Hey everyone. I auditioned for and was selected to be a guitarist in the US Army Band program, and I enlisted yesterday. The songs I auditioned with were

1. National Anthem (patriotic, got it out of the way first thing)
2. Canon Rock - JerryC (Rock, Classical, Shred)
3. On Impulse - Animals as Leaders (Jazz, Metal, Fusion)
4. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen/Sunghua Jung (Pop/Rock)
5. Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 - Pink Floyd (Bluesy rock)

With Canon Rock and On Impulse being the most impressive pieces.

When I was finished with the audition and the band liaison informed me that she was going to recommend me to be chosen to the board, she gave me some advice for the audition I will have when entering the Armed Forces School of Music:
1. Ditch the bubblegum pop Call Me Maybe - it was funny, don't do it again.
2. Animals as Leaders was cheating with jazz. Keep it in your list, but choose another more traditional jazz piece.

So, immediately, I thought - OK. Greg Howe - Jump Start. I do best with Guitar Pro, so I tried to find a complete and accurate Guitar Pro transcription and eventually I said forget it, I bought the tab book, and I'm putting it into Guitar Pro myself. (I'm making a few minor changes to avoid copyright before sharing it here)

I'm about halfway done with the tab, and honestly, I don't know if I can do this. It is possible that I don't play the whole song, and I have 3 months before going to basic training, but I'm doubting myself.

SO, my question is - while I'm going to continue working on Jump Start, I'd like a backup song that sounds good, can showcase my talents, will impress, and is SIMILAR to Jump Start. I don't want to play some boring song that they've heard a thousand times.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys
Quote by bslbryan
Hey everyone. I auditioned for and was selected to be a guitarist in the US Army Band program, and I enlisted yesterday. The songs I auditioned with were

1. National Anthem (patriotic, got it out of the way first thing)
2. Canon Rock - JerryC (Rock, Classical, Shred)
3. On Impulse - Animals as Leaders (Jazz, Metal, Fusion)
4. Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen/Sunghua Jung (Pop/Rock)
5. Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2 - Pink Floyd (Bluesy rock)

With Canon Rock and On Impulse being the most impressive pieces.

When I was finished with the audition and the band liaison informed me that she was going to recommend me to be chosen to the board, she gave me some advice for the audition I will have when entering the Armed Forces School of Music:
1. Ditch the bubblegum pop Call Me Maybe - it was funny, don't do it again.
2. Animals as Leaders was cheating with jazz. Keep it in your list, but choose another more traditional jazz piece.

So, immediately, I thought - OK. Greg Howe - Jump Start. I do best with Guitar Pro, so I tried to find a complete and accurate Guitar Pro transcription and eventually I said forget it, I bought the tab book, and I'm putting it into Guitar Pro myself. (I'm making a few minor changes to avoid copyright before sharing it here)

I'm about halfway done with the tab, and honestly, I don't know if I can do this. It is possible that I don't play the whole song, and I have 3 months before going to basic training, but I'm doubting myself.

SO, my question is - while I'm going to continue working on Jump Start, I'd like a backup song that sounds good, can showcase my talents, will impress, and is SIMILAR to Jump Start. I don't want to play some boring song that they've heard a thousand times.

Any suggestions? Thanks guys

Not to be that guy, but Greg Howe is "cheating" with jazz aswell. If they asked for a traditional jazz piece, they are not looking for fusion jazz like Howe, Govan or anything like that. If they asked for a traditional jazz piece they are most likely thinking swing or bebop from the 30s-50s, which would be more in the vein of players like Joe Pass, Pat Martino, John Abercrombie, Pat Metheny, Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery. That is jazz, that is traditional jazz.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
That's sort of what I was thinking, too, though I know next to nothing about jazz
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sickz
Not to be that guy, but Greg Howe is "cheating" with jazz aswell. If they asked for a traditional jazz piece, they are not looking for fusion jazz like Howe, Govan or anything like that. If they asked for a traditional jazz piece they are most likely thinking swing or bebop from the 30s-50s, which would be more in the vein of players like Joe Pass, Pat Martino, John Abercrombie, Pat Metheny, Jim Hall or Wes Montgomery. That is jazz, that is traditional jazz.

Thanks. You're a jazz cat then, can you give me a short list of songs to listen to as potential candidates? Again, I don't want to play something boring or extremely common. Google isn't much help.
Look for chord melody arrangements of jazz standards on youtube. Jason Viaux has a nice version of "In A Sentimental Mood" for example. I'd also recommend Tommy Emmanuel, Joe Pass and Martin Taylor. Mr. Taylor has a nice version of "Stompin at the Savoy" that isn't difficult.
An uptempo workover of 'Nardis' by Miles Davis / Bill Evans would fit okay, I'd imagine. It's a solid jazz piece but not one that receives much visiting from the guitar, as far as I know. Changes are mostly seventh chords, so it's not too much esoterica to keep track of if you're just gunning an improv. Whatever sort of standard you do though, at least start with the head :3

Good luck.~
You might could use some double modals.
Choose any jazz standard you like and learn it, Some good ones i personally love are; Cherokee, Misty, Stardust, Georgia On My Mind, When it's Sleepy time down South, All Of Me, After You've Gone and Night And Day.
Maybe if I arrange the piano from Nardis to guitar... I want to really shred, though. I want to showcase something spectacular. Go listen to Jump Start if you haven't and you'll see why that's my number one choice. I don't just want to play jazz chords. Also, Ignore, I'm loving Cherokee. Again, have to transcribe the wind solo to guitar. I'm looking for something that will knock their socks off!

EDIT: Maybe Bill Evans's Interplay?
Last edited by bslbryan at Jun 28, 2014,
If you want uptempo jazz for guitar i have a few suggestions on top of my head.

"My Kind Of Bebop" by Andreas Öberg, "On The Stars" by Pat Martino, "Oleo" by Joe Pass. You could also take a recording of "Donna Lee" by Charlie Parker and learn the saxophone parts on guitar.

There are too many versions of jazz tunes for me to be able to say "this song is fast and will "impress" them". You can have a standard such as Autumn Leaves played as ballad, a mid tempo swing tune, a crazy bebop tune or even a fusion tune, it all depends which player you listen to. The best i can do is recommend you a list of great jazz players and you can look up the different versions yourself, cause i dont look for tunes by tempo or technical ability when i study jazz.

The traditional players that i recommend you to check out are:

Joe Pass, Jody Fisher, Lenny Breau, Barney Kessel, Andreas Öberg, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Grant Green, Joe Henderson, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Aaron Koppel, Adam Rogers, Adrian Ingram, Alessio Menconi, Andrea Massaria, Anthony Wilson, Avi Rothbard, Hal Gaylor, Bobby Broom, Bruce Forman, Christoph Oeding, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Joe Beck, Erik Söderlind, Larry Koonse, Pat Kelley, Chet Baker, Jimmy Bruno and George Van Eps.

Many of them are guitarists, but some of them are pianists and saxophonists. It's more common among jazz musicians to have the view that nothing is exclusive, we steal from all instruments. So i often find myself stealing from saxophone players.

I hope that helps you in your search, atleast now you have a good basis of traditional jazz musicians.

Best Regards,
Sickz

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
Quote by Sickz
If you want uptempo jazz for guitar i have a few suggestions on top of my head.

"My Kind Of Bebop" by Andreas Öberg, "On The Stars" by Pat Martino, "Oleo" by Joe Pass. You could also take a recording of "Donna Lee" by Charlie Parker and learn the saxophone parts on guitar.

There are too many versions of jazz tunes for me to be able to say "this song is fast and will "impress" them". You can have a standard such as Autumn Leaves played as ballad, a mid tempo swing tune, a crazy bebop tune or even a fusion tune, it all depends which player you listen to. The best i can do is recommend you a list of great jazz players and you can look up the different versions yourself, cause i dont look for tunes by tempo or technical ability when i study jazz.

The traditional players that i recommend you to check out are:

Joe Pass, Jody Fisher, Lenny Breau, Barney Kessel, Andreas Öberg, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Grant Green, Joe Henderson, Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Pat Metheny, Dave Brubeck, Bill Evans, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Aaron Koppel, Adam Rogers, Adrian Ingram, Alessio Menconi, Andrea Massaria, Anthony Wilson, Avi Rothbard, Hal Gaylor, Bobby Broom, Bruce Forman, Christoph Oeding, Kurt Rosenwinkel, Joe Beck, Erik Söderlind, Larry Koonse, Pat Kelley, Chet Baker, Jimmy Bruno and George Van Eps.

Many of them are guitarists, but some of them are pianists and saxophonists. It's more common among jazz musicians to have the view that nothing is exclusive, we steal from all instruments. So i often find myself stealing from saxophone players.

I hope that helps you in your search, atleast now you have a good basis of traditional jazz musicians.

Best Regards,
Sickz

This is a goldmine. Sickz, thank you sincerely. You put a lot of effort into helping me and this is beyond what I was looking for. This is a great resource, especially for people like me who are just getting started with jazz. Also. everyone, thanks for your help as well.
Quote by bslbryan
This is a goldmine. Sickz, thank you sincerely. You put a lot of effort into helping me and this is beyond what I was looking for. This is a great resource, especially for people like me who are just getting started with jazz. Also. everyone, thanks for your help as well.

No worries man.

Now if you´d like a more complete list, don´t hesitate to send me a message. I am very much into afrobased styles of music, or styles that have their origin in those styles. So jazz, fusion, funk, soul and blues is my jam.

I have provided folks on here with larger lists of jazz, gypsy jazz and jazz fusions musicians before. So as said, if you are interested, send me a PM.

Best Regards
Sickz

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
I'd suggest "Fly ME To The Moon" as it's a great song and my first Jazz standard (real easy song). It was also featured in the anime, Neon Genesis Envangelion (that's a plus).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52W_Y8l0zk8
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).
Last edited by RonaldPoe at Jun 28, 2014,
^ Me too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I might be an amateur at Jazz but I got a tip for Jazzy Improvisation. First find out the main key of the song. Then mix the melody with the corresponding scale and its modes. The solo should come out decently enough but you've got to get the feel. I also suggest listening to Jazz greats/Virtuosos like Buddy Rich (amazing drummer), John Coltrane, Art Tatum, Yoko Kanno (yeah she's an Anime composer but she's excellent at writing and playing jazz), ect.

I still recommend learning "Fly Me To The Moon" but other standards work too.
"I don't know what you're trying to suggest. There's no shame in taking what you need to hold your position!"

Super Buu (DBZ) on assimilation (it could also apply to blues guitar and guitar soloing in general).