I'm getting a Laney IRT60 head in November, but I don't know which cab to get with it.
Is there much point in getting a matching cab? People have told me if you're going to get a matching cab, it won't sound that different from the combo version, so there wouldn't be much point in forking out for a head and cab over a combo. Is this true?

Any advice on what to go for would be great!

Oh and my budget is £400 (about $680)
I think Zilla cabs are based on the other side of the pond, not sure where exactly but I've heard good things, maybe look around for a used one, or how much would an orange 2x12 run you, that would be good.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
if you want a 2x12 cab get this
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?sid=7b9ae521f4363971c89ff2b47b08b4d2

If you want a 4x12 get this
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

Use the leftover money to buy some accessories or save it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What kind of sound will I get from a Zilla or an Orange? Sorry I should have been more specific in the post: I want to know how the cab will match up with the head (I really don't wanna end up buying something I don't like the sound of, made that mistake with my current amp)

I'll be playing metal, rock and some clean stuff, I want a cab that can support/compliment that kind of playing.
^ that is an open back cab and probably is not a good choice for TS if he plays hard music
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by xtinction
Why are open backs not good for harder music?

The bass flubs out, a closed back cab will stay punchy and not flub out

The HB cabs I listed are made with plywood and they have V30's. They are also very inexpensive which is a big plus
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Will they sound good with both cleans and harder sounds?
Is there a downside to them, making them as inexpensive as they are? Or are they just really good value for money?
Quote by xtinction
Will they sound good with both cleans and harder sounds?
Is there a downside to them, making them as inexpensive as they are? Or are they just really good value for money?

Yes they will sound good with both types of music

They are made in china for Thomann, which is the largest music dealer in Europe.
No they are not made as well as an Orange cab, but they are made just fine for the typical guitarist. They are loaded with the same V30's that are in the orange cab also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've heard Orange gear is overpriced, presumably because it's so popular, is this the main reason the Orange cab is significantly more expensive than the HB ones?

Say I bought the Orange cab and the HB 2x12, would I notice a significant difference in tone?
Quote by xtinction
I've heard Orange gear is overpriced, presumably because it's so popular, is this the main reason the Orange cab is significantly more expensive than the HB ones?

Say I bought the Orange cab and the HB 2x12, would I notice a significant difference in tone?

Yeah it is like that with most really expensive brands, there is a big premium for the name. And I'd bet that that is one factor. The PPC212 closed back is more expensive but it is also made in England, the PPC212 OB is made in china that is why there is a big price difference between them.

You might notice a bigger difference if the orange is a closed back, because size and construction quality do affect the sound. Personally I'd get the HB cab over the Orange PPC212 OB. If you can afford the Orange closed back cab, I'd get that over the HB cab. but if your just playing at home and jamming with friends, the HB cab will do you right and sound good doing it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Closed back cab with 2 Celestion V30s and orange tolex - £550
Closed back cab with 2 Celestion V30s and black tolex - £130

Take your pick. How much do you want that sexy orange tolex?
Yeah, I actually had never seen an open backed orange so I didn't look close enough before posting that link. Orange is very good quality IMO, but, you also pay a bit for the name I'm sure. I've heard the HB cabs get bragged on for quality vs cost, but I know nothing more about them. I wouldn't put that much extra into the orange if its made in China too though honestly I would just get the HB or look into some more cabs. I think the Zilla cabs are custom made cabs like Avatar and White Box
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Don't mean to derail, but when you decided to buy the Ironheart, what speakers did you try it with, before buying? I would think that whatever cab made you buy the Laney - that's the one best for you...

Me personally, I'm a big Laney fan and when I can justify the money for an Ironheart - I'm getting that ish matched!
Quote by Robbgnarly
if you want a 2x12 cab get this
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm?sid=7b9ae521f4363971c89ff2b47b08b4d2

If you want a 4x12 get this
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g412a_vintage.htm

Use the leftover money to buy some accessories or save it

I had the IRT-60 and the harley benton g212 with V30, but I never really liked those two together too much.. i found it a little bit too "dark" sounding with that cab, but I could compensate this well with the controls (you have several options with that head) and get a nice result.

Since you asked, mine was the combo, so the speakers are the same as those in the Laney IRT cabinet. I found the stock speakers more "suited" for the head in terms of eq , but worse sounding than the V30 overall. Consider also that the combo is open back, while both the Laney and Harley Benton cabinets are closed back.

Overall, if you are on a budget, I would suggest you the g212v. This is also because I believe they are more reliable than the IRT head itself.
Quote by DrRus
Don't mean to derail, but when you decided to buy the Ironheart, what speakers did you try it with, before buying? I would think that whatever cab made you buy the Laney - that's the one best for you...

Me personally, I'm a big Laney fan and when I can justify the money for an Ironheart - I'm getting that ish matched!

The speakers Laney uses in most of their cabs are not the best, and your paying a bit more just for the brand name.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tried my mates IRT with my Zilla 2x12 V30 cab and it sounds great. Mids and bass is strong. Need to EQ to adjust the treble side of things.
His zilla 2x12 is slightly different from mine (K100's and a fatboy cab) Sounds to me its on a more treble side of things but still got the bass but less mids.

Got a zilla cab cause I know im keeping it for a long time. (thank you uni loan)
But on a budget grab the HB cab.
Or a 2nd hand closed back with V30's (thats just my opinion though)

EDIT: Zilla cabs are fully custom made too btw, you pick everything.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
the hb's hard to beat for the money. you're basically getting the cab for free. even if you hate it you can salvage the speakers and get a "better" unloaded cab and you won't really be behind (though i suppose you could maybe get an already-loaded v30 cab instead and save a bit since with a lot of cabs you don't have the option of getting them unloaded).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Laney cabs are shit. Well, the cab itself is good but the speakers they use are total shite. That's been a theme with Laney far as long as I've been playing. Great sounding amps, decent construction cab - shit speakers. I don't know what they are thinking over there.
I've heard an Ironheart through greenbacks and it sounded surprisingly good. He was playing grindcore. I thought, "this is going to be shit" when I saw him plug into that cab (a cab I use myself a lot) and I was pleasantly surprised. Not something I expected at all.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification