I have the allender prs with emgs. I don't particularly prefer any type or manufacturer of pickup yet. These just happen to be what came with the guitar.

I also have a very cheap Kustom amp. I have been gradually feeling more dissatisfied with the way the combination sounds but there's no way for me to change the equipment right now.

I brought out the epi Les Paul Std. For a little bit and I was immediately thinking how much better it sounds. Too bad it doesn't play as well...
I also keep thinking about how much i liked the sound of the emg pickups through the tube amps at the gc, but i can't get a tube amp yet. I prefer tubes but they'll have to wait.

So in the meantime i just would like some advice about maximizing the sound quality of the EMG pickups through my Kustom amp. I don't care if it's a clean tone or distorted or anything in between, i just want to know what my modest collection of gear might be capable of doing. If you think i can get a great megadeth sound, then let me know what i should do and i'll find a way to be satisfied with that. If you think my best bet is a clean tone then that's fine too.

How does your epiphone not play well? A proper set up may make you fall in love with it again.

A solid state amp usually doesn't break up well, and the cleans may be too sterile for your tastes, I don't know. Have you tried playing with the EQ to try and get a sound you like more? I would also try playing with the tone knob on your PRS. You may find something you like there.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
How does your epiphone not play well? A proper set up may make you fall in love with it again.

A solid state amp usually doesn't break up well, and the cleans may be too sterile for your tastes, I don't know. Have you tried playing with the EQ to try and get a sound you like more? I would also try playing with the tone knob on your PRS. You may find something you like there.

I don't know what sort of life the epiphone used to have but it's got some issues that will need resolving and it's another expense that i'm wary about taking on right now.

I suspect that it used to be set up for heavier strings. I've got 10s on it but i think they're still smaller than what used to be on it. There's some tuning stability problems and i think that the nut (cheap plastic anyways) should be replaced.

I bought it used from the guitar center. It was my first guitar so i really didn't have any clue what i was getting. I like the way it sounds and i like having the classic-looking les paul body style but it's really far below the prs in playability right now.

It might make the most sense to trade the epiphone for a real amp, but i'm sentimental about it.
I have the same PRS. It is much nicer to play than my Les Paul. Like a sports car compared to a pickup truck. Maybe just try trying down the volume on the guitar so it isn't driving the amp so hard. Crank up the amp to compensate.
Quote by fly135
I have the same PRS. It is much nicer to play than my Les Paul. Like a sports car compared to a pickup truck. Maybe just try trying down the volume on the guitar so it isn't driving the amp so hard. Crank up the amp to compensate.

This helped. I tried a few things that hadn't occurred to me to try. I eventually ended up with amp gain way down and i now appreciate why it can't go any higher than that without making a farty unpleasant blat.

I can even control "break-up" (solid state version) a little bit with the guitar volume now. It's not a great tone but it's significantly better than it was.

Thanks.