Just curious what everyone prefers and why.

Currently, I am using a pedal because I don't have a foot switch for my amp.
I prefer to use the distortion of my amp. I will sometimes use an OD pedal to boost my signal, but I prefer an amp that can do it over a pedal.

Most people here are gonna have very similar views
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Depends which amp I'm using.

With my Laney VC30, I use OD/distortion pedals through the clean channel, with the drive channel set up as my lead boost.

With my Jet City JCA22H, I use the amp's channels for OD & distortion with a TC Spark as the lead boost.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
For me its the same, use the amp drive and add an OD pedal to increase the amount of distortion. But if you are using SS amp, yes some of those have low quality distortion so a pedal may be a huge improvement in sound.
Depends on the amp. I have a Randall RG80, I use the amp distortion and a TS9. I have a Jet City JCA20H and it's a single channel so I dial it in cleanish and use a distortion pedal if I need a somewhat clean tone and distortion and if I don't need clean I crank it and use the TS9 in front. Then I have a Crate 2x12 combo that I use just the amp distortion since it's got a footswitch and 2 channels.
Amp distortion and the boost like Robb said. I used to have a classic 30 and for that amp I relied on a distortion pedal to get there. Really comes down to the amp. My Vox is not the amp I use for distortion and I don't try too, however it my fuzz pedal sounds better through that than through my Mesa. So, short point, amp distortion is where I go.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I use a dirt pedal cranked to holy hell, I have a one channel non master volume tube amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Depends on the amp.

And anyway, why can't I use both?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Well I use a simulated Mesa Dual Rec for all of my tones currently, riding the guitar's volume pot for various gain levels. Goes from semi clean to full on metal.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I prefer to use the distortion of my amp. I will sometimes use an OD pedal to boost my signal, but I prefer an amp that can do it over a pedal.

+1

It does depends on the tones I'm after and the amp I'm using, though. Generally if I'm after heavier tones and/or am using a high gain amp, I prefer the amp (with a boost, but the amp's still doing most of the heavy lifting really). With lower gain amps, or for things like fuzz etc., pedals can be nice too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dirt from pedals usually: my Fender HRD doesn't have the best overdrive channel, and I rarely- OK, never- push my amp to natural breakup levels.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dirt from pedals usually: my Fender HRD doesn't have the best overdrive channel, and I rarely- OK, never- push my amp to natural breakup levels.

I agree with you, I have a HRD too its too loud for home practise and small venues to push it to natural breakup. What I do is go on the more drive channel and set the drive at 5 and place a tube screamer before, generally, resulting in a very smooth distortion. For riffing on the lower strings (when I require more bass) I use MXR ZW-44 instead of TS9.
I use a distortion pedal (Boss DS 1), sounds much better than the amp distortion channel (Roland Cube 15).

And it depends on the amp distortion channel, if you like it then use a foot switch. If you don't, then use a distortion pedal.