Hi Forums

I have a Tokai EX55, and it has given me endless trouble relating to the neck-side strap peg.

The peg is positioned in such a way that if the neck is tilted up too high (which isnt very high at all) then the strap just slips off. Because the peg is right in the middle of an inwards curve, I can't use a strap lock because it pushes against the body and pulls the screw out. Currently I'm using a washer, but it tends to have too much friction against the peg and very gradually unscrews it as the guitar moves. I've tried a few locking mechanisms and these have also gradually unscrewed the peg, due to the angle.

I'm also unwilling to drill one in the back; I have another guitar with the peg in that spot and the neck dive drives me crazy.

What I've been looking for is some kind of extra wide strap peg, where the strap has to be srewed in with the peg. Does anyone know if these exist? Or alternately, does anyone else have an explorer and know a fix for what I'm talking about?

Cheers
I would just get strap locks. You are basically describing them anyway. People like Schaller locks alot. Personally I Have Dimarzio Strap locks on every guitar.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Most Explorers have that problem of the neck diving. All the ones i've owned before did that and it was sort of a pain in the ass having to kind of "hold it up" at the same time as playing but that's that.

I don't play em anymore, not for that reason, but I remember that specificly (omg I can't spell that word.... literally!) about them.

Do this to it, it's def a better option than it falling and cracking the neck! I've always used the Schaller locks as well and they've never failed other than when the strap was too thick and the washer kept coming unscrewed.
Thanks for your replies.

The grippers look promising, I hadn't seen anything like that before- but they look like they might wreck the strap a bit if it moves too much, unless they rotate.

The other locks look quite similar to ones I've tried before that ended up with the strap coming off at a strange angle. I'll have a better look.
If anyone's interested, I fixed the problem. The peg had a felt washer underneath it, which was allowing the peg to spin against the guitar. I simply replaced it with a rubber washer and kept the metal one on the top, above the strap. Problem completely eliminated, peg no longer unscrews itself.

Thank you for all your responses though, everything was researched and considered.
You could also have solved it by fitting the screw properly. Fill the hole (matches and PVA glue works) and use longer screws. If you do it properly it will never come out. You should still use something good like Schaller straplocks and install them properly like I described.
What you've described is a stripped thread in the wood of the guitar. Removing the washer allowed a small amount of new thread to be cut (effectively like using a longer screw.) You are now relying on this tiny amount of new thread to do ALL the work. It won't last. Fix it properly before it ends in tears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The washer wasn't removed, it was replaced with a rubber one. I had also done the toothpick thing before doing it anyway.
He means that you stripped the thread when you unscrewed and then put the screw back in, when you replaced the washer. Once you take a screw out from wood, is a bitch to put it back in without sealing the hole somehow.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by juliusxxrock
+1 on schaller straplocks.
I've used mine for 1 year, never failed on me.

schaller is the way to go, i probably have them on a dozen guitars for qiuite a few years, never had a problem.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/