You are considering a guitar to purchase. Everything is really cool. Wait a minute - it has something you can't live with. It's a deal breaker. For you, what is it?

It should be something the guitar has, not something that's missing.

For me, it's a tummy cut.

Edit - also something that's not easy to change or mod out.
Last edited by rigatele at Jun 28, 2014,
Comfort, which can arise from a lot of things. Some guitars, I don't like the ergonomics- how it feels in my hand, how it feels against my body. Some. I don't like the finish- and by that I mean the texture or appearance. If it is used, it may have a smell I don't like.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
It might sound crazy, but I cant deal with a floyd rose (i had a really bad experience with a schecter and a fr). Maybe in time ill warm up to them, but for now itd be a dealbreaker (plus the fr version is usually like 50-100$ more expensive, so its a money saving hatred)
Neck heavy instruments. I made this mistake once, with an Epi Thunderbird. Never again. If a guitar or bass requires a huge suede strap, mods, or a counterweight to be playable it’s a shitty design and shouldn’t be on the market. So I consider almost every solid-body Gibson design a deal breaker.
Quote by teleobrien
It might sound crazy, but I cant deal with a floyd rose

I agree here. I had a Dean Signature Series. It was my first guitar. I hated it and sold for a profit. However I was wanting a Kirk Hammett but had a Floyd Rose and was completely against the purchase after that.

1996 Fender Tex Mex Stratocaster
1994 Ibanez Iceman ICB300 Bass
2011 Custom Gibson Les Paul
1984 Morley Power Wah
Squier P Bass
1983 Peavey Session 500
Line 6 POD 2.0.
Various BOSS Pedals
Pearl Forum Series Drums
Big neck heels. Can't stand them, and it's probably the only reason I don't own a PRS. Beautiful instruments otherwise, but I can't the heels.
"24 fret guitar with deep cutaways? Better put a heel up to the 18th fret on!"
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
3 Things: Floyd, EMGs or a set neck.

As much as I say I hate thick LP necks, I wouldn't mind it too much on specific guitars. However, Floyds are a pain in the ass to tune and restring, EMGs usually sound like shit to me, and a set neck is just a preference thing. I like bolt ons. I can deal with a neck thru.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Price tag.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
I usually steer clear of guitars with the pup selector at the top/left side of the body. I accidentally flip the switch when strumming and just can't seem to get used to it.
I also avoid most Fender Strats cause the volume knob is right where i put my spare fingers when picking or palm muting. They're also awkward if you're playing sitting down.

Imo, the foxiest guitar ever made is a Gold top Les Paul. And they can sound frickin' glorious. But sadly, they just aren't for me.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Its a good question and it usually a question that comes up.

Do I really need this?

Is it going to be of any use at all for me and in that case what?
Quote by lucky1978

I also avoid most Fender Strats cause the volume knob is right where i put my spare fingers when picking or palm muting. They're also awkward if you're playing sitting down.

This is pretty much my reason for not owning a strat.
I love them, i love the feel of them and the play. All apart from the volume placement.

Considered moving it and just having a master vol/tone but id get shouted at for modding a strat by my mates.

And i also hate chunky necks and skinny necks.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
1.Banjo tuners I tried a Gibson Firebird out thought they looked cool and I would like to rock one then I got to the tuners and and said WTF??
2. Floyd Kahler or other high maintenance trems.
3. Active electronics I can get a good tone without batteries so there is no point in having a battery operated guitar.
If it's already set up to my preference (thankfully, it never is, since I use medium-to-comfortably-high action), I'd have no reason to set it up, and that means I'd have less reason to bond with it.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone
A lot of people are saying a Floyd Rose is a deal breaker for them. For me, no Floyd is a deal breaker. I just like the versatility a Floyd adds to a guitar.

Also, high neck joints. Those suck.
Quote by Carrot
This is pretty much my reason for not owning a strat.
I love them, i love the feel of them and the play. All apart from the volume placement.

Considered moving it and just having a master vol/tone but id get shouted at for modding a strat by my mates.

And i also hate chunky necks and skinny necks.

Me too, about the strat volume knob. My wife has a nice Carvin bolt kit guitar that her dad built for her. It plays and sounds really nice, but I never pick it up. I've tried to work around it but I always end up hitting that knob when I play. I'd move the knob, but it'd be more work because it's set up like master volume (closest to the strings), master tone, and a toggle switch to split the bridge humbucker. It'd be more work, I'd have to get a push-pull pot or just not have a coil split, and I'm lazy.

Also, I generally don't like fender style bridges. I'm sure I could adapt, but palm muting feels really weird. All my other guitars have tune o matic ones.
Last edited by TheJawsOfDeath at Jun 29, 2014,
A tremolo.

And I find reverse headstocks irritatingly inconvenient.
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

Locking tremolos. It's really weird, Satriani, Vai, and Jeff Beck all rank amongst my favorite guitarists, but I have no interest in trem systems because I can never think of any interesting uses for them. Last thing I want to deal with is a trem where I can't change tunings easily.

Active pickups. Active electronics for things like an active three-band EQ or a piezo pickup I'm down for, but the EQ's mostly on basses, and I don't need to jump between electric and acoustic enough live to warrant the piezo. Active guitar pickups seem to mainly just be high-output, high-fidelity pickups, and I like medium output.

Thin necks. I have big hands, and small necks make my hands cramp up. The thinnest I'll go is Carvin's neck profile.

Rosewood fretboards on telecasters. I'm well-aware some great guitarists like George Harrison and Muddy Waters used rosewood teles. That doesn't make me like them, though admittedly I'd make an exception for a rosewood tele like George played.

Edit: Wow, so many people hate the volume knob placement on strats I love it personally, close enough that it's nice and easy to reach and adjust seamlessly.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jun 29, 2014,
I currently own 12 electrics, and included in that is pretty much every standard shape, Floyd Rose and hardtail, thick necks and very thin necks, maple and ebony and rosewood fretboards, EMG and passive and single-coil pickups etc.

Every relatively well made guitar (within reason) has a use. I find it hard to believe anyone would be so stuck in a certain preference they would not be able to very easily adapt to a new instrument, no matter the shape or form. For me personally, there is no perfect guitar. I gain and lose something every time I put down my Les Paul and play my Strat, every time I put down my Strat and play my V etc.

I just want to comment on the Floyd-issue - Floyd Rose trems are not high maintenance. They are logical and fairly easy to set up. There exists some sort of myth around Floyd Rose-trems among guitarplayers that seems to be upheld even though there's no reason to do so. They look terrible complicated at first glance, but they are certainly not.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
There honestly aren't many things that would be a deal breaker for me. Generally I know what I want out of a guitar, and I tend to only really consider models that have what I want anyway.

I'm the sort of guitar player who has more of a 'collector' mentality than 'player', and particularly I know what I want and I want lots of similar guitars that fit those criteria. Fortunately, up to now I've generally managed to rein in my GAS. Mainly I'm interested in Jackson/Charvel superstrats with 24 frets, HH, Floyds and maple fretboards, but I'll also consider other guitars/other manufacturers that fit with *most* of those.

I think most of the things that would really put me off are cosmetic, like the ridiculous abalone body binding you see on some mid-range guitars, or inlays that I don't like, or fretboards that aren't maple. Even so, if the guitar was good otherwise I'd still consider it and put up with the annoying features.
The deal breaker for me would be when the guitar has humbucker pickups, it's frets are not to close to each other or too high, the action should be as low as it can go when it still has good sound (not the "buzzing" one), and the most important factor on the guitar for me is playability and the ease of playing. I love playing both lead and rhythm guitar. So it has to be good for either playing fast and for playing simple chords and sounding good. It's best if the guitar has 24 frets, but 22 are also okay if the feeling and ease of playing are good for soloing. This would be a deal breaker for me. And even better if a guitar is either black, red, or white color combination. But what I always do when getting a guitar from the shop, is paying for the good setup, and then I'm fine.
Last edited by guitarbird23 at Jun 30, 2014,
For me its the neck. I don't like playing guitars with a thick neck. Also weight plays a small role too but not as bad compared to the neck
I dislike guitars with enormous headstocks. They just look disproportionate - imagine if you saw a girl who looked like a life-sized bobblehead. Would you still do her?

Other'n that, the usual folksy "has to be comfortable" nonsense.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Locking trem systems and neck heaviness are definitely dealbreakers for me. I switch tunings all the time and I don't have a use for a tremolo.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)