I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro so it has a tune o matic bridge, though I'm not really sure what that does ^^" Anyways, as I was practicing It felt like I was little out of tune, so I of course decided to try tuning it.

I have both an electric tuner and a tuner built into my amp so I know it's not a broken tuner.

I have it tuned to eadgbe and every string is perfectly in tune (as much as possible) and as I was going through and checking each of the 5th frets I noticed that the 3rd string (g) at the 5th fret was very dissonant with the open 2nd sting.

I checked my tuners and it is playing a c at the 5th fret, not a b. All the other strings are in tune at the 5th fret except that one. I even checked the 12th fret harmonic thing and that is perfectly fine.

I just had my guitar set up and restrung yesterday, so I'd like to think that isn't the problem.

Any idea what's wrong?
Last edited by adamklisch at Jun 27, 2014,
you need to set the intonation. the bridge saddle that the string sits on needs to be moved to get the correct notes while it is open and fretted.

to do this tune the string and then fret the 12th fret and pluck the string. The notes should read the same on the tuner. if this note is sharp, you need to adjust the saddle twards the stop tail. If the note is flat you move the saddle twards the headstock.

Make sure you loosen the string some before you move the saddle (and mae small adjustments each time.
Then retune the open string and then check the 12th fret again.

It may take a few tries to get it right, but it is pretty simple
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 12th fret is perfectly in tune. I even just checked again to make sure. It's the 5th fret that is reading as a C not a B like it should be.
^

That.

If you cannot get the guitar to flawlessly intonate (no guitar can 100% flawlessly intonate), then at least get the intonation such that you can minimize the dissonance.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
And sorry, I meant 3rd and 2nd strings not 4th and 5th, I'll edit that.
Last edited by adamklisch at Jun 27, 2014,
All the same, adjust the bridge saddle's intonation until the problem goes away.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Fret the actual 12th fret, not just the harmonic to make sure.

Other than that, without seeing it in person it is all guesses. If you can't get it figured, take it to a decent tech and have them take a quick look at it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There is nothing wrong with your guitar. The note on the 5th fret of
G is a C, not a B. To unison tune the G string with the B string, you have to fret the G at the 4th.

Don't believe me? Count up. G Ab A Bb B C

Have a nice day!
Last edited by rigatele at Jun 27, 2014,
Quote by rigatele
There is nothing wrong with your guitar. The note on the 5th fret of
G is a C, not a B. To unison tune the G string with the B string, you have to fret the G at the 4th.

Don't believe me? Count up. G Ab A Bb B C

Have a nice day!

Ohhhhhh I see. Thank you very much, I was hoping that I was just making a stupid mistake like that.
Wait what? You thought that all the strings should be unison when fretting at the 5th?

Standard tuning has been developed as such so it's easier to play chords and scales. There's no real rules with tuning, but it's just that, the standard.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline