Hey guys i was wondering how many of you had tried blackstar amps specifically the ht-5. I wiuld like to start to make the transition to a tube amp. Im not really seriously considering buying yet though. I want to do more research and get more information before even considering buying. I just wanted to get your thoughts and see if it would cut theough the mix and stand up to a drummer without a pa. I play a les paul with a 496r im the bridge and a 490t in the neck. Any info or past experiences about blackstar in general or the ht-5 specifically would be greatly appreciated
Some people liked the HT 5 when it came out. I used to own one up until decemeber. Fell out of love with it a while ago before i sold it on though.

Just make sure you try other amps in the price range.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Yeah I have the Blackstar ht-5 metal version and I can't say I'm in "love" with it anymore. As soon as I get the extra money I will be trading it in for something else.
I was not impressed by the HT5 at all - except, surprisingly, it sounded really good playing slide on a tele through it. I'd never buy one (as you all know, I wouldn't give Blackstar the steam off my shit) but if you were playing bluesy slide it is worth considering if you can get past their unethical business practices.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by eknumber9
I just wanted to get your thoughts and see if it would cut theough the mix and stand up to a drummer without a pa.

Nah it won't.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
I have a Blackstar Ht-5h, and I really enjoy it. I am relatively new to tube heads, and a 5W head fit me well. Two channels, clean, Overdriven, nice and simple. But check all your options first.
I can't really say anything about the ht5, but I do have an ht1 combo. I think it's a good little practice amp, It has a lot of character.
I'm not a fan of any version of the HT-5, I'd rather get a Jet City -- better sounding amps for less money.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I was looking at the jet city 20 watt head too. Very interested by it. Thank you for reminding me Linkerman
yeah the jet cities are actually all-tube too, which is nice. in europe they're cheaper than the blackstars, and higher wattage too (so more suitable for gigging etc. as well than the ht5).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by eknumber9
Is it true that they are made by soldano?

Designed by Soldano. They're made in a Chinese factory and not actually built by anybody involved with Soldano in America. Still, they sound great and are actually built pretty well for cheap Chinese amps. Much better than the Blackstars, though they don't have the same features.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Thanks guys. Havent tried them yet but based on what your saying ive had my mind changed
Quote by mmolteratx
Designed by Soldano. They're made in a Chinese factory and not actually built by anybody involved with Soldano in America. Still, they sound great and are actually built pretty well for cheap Chinese amps. Much better than the Blackstars, though they don't have the same features.

yeah (you'll know better than me on how they're built but i've heard from amp techy types on other forums that they're built well for the price)

and yeah they sound really good. They benefit from different speakers, though, the jet city speakers, while not the worst cheap OEM speakers I've tried, aren't exactly great either. from what i hear they benefit from a tube swap too, but i haven't got round to that yet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mike Soldano is one of the owners, so yes, they are made by Soldano; just not in the actual Soldano factory in the US. Yeah, yeah, I know, splitting hairs.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah (you'll know better than me on how they're built but i've heard from amp techy types on other forums that they're built well for the price)

and yeah they sound really good. They benefit from different speakers, though, the jet city speakers, while not the worst cheap OEM speakers I've tried, aren't exactly great either. from what i hear they benefit from a tube swap too, but i haven't got round to that yet

Well, there's the qualifier. They're definitely built to a level above their cost, but they still aren't fantastic. Probably won't find better until you hit over $1k though, excluding used Peaveys, which destroy pretty much everything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^ Yeah, I understand- you can definitely sometimes oversell these things if you're not careful (and things being cheap tends to lower your expectations). And here in Europe Peaveys new (and hence used as well) are a lot more than in the USA. A new 6505 head is £1000 ($1700), for example. That's 4 times what a new jet city 50 watt head costs on Thomann

Quote by eknumber9
Do you own one yourself? What speaker cab pairs nicely with it?

yeah I have the 50 watt head.

Out of what I've tried I think I like eminence v12 speakers best (probably cheapest to just buy a cab and buy those speakers separately since they're fairly cheap (~£50) each and the only cabs I know which come stock with them are pretty dear and/or hard to come by).

v30s (when broken-in) actually sound pretty decent with it, too, maybe my second choice, and the harley benton g212 vintage cab on thomann comes with those speakers stock for a crazy good price (£160).

Bear in mind, though, other people may disagree. I've heard of people who hate it with the v12s, for example, or who preferred a v30 and g12t75 pair to two v30s (I didn't).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks a ton guys. Every one of you have been very helpful. Im thinking the jet city is the way to go. Of course i will try them both but great information all around
no problem let us know what you go for, or if you have any more questions. And yeah if you can try them first that'll let you know better than anything we can tell you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?