitarists out there I want to find out what one feature you cannot go without on your electric guitar.

If you could only own one guitar and you could only choose one of the features on the guitar what would that feature be.

For me without a doubt the special feature would be a Floyd Rose double locking tremolo.

What couldn't you live without?
I'll take any kind of whammy, it doesn't have to be a double-locker. I have everything from a Bigsby, to a Wilkinson, to a Floyd. But any guitar I play has to have a whammy of some sort.
the lowest string action possible but not as low as to cause string buzz. But not higher than where it doesn't. I love the ease of playing.
That by itself requires a good setup, usually when the guitar comes from the shop, that's the first thing I ask for. So that's my vote.
A locking Floyd-style trem.
I also like my guitars not set up. Nothing beats spending time with a new instrument and getting to know it inside out.

Also, really low action. Low, as in it will buzz if you hit the string slightly too hard. It helps me with all the Yngwie style licks that need extremely precise movements to play correctly.
Quote by darrenram1
A locking Floyd-style trem.
I also like my guitars not set up. Nothing beats spending time with a new instrument and getting to know it inside out.

Also, really low action. Low, as in it will buzz if you hit the string slightly too hard. It helps me with all the Yngwie style licks that need extremely precise movements to play correctly.

We see eye to eye except the last part. IME, the Yngwie licks are more easily played with medium to high action-- anywhere from 1.6 to 2.5mm 12th fret. Muting is easier and vibrato is more controllable
Gear:
Page 1 of 2